Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
Kip or others educate me please; how does the Moen Mixer Valve affect the hot water side of the kitchen sink? Is it one big loop in the plumbing. Are you guys saying the hot water side goes through the shower to the vanity, to the kitchen sink. I know when my Versa-Valve got stuck for the 20th time we yanked it out with Woody's help and we haven't had a problem since. It makes winterizing a bigger pain but at least we have hot water everywhere when we need it. Unless the water heater is off. Once I had a mixer issue but it was because the bus was not level, we had low water pressure and the mixer had a calcium build up, in that case we were getting luke warm water in the shower. We had hot water available everywhere else. When the versa-valve is sticking you will not get water at all or a low trickle on the hot side.
John I'm afraid I didn't really read all of Chucks first post. After I quickly answered about the moen cartridge sticking I see that it was a system problem, not just the kitchen facet. I had no hot water at my kitchen and shower faucets which were both Moen and the cartridge clean and eventual replacement fixed that issue.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 11-08-2010
Administrator

The Moen shower cartridge & Spool (balancing ) valve , replacement and cleaning has fixed several hot water issues, I have not looked at a plumbing print, but it may be possible that the Spool valve restricts flow or blends cold and hot when stuck, since it is a non scalding valve operated by water pressure,
Old 01-27-2011

Default Shower valve problem.

Ok guys and gals I have run into a real head scracher. Progress is being made on the Red Ryder. My last week has been spent on tracing and replacing the bad water lines in the coach. All lines have been replaced and the plumbing is working as it should except for the shower. I get full flow and good pressure at all other faucets but just a small stream at the shower? I figured it was a bad cartredge so I got a replacement and that didnt fix it so I took it back out and left the valve completely open but still just a small stream? Any ideas?
Old 01-27-2011

Is it like described in this thread?

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...highlight=moen

The Balancing Spool can cause problems. Seems if you take it out, it should rattle when you shake it.
You should be able to soak it in like CLR to break it loose.

The real name is the "Moen 1423 Shower Balancing Spool for Moentrol" and it costs like 50 bucks.

This has been the cause of "no hot water" in the shower discussions but it could be stuck just right to significantly throttle the flow.

A search of this forum for MOEN will turn up something. If nothing else you can get a plan for getting a replacement if you are the original owner.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.

Last edited by Clueless; 01-27-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2011

I will do a proper search. Thanks for the info. I havent pulled the inspection plate yet. I didnt think there was anything behind there except the connections for the valve.

Eddie
Old 01-28-2011

Eddie, check the screens in the shower head itself , they get plugged up with mineral deposits
Austintown,Ohio
Old 01-28-2011
Black Sheep Division

I had the same problem with mine when I bought it. Do yourself a favor & buy all new parts. I spent some time taking the shower spool apart & cleaning it up with a wire brush & steel wool. It still would not work properly. Buy the valve cartridge, the spool and the check valve. It will save you a lot of frustration.

TOM
Old 01-28-2011

Where is the check valve located? I have already taken the cartridge out and tried to flush the spool out without the cardridge in. Still no luck. Pulling the inspection plate this morning to see whats behind it. I do have a new cartridge to go in the spool.
Old 01-28-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewommack View Post
Where is the check valve located? I have already taken the cartridge out and tried to flush the spool out without the cardridge in. Still no luck. Pulling the inspection plate this morning to see whats behind it. I do have a new cartridge to go in the spool.
If it is Moen, There is a brass plug , big straight screw driver.
soak it in vinegar it needs to be loose and rattle when Ya shake it.
Old 01-28-2011
Black Sheep Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewommack View Post
On mine, the check valve is in the right hand water pipe before it gets to the shower valve. It is a 11/16" plug looking device that has an adjusting screw in the middle. The screw adjusts the pressure on the check valve spring so it opens when you turn on the water & closes when you turn it off. I had to use a 3/8' drive, crow foot tubing socket to get it out.

TOM