Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 11-28-2019

Default 10 Years Ago Today I Met Randy Dupree...

Before buying my 'Bird almost 10 years ago, I had never even changed the oil on a car. Although I had seen it done. I think.

Ever since I was a teenager I dreamed of having first an old hearse, then an army ambulance, and then for many years I wanted to buy a 4501 Scenicruiser, and convert it to a motorhome. I saw so many ads in Bus Trader magazine for partially converted Scenicruisers, many with all the appliances you would need to finish the conversion.

Apparently the first step in a Scenicruiser conversion is that you have to tear out the floor and lower it to the same level as the recessed aisle. Unless all your friends are 4'6" or shorter.

In reading the ads and talking to some of the sellers, the common factor that explained the incredibly discounted price was that the seller was going through a divorce. Apparently most marriages do not survive a DIY Scenicruiser (or other Greyhound) conversion.

Fast forward to 2009, with two popups (one of which my first wife and I lived in for 6 months while our first house was being built), a class C, a 4WD van conversion, and renting several Class A's under my belt, I found the WOG site while going through my second divorce.

Since I already had the divorce(s) taken care of, I was ready to escape Florida and quickly realized that I wanted a WanderLodge just to be able to be a real WOG member and have access to all the resources--even if it turned out that a Bird wasn't my first choice (turned out it was).

Anyway, I wanted to involve my Brother David. We had put down a deposit years before on 50' sailboat, but he decided to get a divorce instead (#3). I had managed his professional racing crew and I had some idea of a sharing arrangement--he (being a retired doctor) would pay most of the costs and I would keep the coach here in Florida and/or meet him somewhere in between. Made sense to me.

David flew down to Tampa from Oregon (yeah, not exactly close enough for a time sharing arrangement) for Thanksgiving, 2009. I had been talking with Randy and wanted to meet him when David was in town. I asked Randy when would be a convenient time for us to come by--Thanksgiving morning or Thanksgiving Afternoon, or whatever time Thanksgiving Day was most convenient for him.

Randy graciously invited us to his home in Archer on Thanksgiving Day. I was wondering (a little late) if we were intruding, when a huge dark beowolf, straight out of Game of Thrones, put her forelegs up on the fence and stared menacing down at us, apparently deciding which of us she would eat first.

That was my first meeting with Sadie, and I gave her maximum respect from that day on.

Before I pause the story for now, I'll add that my punishment for intruding on Randy's Thanksgiving was a wild ride with Arlo driving the coach he had for sale. After a brief tour, Arlo started up his coach and prepared to depart on a "test drive". David had such a concerned look on his face I asked him if the asking price was scaring him.

David, 30 years sober and counting, recognized a fellow drinker when he saw one.....

David
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 11-28-2019
Forum owner

And we have been friends ever since!!
Thanks for the memories Jim!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-28-2019

Love it!
Cape Cod,ma
Old 11-28-2019

and her i was a ne membe of a site called WOG looking at a Low Mileage white 1993 WB in new Smyrna Boy Did I want that coach , lol

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 11-28-2019

Jim, I actually bought a 4501. My first trip from California to Georgia in a bus. I have now done that trip three times. The 4501 had been converted many many years before and needed to be completely redone. We almost froze crossing the desert. Hot as could be during the day. Went on a huge learning curve. Those things had highway gears. They would get you a ticket quick if not careful. An interesting things about the Scenicruiser is they never had fuel gauges. They would hold more fuel than they could burn in a day. At the last stop it would be refueled. In the early 70's the Greyhound shop could change a 8v71 in just over an hour. After a few years I realized I wasn't going to get the remodeling done in my lifetime and sold the bus. Its been redone as a Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream bus and is Amsterdam, Netherland.
I got a Wanderlodge. No bus conversion will ever stand up to the quality of a Wanderlodge.
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder
Old 11-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
and her i was a ne membe of a site called WOG looking at a Low Mileage white 1993 WB in new Smyrna Boy Did I want that coach , lol
White is an interesting way to describe my coach’s color scheme. The staff at a campground I used to frequent outside Philadelphia called my coach “the Barbie Doll Bus”. One of them thought my name was really Ken, until I finally corrected him!
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL