Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-07-2018
WanderBee

More progress today. I will get some pictures once the storm passes.

1. I installed a new "box" around the exterior refrigerator opening - used pressure-treated 1/2 inch plywood and then some 1x1 pieces on that to reattach the screws for the refrigerator access cover. I realized that the only thing holding the top of that cover in was the caulk/adhesive. The bottom was held in by my make-shift repair from a couple years ago. This one should last a good long while.

2. I covered the holes in the refrigerator access panels with foil tape. I still need to cut some insulation and have set up the stops for the opening and the pieces that hold it in as a means to hold the insulation in place when everything is closed up.

3. I cut down the upper cabinet by taking 1" off the top. I then slid everything up 1". I have one minor problem in that the cabinet doesn't quite clear the vent pipe. I'll show that in the pictures. But, it will be good enough. Also, the opening for the refrigerator is now 70 9/16" tall. That should be enough.

4. The hole in the top (in the plywood) is now covered. I will be able to insulate it from the top when I go to replace the top vent with a cover.

5. Started cleaning up to get ready for a refrigerator. I have some marks around the opening that I'd like to get rid of. Soap and water didn't work. 409 didn't work and neither did mineral spirits. Not sure what else to try?

6. Home Depot has refrigerators on sale through Jul 11 plus I have a coupon for another 10% off. So, I should be able to but it for around $900 plus tax and delivery. I'm planning to order it this weekend.

7. I finally got the gas line to the refrigerator cavity removed. It was in my way so I spent about 5 minutes and bent it and worked it out.

8. Project is almost done! All I have left is to plug the gas (I have the plug), do some vacuuming in the cabinet prior to delivery, and install the refrigerator. I will need to re-do the icemaker line fitting on the coach as well. After that I get to put the front seat back in place and then clean it really good and then I will be good to go.
Marietta, GA

Last edited by Joatha; 07-07-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2018
WanderBee

Here are some pics from the result of today's work.

Took me a couple of hours to get this far.

Pic 1 is the top vent. I later covered this with a piece of luan. Later I will have the vent removed and cover it with metal.

Pic 2 is the top cabinet re-installed after I cut it down an inch. I still have to add back the trim on either side. I'm not entirely happy with how this impacted the top cabinet. Its still there and usable but I had to wedge it in there pretty good and there's now a gap in the top of the cabinet that looks kind of chintzy. Not sure if I will be able to do anything about it or not. It will likely require redoing the rear part of the cabinet.

Pic 3 is the redone box around the refrigerator opening to replace the rotted wood. Plus, I have put foil on all the openings. Eventually I will add some foil-back insulation as well that can be removed for winterizing the icemaker line or any required maintenance for the rear of the fridge.

Also, I did get the gas line plugged. All I have left before getting the fridge installed is to vacuum the area again and see if I can clean up the area around the opening. After that, its just to add back the trim on either side of the upper cabinet to cover the bad spots and then put everything back to its place and clean it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180630_185655-small.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	56322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_163309-small.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	56323   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180707_163315-small.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	56324  
Marietta, GA

Last edited by Joatha; 07-07-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2018
WanderBee

Refrigerator has been ordered and is scheduled for delivery on Saturday. I went ahead and ordered it with a 5 year warranty. I figure if any fridge would fail, it would be one operating on an inverter and off campground power. Total bill out the door was about $1150 - pretty good IMO.

All I have left to do prior to delivery is vacuum out the cabinet real good. Everything else is not dependent on having the refrigerator out.
Marietta, GA
Old 07-14-2018
WanderBee

Woo-hoo! Almost done! But, it didn't happen without some drama.

So, I had the refrigerator scheduled for delivery today. They finally showed up around 2pm today. They ask if we are going through the front door. And I said yes....and pointed to the WanderBee. They were NOT happy to learn of this development. Now when I ordered the refrigerator, I specifically noted that this was going in a motorhome and it was expected to be delivered and installed in such. There was even a note on their delivery order.

We went round and round a bit before they just flat out decided they weren't going to do it. My choices were for them to take it back or drop it in the driveway in front of the RV. Now, *I* was not happy.

