BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Forum Help

Forum Help Get help here if you're having trouble using the forum

Site Search:

Old 02-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTTU View Post
Are you just using the manage attachments option below the reply to thread button?
Yep, that's what I'm doing.

Quote:
Hmmm... I was able to attach this photo. Are you getting an error message of some kind?
Error message reads: Upload of file failed
Old 02-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Error message reads: Upload of file failed
How big a file is it?
Old 02-09-2017

Quote:
How big a file is it?
It's 3.7MB. Maybe too big for the upload.
Old 02-09-2017

Yep... limit was 2M, but I just set it to 64M. Try it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2601.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	47360  
Old 02-09-2017

Yep, it's working now. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BurgersOnTheGrill.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	47362  
Old 02-10-2017
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Yep, it's working now. Thanks.
One week in Key West and you loose your touch, it must have been those hot wings that did it

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
One week in Key West and you loose your touch, it must have been those hot wings that did it
...and the sun, and the beer, and the warm tropical breezes.
Old 02-13-2017

Default Status? & Inline Posting

What is the status of the recovery effort? Am considering going back and reloading some of the more important missing pictures. Also - prefer to not waste my time so has a reliable offsite WOG backup plan been implemented?

Quote:
We can go back and edit posts to attach new pictures, but let me see if I can work some magic with the failed drives first. How do you do in-line picture posting? Is the picture hosted on a photo sharing site and you just post a link to it?
John describes the process HERE. Yes, an inline picture must be hosted elsewhere on the web. If that hosted site later shuts down, the pic is removed or it is moved to a new folder location - then the link will not work and the previously displayed in-line WOG picture will disappear until the link is reestablished. When the picture is initially posted it must also be sized to display properly (640x480 or 800x600), so the poster needs to manually resize the picture from the huge MB file sizes newer cameras use before posting the inline link to the WOG.

With attachments posted to the WOG as such, the WOG server keeps and retains the pic on its equipment. The advantage being that the picture will be available to future generations of members forever, as long as a reliable backup is maintained in case of a disaster . Also, resizing even very large picture attachments is not necessary before they are initially uploaded by the poster (when their size falls within the parameters set by the system managers).

Last edited by NoGas; 02-13-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2017
Forum owner

its always better to post the pics to WOG.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
What is the status of the recovery effort? Am considering going back and reloading some of the more important missing pictures. Also - prefer to not waste my time so has a reliable offsite WOG backup plan been implemented?
The physical drives are en-route to me. I exhausted what I could do with them remotely so I'll try some more intensive recovery efforts when I have them in hand. If FedEx tracking can be believed they will arrive tomorrow night.

The issue started on 2/4 with the failure of both SSDs in a mirrored array (technically one failed and about an hour later the second one failed, this was at about 5am CST). The statistical chances of loosing two solid state drives at the same day are mind bogglingly low. To add even more insult to injury the drives are less than 2 years old, have a 5 year warranty, and in testing have been shown to have a 15+ year real life with what is statistically zero failures.... but they failed and it is what it is.

After spending a couple of hours attempting to get at least one drive to work long enough to recover the array I gave up and setup a new server from scratch using the off-site backups. This new server is what we're now running on.

The off-site backups were apparently incomplete at least when it comes to the attachments directory. Actually, they were incomplete when it comes to my own website as well, but that's a different issue and probably of less interested to the WOG community.

So, to answer your question, a new off-site backup system is now in use, but is it more reliable than the old one? I don't know. It looks to be 100% perfect, the number of files, file names, file sizes, checksums, etc all match so it should be good, but then so did the old one and therefore if I said yes its more reliable I'd simply be telling you what you want to hear... that said all 168,983 files and 39,439,534,633 bytes are accounted for on the off-site backup.

Also in the works is a hot spare mirrored server. This is about 90% complete and I hope to have it 100% complete by the end of the week. Should we have any hardware failure again, even a statistically impossible one, we'll be back on line much more quickly and with much less hassle.

Longer term I plan to add another mirrored server at an off-site location to bolster the overall backup strategy.