Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4rrx View Post
From what I understand if you want to use efs at the auto pumps you have to go inside to run it. Because I'm usually pulling the truck I never consider using them anyway. The worst thing about filling the FC is that usually a driver only pulls up far enough to clear the back of the trailer not realizing my fill is at the back of the bus. As long as you aren't wasting time and blocking the pump without actually fueling I don't see the problem.
Chris, how do you avoid the fuel burp.

I fill at the truck pumps and run at the lowest setting or hold the pump handle at a low setting. It works and doesn’t take that long.
Old 1 Day Ago

I stand there, holding the high flow nozzle barely open, and stare down into the fill neck. Stop and let it settle when needed. Usually I go until I see actual diesel coming up into the neck and not just foam.

Fuel stops are not quick for me.
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4rrx View Post
I stand there, holding the high flow nozzle barely open, and stare down into the fill neck. Stop and let it settle when needed. Usually I go until I see actual diesel coming up into the neck and not just foam.

Fuel stops are not quick for me.
Lol, we are living the same dream.
Old 1 Day Ago

When I had my SP (10 years) and was fueling at truck stops before they raised their prices. I could almost always hear (different sound if you listened at the fill tube) when it had filled to the point it had to vent thru the vent tube rather than thru the fill tube. That was the time to either quit or at least slow down the fill rate.

The issue went away when most truck stops decided to rip off the RV customers. I started to use lower cost small stations and Wal Mart, Costco, etc. Decided I was retired and didn’t need to pay extra for high speed pumps. Pen Fed card helped also.

Nice now that TSD has made it possible to go back.
Old 1 Day Ago

I was filling up the other day and had it on the lowest setting and it still burped and splashed all over the place.... I had heard about a whistling device that some old buses used to use to tell when its getting full. I guess they also use them on heating oil tanks to know when to stop filling them. I have been looking at how I could adapt that to the tank and have a better idea of when its getting full. I do not want to be covered in diesel again..

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 1 Day Ago

Jim, I had the same experience, I stopped using truck stops. It not to difficult to get my bird into the smaller gas stations. But the last trip we took the best price by a fair margin was the EFS card. This was the first time I used the card and wasn’t entering one number correctly on the pump so I called customer service and found a human to talk to, this was very late night on thanksgiving(surprised). A very kind older lady helped me figure out my problem and get fueling. I’m very pleased with the fuel card and the people that I’ve spoken to, the customer service lady and the lady who took the sercure data over the phone and finished my application to the quick turnaround getting me the card, really a first class group.

Jeff yeah same here I just stand and hold the pump it’s a good grip workout, doesn’t matter how full my tank is, it burps when fueled to fast.
Old 1 Day Ago

Silverleaf tells me how much I need (roughly) and I fill quickly to about that point then slow way down. Looking forward to my TSD card shortly.
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 99k/22xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 1 Day Ago

Hadn't tried the commercial pumps till I got the TSD card. Love, love, love it!Way faster than the regular pumps (no burping, probably due to dual fill on the bus), don't have to re-do the card every $100 (& sometimes get it refused the 3rd or 4th time). And then on top of that, saving 30-40c per gallon!
On our last trip we refilled 4 times. Using the route planner on the app, I could decide where to refuel, & I tried to time it to mid afternoon when the commercial lines didn't seem too busy. The only issue I had was once, when the driver pulled forward after re-fuelling - then just stayed there. I think he did it on purpose because he was in his cab, and when I tried to maneuver past him after waiting about 15 minutes, as soon as I was past him he pulled away also. There are always some a$$holes though. Every other time, no problems, friendly truckers, I'm sold!!
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 15 Hours Ago

I requested a card last week and within a few days a representative contacted me...
I could not give her my routing number on my checking account at the time but was able to later...
Waiting for the card any day now...
If I don't get it by Tuesday of this week I will give them a shout...
We are leaving for Florida next Friday and would like to save some cash...