Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Well now we can watch the RVGeeks test the Xantrex e-GEN Lithium setup. Looks interesting as it is built for RVs and appears to be near plug and play. We'll see if that holds true.

Here is the introduction video >> RV Lithium/AGM Battery & Electrical System Upgrade - Part 1 - Project Intro

This is the Xantrex material on the system.
-- e-Gen Webpage
-- e-GEN User Guide
-- Market Guide
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

*Views expressed here are not supported, endorsed, or even “liked” by any agency or individual.
*Medicated for your comfort. Comfort not guaranteed. Experiences may vary.
Old 1 Week Ago

Brought to you by Fullriver, the only ones who make AGM batteries capable of starting their diesel engine.

I like the idea of the battery warmer in the Xantrex battery pack, but I get the feeling they are going to be charging cubic dollars for all of this. The 12v thing is a fail IMHO. I think they should build a 48 or 60 volt inverter and build an efficient dc/dc for running 12v loads right into the inverter. You also get a lot more solar output from your MPPT at the higher voltage. 2-4 times more. And the cabling is a manageable size, too.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
The 12v thing is a fail IMHO. I think they should build a 48 or 60 volt inverter and build an efficient dc/dc for running 12v loads right into the inverter.
Totally agree on the voltage. I think that they went that way to match the inverter instead of designing the inverter around the battery pack. I wonder just how long 600Ah will last?
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

*Views expressed here are not supported, endorsed, or even “liked” by any agency or individual.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Totally agree on the voltage. I think that they went that way to match the inverter instead of designing the inverter around the battery pack. I wonder just how long 600Ah will last?
Well you're looking at 5.7 kwh usable (at 80% DoD), which should run a good A/C unit for 4 hours if it's not cycling a lot. That 3000 watt 12v inverter might have a hard time starting it, so I would expect them to offer a soft-start or a new A/C unit or something like that.
Old 6 Days Ago

Just wanted to share another setup. I wouldn't use this config myself, but I'm sure it works. Of note is the soft-start to be able to start the AC on the 3000w inverter without killing the inverter. The KYD1 discount code is for $25 off each soft start if you ever wanted one.
https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/rv-solar/
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Old 6 Days Ago

If off grid and relying on a battery powered 3,000w inverter, a simple soft start kit may not be enough to operate an A/C without faulting the inverter - as described HERE, post #28. Although lithium banks may not need it, I can tell you the Micro-Aiir unit works as described with no inverter faults even when supplied by a ”baby” AGM batt pack . With full up solar, it works fine. However, I use it primarily when driving with both solar and engine alternator assist (no geny required mid-day).
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
If off grid and relying on a battery powered 3,000w inverter, a simple soft start kit may not be enough to operate an A/C without faulting the inverter - as described HERE, post #28. Although lithium banks may not need it, I can tell you the Micro-Aiir unit works as described with no inverter faults even when supplied by a ”baby” AGM batt pack . With full up solar, it works fine. However, I use it primarily when driving with both solar and engine alternator assist (no geny required mid-day).
Lithium banks can handle it, but you need a lot of inverter to do more than one at a time. I can start one A/C without any trouble with a 4400w inverter, and it will start another one after the 1st is already running (past starting), but if they both hit at the same time one of them wins and the other has to retry later. Three at a time is too much juggling, but if I can get them all started it powers them just fine. The microair starters work perfectly well, they are just way overpriced. There's not much voodoo going on in that box, but there are few nicely packaged and documented alternatives on the market.

A/C manufacturers (Dometic) should just start using inverter compressors. They are more efficient and startup is a non-issue. And they don't cost much more than the regular ones.
Old 2 Days Ago

I have a question...
I have been looking at how to compare LiFePo to Flooded Lead Acid batteries.

LiFePo batteries show a number of charge cycles, but I don't know how many charge cycles a flooded battery will survive before it dies.
I'm guessing 500-800 cycles, but not sure if that is really true.
What do you guys think?
1994 Wide Body #106048
"Going Galt"
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map

Old 2 Days Ago

I think this battery university site is quite well done and thorough.

I know cycles is dependent upon DOD for lead acids (well every battery, really). @ 30% DOD, 1000+ cycles. 50% 400 to 500.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

I don't have real world data to the contrary.
Old 2 Days Ago

You get more usable capacity with the lithiums - 80% DoD is normal on lithiums whereas 50% is normal for FLAs. You can safely discharge lower than 50% on the FLAs, but it really reduces the total cycles.

Crown GC2 205aH deep cycles, for example, have 1000 cycles at 50% DoD. 100% DoD results in 450 cycles. I wouldn't expect much variation for a deep cycle FLA between brands.