Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 03-10-2011

Smile High fuel prices

Being in Canada we fill up in the US everytime we get a chance. At $4.72/ gallon when we convert it isn't cheap, but look at it this way. Last year we went on a 8000 mile trip for 3 weeks from Ontario Canada to Oregon, down to California, and back across through Arizona etc. It was a 3 week trip and we went through about 1000 US gallons of fuel, costing at that time about $3200.00. My family saw many natural wonders of the earth, spent time together camping and enjoying the drive as well. Many spend just as much for 2 people to fly somewhere for a week. Yes we had expenses for camping and food etc, but I would not trade that trip for anything. My kids would do it again in a heartbeat. I am floored by how many people have no idea of the beauty of this planet and the wonders that you can see driving somewhere. That is why these are called Wanderlodges. To me, that was a "relatively" inexpensive trip. Not that I am making light of anyones financial situation, but sometimes I think we fail to estimate the value of being together as a family enjoying things. Just MHO.
Rodney, Ontario
Old 03-11-2011

Mr Young,

That is the type of story the Bluebird is all about.
It isn't really about camping cheap or comfy but those things just add to the experience. The beauty of the Bird is what happens inside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung View Post
Being in Canada we fill up in the US everytime we get a chance. At $4.72/ gallon when we convert it isn't cheap, but look at it this way. Last year we went on a 8000 mile trip for 3 weeks from Ontario Canada to Oregon, down to California, and back across through Arizona etc. It was a 3 week trip and we went through about 1000 US gallons of fuel, costing at that time about $3200.00. My family saw many natural wonders of the earth, spent time together camping and enjoying the drive as well. Many spend just as much for 2 people to fly somewhere for a week. Yes we had expenses for camping and food etc, but I would not trade that trip for anything. My kids would do it again in a heartbeat. I am floored by how many people have no idea of the beauty of this planet and the wonders that you can see driving somewhere. That is why these are called Wanderlodges. To me, that was a "relatively" inexpensive trip. Not that I am making light of anyones financial situation, but sometimes I think we fail to estimate the value of being together as a family enjoying things. Just MHO.
Old 03-11-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung View Post
GREAT POST!!!!

I'm still planning on taking my planned 10,800 miles 4 month trip this summer and consider it inexpensive when I compare it to how much the same trip would cost me using other modes of transportation and lodging and the quality and convenience of that lodging that I will have with me in my 'Bird.

I use my DeLorme TOPO GPS software to plan my route, so that I have a good idea of how far the trip will be and that planning for me is part of the enjoyment of the trip.

I plan on using as many of the suggestions found in this thread as I can;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices > FUEL PRICES (Post the Location and Price)

I have used this website with very satisfactory results for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Now you can find a link to all of the major truck stops current fuel prices right here.

- Diesel fuel prices at the major truck stops

TODAY's Fuel prices by clicking the truck stop logos above.

I'm also a frequent user of the diesel pumps available at some of the Wal Marts around th country, that can be found in one of the links listed here;

In conjunction with the above link I use http://gasbuddy.com/ to get the most current prices in a specific city.

One of the most important things that I try to remember is if I get caught up complaining about the cost of travel including the cost of Fuel, that can sure put a damper on things, I'm not saying that it is not important after all I live on a fixed income, but I'm trying to enjoy my life as much as I can, but complaining about the cost of fuel...........................won't change a thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 ROUTE.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	9353  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-11-2011

John, When will you pass through Little Rock? Are you positive you want to get that close to Woody? You could run 44 to US 65 and stop off here for a few days. Roberta could fix Goop and we could watch Buddy think about chasing rabbits.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-11-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
John, When will you pass through Little Rock? Are you positive you want to get that close to Woody? You could run 44 to US 65 and stop off here for a few days. Roberta could fix Goop and we could watch Buddy think about chasing rabbits.

While the route can be altered at any given point, on that section I'm trying to use a fairly direct route between the 2011 WOG Great Lakes Rally in Michigan to my brothers place in Abilene, Texas.

I just hope that when I pass through Little Rock that I won't have any flat tires on the trailer like I did the last time I was there, as Woody does a real good job of supervising, but..............................

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-14-2011

Default diesel fuel

Drove by the ARCO station in Las Vegas where just a few days ago the diesel was 3.49 per gallon. Today it was 4 bucks! Good thing I topped off when I did.
Anyone else finding good deals on fuel?

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 03-14-2011

Default 3.49 diesel fuel = Travel Cost!!

Good deals on diesel

Approaching $3.80 here. I'm tempted but I won't do it - off road. Major penalties if you get caught, but I have some SOB friends that are topping off from their bulk (off road) tank at home......

Eveybody in the country would get away with it and I'd be the only one caught.
Old 03-14-2011
Administrator

The older I get, the less alarmed, I seem to be about the price per gallon.
On the long trips, we just travel slower and stay longer.
We will just continue until the $$ run out or we get a message that it is time to quit.
Old 03-14-2011

Bill, I agree with you. We will continue to travel until the money runs out or we get a sign to settle down. My wife and I are both still in our 50's, so hopefully we've got a few years to go. We're waiting for the 70 degree line to move north so we can start our Alaska trip. Even at 4 to 5 bucks per gallon for fuel, traveling this way is still cheaper than having to stay in hotels and eat in restaurants constantly. Plus we have our own bathroom, bedroom and kitchen. We do not have to make reservations and we stop and sleep whenever and wherever we want. All things considered, I think it's best to travel by Bird.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 03-14-2011
Geek

I was reading a New York Times article that quoted $2,771 to $8,722 for an 11-day Alaskan Cruise (including air fare from New York) and that is Per Person. We will be well within that range for our "cruise" and it will be 3 months!
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1