Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-13-2011

Woody is right! The coolant temp sensor is strictly there to read coolant temp not engine temp... once the coolant is gone it will register cold...Been there...

http://www.digi-panel.com/pricesheet.htm

It has several sensors. Two transmission sensors and one for the engine head temp and one for the oil pressure.
The nice thing about it is it has upper/lower limits preset with an alarm. The engine heat sensor affixes to the heads themselves and not in the coolant system so a unnatural heat rise even as the coolant is gone will still set off the alarm. Its like a second set of eyes on everything...

http://www.digi-panel.com/photo.htm

The head sensor bolts to the head and the others affix with a special epoxy and a bit of insulation to keep ambient temps from cooling off the sensor.

They had several models for a variety of needs.... http://www.digi-panel.com/index.html

It was talked about here on the forum in the past...
I think it has moved to the top of my list.

http://www.digi-panel.com/installation.htm

If anyone is interested in a (group buy) I would like to request our savings from each one purchased to go towards a unit for John if he is interested.

http://www.digi-panel.com/operinst.htm

Put me down for one.. I want one of the custom ones...

Last edited by Christian; 02-13-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-13-2011

Once you have spent all that money again, please be certain you sensor system is operational. At a minimum you should have received a check engine light when the coolant level past the sensor. I don't know if your coach is DDEC 1 so I will not speculate what should have happened after that warning occurred.

After reading all this, I doubt the warning system would have prevented the problem, just lessened the impact of same.

One statement pops out. A bent rod. If that bent rod repair was on the same side as the cracked head this problem may have been brewing for awhile and all along been related to those heads. Typically rods don't just bend themselves. Perhaps a static leak into the cylinder, turn it over to start and you have a catastrophe.

I wish you luck and will continue to follow along.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 02-13-2011

John's predicament strikes fear into the hearts of many DD 92 series owners. Since owning the coach, I've had the oil tested about every 10K miles to look for evidence of unusual wear, coolant and/or fuel contamination. My question for John (and others who have experienced catastrophic engine failures) is do you test your oil and was there any evidence of coolant contamination in the last test sheet?

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 02-13-2011

Leroy, I do need to find out why I had no warning. It worked at one time. I took a quick look at the coolant reservoir while waiting for the tow truck, but couldn't see a low coolant sensor. The bent rod was caused by one of the original heads leaking into that cylinder, and it was bent just as you said, while I was cranking the engine. New heads and a cylinder rebuild were done at that time. This will be the 3rd set of heads in 2 years.
"The Aviary"
Old 02-13-2011

Shane, I've never had my oil tested, but I've never put 10,000 miles on the oil. I try to change it the first time I'm home after reaching 3000 mi. Also each time the engine has to be repaired.
"The Aviary"
Old 02-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvahall View Post
Leroy, I do need to find out why I had no warning. It worked at one time. I took a quick look at the coolant reservoir while waiting for the tow truck, but couldn't see a low coolant sensor. The bent rod was caused by one of the original heads leaking into that cylinder, and it was bent just as you said, while I was cranking the engine. New heads and a cylinder rebuild were done at that time. This will be the 3rd set of heads in 2 years.
Dang. I would hope those guys check the deck on that block. Something ain't right. Reading the thread at least one set of heads were remans but still, that is done all the time.

There should be a sensor on that tank. I cannot remember if it has one wire or two. In ant event mine is on the right hand side a couple inches lower than the sight glass.
That tank although called a reservoir functions as the top of the radiator just like the little tank top on your car radiator.

Is your coach a DDEC 1 or mechanical?

Old 02-13-2011

You know, make sure those folks determine that your water galleys are open and clear in that block. If not there could be a hot spot cremating the head. Just another thought for a common link to these events.

Old 02-13-2011

Mechanical
"The Aviary"
Old 02-13-2011

OK. That is outside my pay grade but I bet Shane, Tom or Randy know how that light and buzzer works. I suspect it s a warning to get your attention. My DDEC II will actually warn and de-rate the engine if working properly. Then shut it down.

Old 02-14-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
The question I had was when the sleeves are installed are they slipped in from the top? With rubber seals at the bottom? and at the top?
Hi Richard,

I'm far from an expert on the two-strokers, but I've noticed that your question went unanswered. The two-stroke liners that I've seen have one seal at the bottom of the liner just above the intake ports. The upper portion of the liner has a flange which fits into a counter bore cut into the block. When the head is installed and torqued the flange is pressed tightly into the counter bore and my even crush slightly. Liners are installed from the top.

The Series-60 also uses seals at the bottom of the liner, but it uses two seals spaced an inch or so apart. Like the two-stroker, the S60 liner is installed from the top and the liner flange fits into a counter bore. On the S60 a certain amount of crush is required. The liner height relative to the deck should be -0.0005" and +0.003", after installation with the proper DD tool.

Here's a pic of an S60 liner. (BTW, anyone know what that groove just below the seal is for?):

Answer: I dug out my S60 workshop manual the groove I had a question about is actually a third seal called a "crevice seal". So there are three seals, two teflon coated D-shaped seal rings and a lipped crevice seal.

Last edited by davidmbrady; 02-14-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added the answer to my question.