Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Ernie Ekberg's Remodeling and Repair

Site Search:

Old 10-04-2015
Alice in Wanderlodge

Default Wood Stove?

Wondering if anyone has installed a wood stove into their Bluebird before? I'm thinking this might be a good upgrade if I can make space. I plan to live in my RV over the Winter and think a wood stove would ad charm and help to save on propane costs.

There is a really nice stove on the market right now called hobbit stove. These are made especially for small spaces and are very efficient. They are a bit pricy but would pay themselves off in about a year.
http://www.hobbitnorthamerica.com/
Old 10-04-2015

Add that to the bird, with a vent out the roof and you can look like one of those converted school buses that I see out here in the desert.
Bad idea.

you never appreciate what you have until it's gone.
Toilet paper is a good example
Old 10-04-2015

You might consider a catalytic heater. These use very little propane and can be mounted almost anywhere you can get a propane line to it.
They do a great job with radiant heat but do put out some moisture so have to leave a vent open.
Had one in our previous rv and it would heat the people and the furniture and keep you warm.

you never appreciate what you have until it's gone.
Toilet paper is a good example
Old 10-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
Wondering if anyone has installed a wood stove into their Bluebird before? I'm thinking this might be a good upgrade if I can make space. I plan to live in my RV over the Winter and think a wood stove would ad charm and help to save on propane costs.

There is a really nice stove on the market right now called hobbit stove. These are made especially for small spaces and are very efficient. They are a bit pricy but would pay themselves off in about a year.

Very hard way to heat. Where would you store your dry wood? Do you have a source for the fire wood or will you have to find someone to cut, split, haul and stack your wood. Not much room inside to stack wood so it will require trips outside to bring in wood but you could take the ashes out on the way.

I would look for other ways to heat or move south where you don't need fire wood.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 10-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by June Bug View Post

How could that stove pay for itself in about a year. Looks like it would cost around 1500 bucks after it was installed. You really think you will burn more propane than that?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 10-04-2015
Alice in Wanderlodge

Sounds like you have some interesting neighbors.

I'm still entertained by the wood stove, it would be really great if done right and done well.
Old 10-04-2015
Alice in Wanderlodge

Okay, maybe after two years or so as fire wood would be free living here out on the farm most of the time. Your right about that. It would however retro fit my lifestyle as I plan on full timing in my wanderlodge for at least the next three year, maybe more.
I do want to protect my investment and any upgrade I make has to be nice. I just bought my Bird and have been going over all the operating systems. 2 of the 3 propane heaters and fans need replaced and all electric heaters are not functioning properly. Even though the bus on the inside looks like mint condition there has been a lot of little this and thats that. I'm having this all looked at this week to make sure the water lines don't freeze as I just upgraded the water system.
Old 10-04-2015
Administrator

propane & electric heaters can probably be repaired
Old 10-04-2015

I have traveled in our coach at temps down to -12. I only got worried when we stopped traveling (i.e. moving). Once the engine and chassis cool down, you are essentially living in a large "heat sink". No matter what you do to heat the inside living space, the chassis is doing everything possible to cool it down... like the cooling system on a household refrigerator. Drive to a warmer climate or go and rent an apartment for 6 months. It's far cheaper than trying to live in an ice cube! Your propane furnaces and electric heaters were not designed for a 100% duty-cycle. Once you factor in the repairs and maintenance that will eventually "come due" on those items from overuse, you will be spending another 3 to 4 K to get them repaired and/or replaced.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 10-04-2015

Be certain to comply with State and Federal regulations.

http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production...aters-nsps.pdf

"I think your chance of fire would be less if you installed ten recalled Norcolds instead".

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/wood-...ler-85037.html

As indicated by Mr. Pape, I would make and effort to repair or replace your existing LP heaters and electrical heaters. If possible, attend a workshop at a Wanderlodge Rally. Attend WOG 2015 if possible and ask lots of questions.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401

Last edited by giderich; 10-04-2015 at 08:29 AM. Reason: fix's spellin