Fortunately, my brother and my nephew were here for a last minute visit and my brother offered to help me get it in there. So, I decided we would take it in the driveway. The delivery guys were giving me a hard time as they hauled away the old refrigerator about how small it was compared to the new one and how it would never fit in there. Blah blah blah. I was PO'ed by that moment. I was jawing back and forth with them both - knowing they were wrong about it fitting and how easy it would be to get it in there.

I finally cooled off. Then, we removed the doors and hardware and then the 3 of us picked it up and moved it inside, partially slid it in its new home and then put it back together. It took us about an hour. Moving it in was a piece of cake. I considered taking a picture of it in its new home and sending the guy a picture (he called me en route so I had his number). I decided against it.

My brother and nephew headed in and got cleaned up to go see a movie and I finished up putting things together - including reinstalling the front seat and the handrail and everything else. I got it all taken care of.

So, I'm all but done now. Only thing left is to put in a couple of boards to level it better and then to block it in place. Tomorrow we are going for a 30 miles bike ride. I may head to Home Depot to get those boards I need and also to yell at someone.

One last note....
I ended up buying a product to secure the doors on the refrigerator called a Fridge Fixer. We'll see how well it works and holds up. So far, I like it. https://www.recubed.solutions/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180714_173702-small.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	56495   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180714_173706-small.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	56496  
Marietta, GA
Old 07-14-2018
Forum owner

I always wave a 20 in front of those guys,that generally gets them busy.
But,you got it done and all is well.
Nice job.Good pics!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-14-2018
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I always wave a 20 in front of those guys,that generally gets them busy.
But,you got it done and all is well.
Nice job.Good pics!
I had a pair of 20's ready to go for them. But, they gave me attitude and grief from the outset so I decided I wasn't going there.
Marietta, GA
Old 07-15-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatha View Post
I had a pair of 20's ready to go for them. But, they gave me attitude and grief from the outset so I decided I wasn't going there.
They lost out brother!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-15-2018

Ditto Randy, carrots work better than sticks when someone is making min wage. Gotta tell them up front though.

The install looks nice! Whoever does the cooking is going to be happy. Keeps adult beverages colder too. Kev sent a couple pics of the refer coils on his new unit. We both think Samsung has made some modifications on their newer RF18’s to hopefully solve the early model icing issues. He’s installing his this weekend. On-the-road right now and so far my “upgrades” are working perfectly. Need to give them a bit and will open it up to check the coils.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	26457A1E-1614-4989-AEAD-A4C63FADB768.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	56497  
Old 07-15-2018
WanderBee

BTW, how long does it take for one of these fridges to cool down?

Since I had to turn it horizontal yesterday to get it in the door, I waited 24 hours to start it. I just did that about 30 minutes ago - fired up the generator and AC and started the refrigerator. I stuck it on power cool and power freeze. Now we get to see if it actually works. I'll let it run on generator until it gets to temperature. Hopefully, that won't take too long. I'm sure it will be better than the 24 hours or so it required for the Dometic!
Marietta, GA
Old 07-15-2018

We got a washer from Lowes back in the winter and when delivery guys arrived they wanted to drop it in the driveway. They said their paperwork didn’t say anything about having to take it inside. We went a couple rounds of that until I snatched their paperwork and showed them it definitely said to install it and set existing dryer on top.
We finally bought the matching dryer a couple of weeks ago and a different pair of, English as a third language, guys showed up. One guy gave the same song and dance. The other guy couldn’t sing. No habla. They didn’t know anything about taking it inside. Said they’d drop it in the driveway or take it back. I did the right thing and politely,sorta, told them where they could put the dryer. It wasn’t in my driveway. After a few call to mgr. at Lowe’s they sent the dryer back with a different crew and installed it.
It seemed to me that was a standard ploy used by delivery guys to jack up some buyers for more money. Lowe’s agrees to deliver and install the things. The delivery company knows they have to do it but the guys in the truck are paid, I think, for each delivery so the more they deliver the more they make. The less time spent on each delivery means more money in their pocket. Then they send that money south.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold