Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-06-2020

Default M380 Performance & BlueFire - YouTube Video

Just posted a YouTube video that demos a BlueFire iPad digital gauge arrangement . For those who are considering an M380, this video might give you an idea of what it’s like to drive this coach. Find the YT video here - https://youtu.be/8wFPzsq-iHg

Sorry about the dirty iPad screen! This was taken right after departing Quartzsite, and the coach was absolutely filthy from spending two weeks out in the desert. Even though the instantaneous mpg reading may not be totally accurate, it is very useful for trend information. I really use the Load output allot to monitor engine load. Lastly, the Bluetooth dongle provides the BF App any information that is available from your OBDE port via Bluetooth. This information can be displayed in any manner the user chooses. Unfortunately the M380 does not have a pyrometer sensor so EGT cannot be provided on the BF. If your coach has this sensor info available on its OBDE output stream then the BF can display it.

The BlueFire dongle can be purchased on the manufacture website as well as Amazon. Make sure that you get the correct dongle for your coach, if you buy one. The BF app is free from either the Android or Apple App Stores. It has a demo mode that you can play with to decide whether or not you like the BF capabilities.

(Video also posted in WOG BlueFire thread)
Old 02-06-2020

Thank you Van!! I have VMSpc but will check out the BlueFire. after all it goes better with Blue Bird!!
2005 M450 LXI
Alpine 2000 36 FDS
Old 02-06-2020

I like the BlueFire system. I have it on my Lx. I use a mini Ipad on a mount and its to my left as I drive.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 02-07-2020
Geek

Van, one of the things I found most useful with VMSpc is the tank minder, which shows current fuel level (which you manually reset after each fill) and miles remaining. Anything similar with this app?

Looks like you could really stand to have your alternator voltage turned up!
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 02-07-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Van, one of the things I found most useful with VMSpc is the tank minder, which shows current fuel level (which you manually reset after each fill) and miles remaining. Anything similar with this app?

Looks like you could really stand to have your alternator voltage turned up!
I agree on the alternator voltage
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Austintown,Ohio
Old 02-07-2020

Should it be 14.3-14.5?
2005 M450 LXI
Alpine 2000 36 FDS
Old 02-07-2020

Hey Don -

BF can use fuel related data if it’s provided over the data port. The BF logging page shows which fuel related # it can monitor & send (below). Not near the coach right now so cannot verify which of those data streams are actually available to the display. You had a list of all of those as I recall?

Yes, I left the engine alt at a low charge voltage setting on purpose. Several years ago I watched Doc & Dan bump up his M380 alt output voltage (it’s an easy procedure). In most cases, raising the alt voltage to charge one’s chassis and coach batteries while underway is a good idea. However, with the extensive electrical upgrades on my coach, letting the Magnum MS2812/PT100 and my 1,425 watts of solar panels on the roof handle all charging duties (during daylight hours) is a better idea. As part of that electric upgrade, my old chassis -31’s were replaced along with the new coach L16’s. So all are AGM’s with the exact same charging profiles. I typically run with the Aux Batt Switch ON whether on solar, shore power or the engine is running. Leaving the Alt voltage output at 13.1V means it’s not “fighting” with the Magnum system’s sophisticated charging profiles when the engine is running, yet it’s still available should I choose to drive at night. BTW - at Q my batts reached 100% SOC on all but the two days which were completely cloudy (with light rain). And on those two days SOC reached the high 90’s

This setup has performed flawlessly with way more amps than needed and the engine has always started “with authority”, since that project was finished 3 years ago. No user input or “tweaks” have been needed and it all just works .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9ECF5EBC-B2D4-451B-838A-F9842B718075.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	66199  
Old 02-07-2020
Geek

13.1 wouldn't be too bad, but the only time I saw you pull that in your video was at 2000 rpm. A lot of the time you were in the 12.5-12.6 range, and usually 12.9 or lower. I would think that the engine and tranny, as well as possibly some other things, expect at least 13.6 even if they will function at lower voltages.

The tank minder in VMSpc is a software function that uses fuel flow. You provide it with your tank size, and double-click to reset it to full. It calculates fuel left, and uses the odometer to figure MPG and miles left. It can either show MPG/Miles left based on total fuel consumed since reset, or it can use fuel used for the last 20 minutes. You can see it in the image below from many years ago. Since this was an 8V92, the rolling mileage, acclerator 0, and recent mileage should tell you I was coasting down a *long* hill!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vmspcscreen.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	66202  
Old 02-09-2020

Default BlueFire Fuel Displays & Best Alternator-Batt Charge Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
... A lot of the time you were in the 12.5-12.6 range, and usually 12.9 or lower. I would think that the engine and tranny, as well as possibly some other things, expect at least 13.6 even if they will function at lower voltages.

The tank minder in VMSpc is a software function that uses fuel flow. You provide it with your tank size, and double-click to reset it to full. It calculates fuel left, and uses the odometer to figure MPG and miles left...
I have not changed the alt voltage output, so that setting is what BB/Cummins set when the coach rolled off the line. Since resting 100% SOC is 12.65v, I wouldn’t expect much higher even with the alt set at 13.1v. The two -31 AGM chassis batts were fully charged and topped off every day at Q thanks to the solar system, so they were ready. As to functioning, the engine hasn’t even burped since I’ve owned it so no worries on that count.

With regards to fuel monitoring and reporting, BlueFire has the same (or better) capabilities. The BF Dash Gauge set shown in the video was one of the first I set up. The App makes it easy to set your gauges up the way you want them and that’s very . My first attempt had no fuel information because I didn’t add those gauges. After reading your post, I took the time today to update the gauge set you saw in the video (pic below). Not near the coach right now, so can only show it with BF Default Data. However, I’m confident it will function correctly once connected to the BF Dongle. BF also has both GPS flow through capabilities and extensive trip reporting options, including emailing a trip summary once completed. Will I use those? Not sure, but it’s nice to have options .

Setting Alt output voltage to 14.3 - 14.6 could have a downside. Depending on how long you drive the coach you are basically running an extended Bulk/Absorbtion stage, and without a device to limit the amps flowing into the batteries you risk overcharging them. The manufacturer of my batteries recommends that charging voltage drop to 13.6v Float once the 14.6v Absorption phase draw drops to a certain level. That optimum profile is set into my Magnum inverter. Alt charging is not nearly as well regulated or controlled.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0A8875D3-E24E-4A18-AB4A-9AA4166D46DE.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	66216  
Old 02-09-2020
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
that setting is what BB/Cummins set when the coach rolled off the line.
No way to prove it, but I highly doubt it. Like so many things, alternator performance will typically decline with age. That is one of the reasons it is adjustable.

Until you got your Bluefire you really had no accurate way to tell what the ECM was seeing for voltage.