Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 04-08-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Front and Rear Suspension Panhard Rod Bolt Failure Warning And Repair

REAR SUSPENSION PANHARD ROD BOLT FAILURE WARNING AND REPAIR
A link to a photographic description of the warning and repair of the rear panhard rod failure on 'Birds. the failure warning article is by Jeff Miller

Be sure to click on NEXT at the right of each page for more information, only if your are viewing these pictures on my web site;

Be sure to also check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes and Suspensions > FRONT PANHARD BAR REBUILD

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > Front Panhard bar bushing replacement

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > Failure of Right Front Panhard Bracket

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > Panhard Replacement Sources
Old 11-05-2008

Default FRONT PANHARD BAR REBUILD

One of the items that Randy and his helper Glenn did for me during my visit to Archer this year was to rebuild the front panhard rod on my 'Bird. I went down to Raneys Truck parts in Ocala, Fl. and purchased the new bushings and had them pressed into the old panhard bar, as it takes a special tool to do this properly and then Randy and Glenn installed it on the 'Bird, It should make a difference in the front end and steering performance and I will find out later today, as I head back to my homebase in South Carolina.

I also replaced the bolts and nuts and the bushings were part of a Hutch Repair Kit pn#TUA TRK6326 and they looked very similar to what I used but had to modify to fit the REAR SUSPENSION PANHARD ROD BOLT FAILURE WARNING AND REPAIR.txt

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-05-2008

Default Part numbers for the bushings??

John, would you happen to have the part numbers for the bushings in the panhard bars?? I think my bushings have some play and I would like to replace them.

Thanks.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 11-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronw View Post
John, would you happen to have the part numbers for the bushings in the panhard bars?? I think my bushings have some play and I would like to replace them.

Thanks.
Read my post a little closer and check out the link the part number are right there. Hutch Repair Kit pn#TUA TRK6326

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-05-2008
Forum owner

john came down for a motormount replacement job,the rear mounts on the sides of the bell housing were bad,25 years of heat and oil had taken their toll.
i have been avoiding this job for two years,its a real bad job.
and last year my helper glen quit for the 20th time in 30 years.
glen is my small helper that does all the tight work,i'm way to big to fit in lots of places that glen can get into.
anyway,while Glen was fighting the motor mounts i was looking at and inspecting other items on johns coach.

the front panhard bar had small slivers of rubber coming out of the bushings,so i removed the bar and sent john on a parts chasing trip.
the bar takes a 1.5 inch socket,and i had to use my big ratchet to get the nuts off,a 3/4 drive with a 36'' handle.

john had to miss his nap,but someone had to go get parts!

the bushings were terrible,i'll bet that the drivability of the finns inn will be immensely improved.
new bolts were used on the install,the factory bolts were not the proper bolts,and every coach i have done this repair on has had the wrong bolts,which allows a little more slack than the proper bolts.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-05-2008
Forum owner

those bushings only cost less than $10 each,and pressing them in was $25 at the truck shop.
of course,mine and glens labor cost him PLENTY!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-05-2008

Oh yeah, read the post closer. I thought the kit was just the bolts, oops. Thanks for the good info you guys.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 11-06-2008

Looks like I have to add this job to my list. When I twisted the bar with a pipe wrench, I could hear a metal on metal clunk. My bolts will have to come out with an acetylene wrench because the heads are too close to the frame of the front leveling jacks to slide all the way out. If the bolts were put in from the front, they would have room to come out(I think). Or does the leveling jack frame need to be removed?

Randy, what do you mean about the wrong bolts? Not long enough?

David Hollis 84FC35 Springfield,IL
Old 11-06-2008
Forum owner

we had to saw johns old bolts out with a sawzall.
the factory bolts had to many threads on them,the threads went into the area where the bushing is,the bolts shoulder needed to be longer.
the bolts with the kit have a long shoulder and short threads,and a flange on the nut and bolt head.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthollis View Post
Looks like I have to add this job to my list. When I twisted the bar with a pipe wrench, I could hear a metal on metal clunk. My bolts will have to come out with an acetylene wrench because the heads are too close to the frame of the front leveling jacks to slide all the way out. If the bolts were put in from the front, they would have room to come out(I think). Or does the leveling jack frame need to be removed?

Randy, what do you mean about the wrong bolts? Not long enough?

David Hollis 84FC35 Springfield,IL

David,

That was the same thing that Randy encountered and he had to use a sawsall to cut the bolt head off and then install the new bolts into the opposite end.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11