Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I bought about 40 Toyos a few years ago,the semi they came in smelled terribly of cat pee.
But,the last batch i bought did not smell,thats my story and i'm sticking to it..

Speaking of tires, do you have any good deals. I need a couple or 6 or 8?

David & Nicole Stokes
Valdosta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677

Independent Consultant
The Pampered Chef
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/davidstokes
Old 07-12-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debugjaws View Post
91 WB. Last year was our first full summer with the bird. Wefirst noticed a strong sewer type odor towards the front of the coach when parked, usingthe air. At times I would notice the same when showering using the fantasticfan in the bathroom. The same is also present when driving down the road, atthe front of the coach with just the driver’s window open.
Attempting to solve this I have replaced the black/graywater vent cover on top of the coach with a 360 vent. Nope, didn’t solve it.Next, I removed the toilet (Aquaphor LF220 electric) and put a new vent tube in.While at it, I replaced the floor wax ring, and also the bowl to hopper seal,all with the latest stuff from Ed Mullaney and Associates. Nope. Still stinkygoing down the road. I've also replaced the AC filters, no change.
At this point I’m at a loss. Is there another vent that I ammissing? Could the AC drains have anything to do with this? Any thoughts youall could share would be helpful.
Try the rest of the suggestions in this thread but if those don't get rid of the stink, I would suggest pulling the toilet again and replacing the wax ring with a Korky wax free gasket.

On our Microphor LF-220, the Korky gasket seals much better than any of the wax rings I've tried on it over the years and it isn't affected by extreme temperature changes like the wax rings were. Plus... it fit like it was made for my LF-220:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Korky-Rubbe...ersal/50150240
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 07-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clembo View Post
Do you have Toyo tires? Mine smell like a pig lot. Makes me mad as **** to think about it. Their one year old and still stink especially when its hot.

hahaha! i too have noticed that the toyos smell like a black tank. i rolled two into my shop and they still stink.....
Old 07-12-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stokes View Post
Speaking of tires, do you have any good deals. I need a couple or 6 or 8?
Not until i get home in Sept,then i can get you Toyos or Yokohamas.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Not until i get home in Sept,then i can get you Toyos or Yokohamas.

Sounds good. I can wait that long. I can even wait until Oct if there will be a tire guy at WOG.

David & Nicole Stokes
Valdosta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677

Independent Consultant
The Pampered Chef
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/davidstokes
Old 07-12-2018

My 82 had the stench when driving and such. I found by the shower drain under coach a vent came loose off the drain and while driving wind would make the order. Fixed the pipe. And problem solved. Worth a look
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 07-12-2018

Default smoke test

Have a smoke test performed on your coach.

With empty tanks and the tank valves open, they inject lots of chemical smoke into the tank opening. If your system is good, all of the smoke goes out through the roof vents. If there is a problem, the smoke will be visible inside the coach. If the trap is dry on the washer or any sink or if the one way vent valve is suck open, you will see the smoke.

Now here is the story.

Back a few years ago, I was living in my coach in Louisville, KY, and working claims from a large hail storm. The coach was hooked up with the black tank valve open and the flex hose in the sewer dump.
As I returned to the coach the entire neighborhood appeared to be on fire. There was smoke exiting the vent pipes on every house on every block, for as far as I could see. My weak mind could not grasp what it was seeing. What the heck is going on?

When I entered the RV park, smoke was pouring out of the sewer vents pipes on the roof of nearly every RV in the park. When I checked inside mine, there was smoke coming from behind the unused washing machine.

About that time the camp ground owner stuck his head in the door and explained that all was good and not to worry.

Seems like the city runs a sewer smoke test occasionally in the neighborhood around the Ohio River. They are looking for broken underground pipes and illegal sewer connections. I ran the washer through a cycle, which filled the trap, and I have not notice any smell since that time.

Some plumbers have the tools to do this test.
2004 Forest River M B Cruiser (toad)
1978 FC35 (totaled by fire)
Old 07-12-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoadjuster View Post
Have a smoke test performed on your coach.

With empty tanks and the tank valves open, they inject lots of chemical smoke into the tank opening. If your system is good, all of the smoke goes out through the roof vents. If there is a problem, the smoke will be visible inside the coach. If the trap is dry on the washer or any sink or if the one way vent valve is suck open, you will see the smoke.

Now here is the story.

Back a few years ago, I was living in my coach in Louisville, KY, and working claims from a large hail storm. The coach was hooked up with the black tank valve open and the flex hose in the sewer dump.
As I returned to the coach the entire neighborhood appeared to be on fire. There was smoke exiting the vent pipes on every house on every block, for as far as I could see. My weak mind could not grasp what it was seeing. What the heck is going on?

When I entered the RV park, smoke was pouring out of the sewer vents pipes on the roof of nearly every RV in the park. When I checked inside mine, there was smoke coming from behind the unused washing machine.

About that time the camp ground owner stuck his head in the door and explained that all was good and not to worry.

Seems like the city runs a sewer smoke test occasionally in the neighborhood around the Ohio River. They are looking for broken underground pipes and illegal sewer connections. I ran the washer through a cycle, which filled the trap, and I have not notice any smell since that time.

Some plumbers have the tools to do this test.
I have smoke tested lots of stuff!
But never plumbing!
Great story,and a good way to find leaks.
Make a smoke machine that goes onto your dump pipe and away you go.
a small metal bucket with a lid,put some pot,errr,pine straw in the bucket and a few vent holes and a hole in the lid for the dump hose and you have a smoke machine.
Or,a sewer bong!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com