Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gardner

Since the brake switch is pressure operated, you need to build a little pressure to activate it which takes a half second or more. Then the throttle drops and you get an annoying jerky slowdown. Maybe some coaches are quicker than others to react, but it is an annoying procedure on mine.

I Like the button idea.

P.S.
Cars use an electric switch that is activated as soon as the pedal moves, it does not require activating the brakes so it is quicker and less noticeable.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:30 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alever View Post
Jim. I am looking to use it as a cancel to let the bus coast down to a slower speed when needed instead of tapping the brake all the time. When I tap the brake or apply light pressure to get the cruise to disengage the bus seems to jerk a little and it gets annoying. Stopping and slowing down is nice and smooth with no jerking or pulling. But just trying to get the cruise disabled with the brakes makes the bus jerk. I believe the cruise is trying to accelerate to keep speed up even though I am applying the brakes until the pressure switch tells it to turn off.
My thoughts was to put a momentary switch near the cruise control switches that is just a quick push to cancel the cruise and make it nice and smooth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Since the brake switch is pressure operated, you need to build a little pressure to activate it which takes a half second or more. Then the throttle drops and you get an annoying jerky slowdown. Maybe some coaches are quicker than others to react, but it is an annoying procedure on mine.

I Like the button idea.

P.S.
Cars use an electric switch that is activated as soon as the pedal moves, it does not require activating the brakes so it is quicker and less noticeable.
OK guys. I think I get it now. The jerking issue wasn't mentioned initially so I understand how that may be a PIA. I don't experience that at all on my bus. So, I'm wondering if you don't have another issue. Like Bill said, the cruise and retarders don't work well together, in that the retarder will cancel the cruise. If you have the retarder on with the cruise maybe that might be part of it. I never use both at the same time, but on a few occasions I have forgotten it was on and still never experienced what you describe. Sorry, I can't help you with this one.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 4 Weeks Ago
John Wyatt - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alever View Post
Jim. I am looking to use it as a cancel to let the bus coast down to a slower speed when needed instead of tapping the brake all the time. When I tap the brake or apply light pressure to get the cruise to disengage the bus seems to jerk a little and it gets annoying. Stopping and slowing down is nice and smooth with no jerking or pulling. But just trying to get the cruise disabled with the brakes makes the bus jerk. I believe the cruise is trying to accelerate to keep speed up even though I am applying the brakes until the pressure switch tells it to turn off.
My thoughts was to put a momentary switch near the cruise control switches that is just a quick push to cancel the cruise and make it nice and smooth.
I'm curious as to why you're not just using the set/coast rocker switch to coast down to a lower set speed instead of tapping the brakes?
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
I'm curious as to why you're not just using the set/coast rocker switch to coast down to a lower set speed instead of tapping the brakes?
That’s how I have been doing it since my first but in 88.
Nelson
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Gardner

Quote:
Sometimes I just want to disengage it without stepping on the brake, Why? A host of little reasons, but my fingers are tired from typing. As we used to say at IBM, "We don't answer why"' questions
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Cruise control disconnect

Gardner I agree. I added a switch on our FC and will be doing the same on the WB42. It is very handy to disconnect when the car/truck in front of you slows down for no reason.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
John Wyatt - Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Sometimes I just want to disengage it without stepping on the brake, Why? A host of little reasons, but my fingers are tired from typing. As we used to say at IBM, "We don't answer why"' questions
I just use the factory installed cruise control "on/off" switch for that.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001