Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-19-2008
Campground Owner

Default Locked Out

Ok, here's a good one. I have been having trouble with the push button door lock on my 88WB. Trouble getting it to unlock, and once it locked when the door was slammed shut. Now, it has done it again, only now I am outside, locked out. Any ideas???
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 02-19-2008
Administrator

This has been on the forms before , I do not remember all the posible solutions. Obviously check all windows for access,
Our 88 has a dead bolt and the key lock door handle.
Decide which one is locked. There are always lock smiths that will charge a fee to solve the issue. A very drastic last effort is break a window.
BUT NOT ADVISABLE.............. A lesser drastic remedy is to remove the fantastic fan, and find a skinny person to jump inside the Bird.

It is difficult to break into the tank.
Old 02-19-2008
Campground Owner

Yes, its going to be a b----. Its the door handle lock, not the deadbolt. I don't think a locksmith will help much, its the linkage to the Nadar pin latch, and the latch itself. Thank you for your reply.
www.xcreekrv.com
Old 02-19-2008

you can remove the window glass on the side windows without breaking it
give me a call

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 02-19-2008

Default locked out

Hate to ask but how does one get locked out, I keep a spare key hidden, just in case I lose my keys.
Walker
894FC35
kcmo
Old 02-19-2008
Administrator

Sometimes that fancy RV door handle / lock jams,
and needs repaired or replaced.
Old 02-20-2008
Campground Owner

Default I got it open

Yes, that was the issue. I was not realy locked out. The door latch/lock system had failed, and would not unlock. I was very lucky, and jiggled the key for about 30 minutes, and finally it unlocked. I then removed the door liner to determine what happened. The is a small spring in the latch that is now missing, down in the door is supect. This spring supports the linkage when the latch is at rest, and allows the locking action to move smoothly. When it was lost, the linkage weight jams the lock button linkage, causing the door to become locked, and not allowing the key to work. I will be installing a new spring ASAP. Sure am glad I didn't have to go in through the fantastic fan!!
www.xcreekrv.com
Old 02-20-2008
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Sometimes that fancy RV door handle / lock jams,
and needs repaired or replaced.
Very true. My RV latch was getting very sticky, so I removed the inside panel to see what I could do. After fiddling with the linkages between the inside handle, the pushbutton lock, and the exterior handle I discovered that there was no obvious missing/broken item. (It seemed like there ought to be a spring to hold the turn-plate in the correct position near the top of the mechanism, but there was no sign of a broken spring.) Apparently, the sag I noticed in the system was simply a matter of wear. The metal plate where the several linkage arms connect turns as you open the door with one of the handles, but it would move past the point needed, then not return to the 'neutral' position. (Both the inside and outside latch handles would feel oddly loose when this occurred.)

After fiddling with the linkages for some time, without solving the problem. I finally installed a bungee cord to pull the turn plate back into the correct position after moving the latches. Problem solved. When I get around to it, I'll replace the rubber bungee cord with a bit of steel cable and a spring since the rubber is likely to break down in a relatively short time. Once the cord was installed, the latches operated like new.

Perhaps a locksmith might have been able to repair this without resorting to an extra spring, but it turned out to be a simple, cheap, and effective repair.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 02-20-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyclegg View Post
Yes, that was the issue. I was not realy locked out. The door latch/lock system had failed, and would not unlock. I was very lucky, and jiggled the key for about 30 minutes, and finally it unlocked. I then removed the door liner to determine what happened. The is a small spring in the latch that is now missing, down in the door is supect. This spring supports the linkage when the latch is at rest, and allows the locking action to move smoothly. When it was lost, the linkage weight jams the lock button linkage, causing the door to become locked, and not allowing the key to work. I will be installing a new spring ASAP. Sure am glad I didn't have to go in through the fantastic fan!!
Tom Seitz did a similar repair to his SP and eventually did the same repair to many other 'Birds at the RATS rally two years ago, including mine. I'm sorry that I didn't remember that until you mentioned it....I'll just blame it on old age

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-20-2008
RV Appraiser

Once upon a time: Last fall I did a really stupid thing, I put too many coats on the coat hook which was installed on the cabinet next to the side door. When I shut the door the sleeves to the coats got caught in the hinge area and it jammed the door when I slammed the door shut. I tried opening the door but the pressure from the jammed sleeves would not allow the door bolt to move. As a result of my stupid impatient behavior I broke the door handle off in my hand. What a crapper, I was really locked out. I was so POd I was looking for a brick. After cooling down a bit I called all my buds with birds like mine and I was able to get access with a screw driver jimiminging the latch assembly, under the busted door lach assembly.
Only if I had the sense to push on the left door edge area and try to open the door handle I might had prevented the busted door handle. Next time try pushing on the left edge of the door and entering your code to see if the door will open, just a thought, the door may be binding on coat sleeves. A Bargman L300 latch assembly is about 80 bucks and the experience of replacing the latch, priceless......
John 88FC35