Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 07-02-2013

Default Need a Hydraulic Pump for a M380

The sump line from the hydraulic pump was leaking and it was found that the sump line was cross threaded and also ruined the threads inside the pump. This was obviously done at Ft. Valley when new because the pump has never been off. I NEED A HYDRAULIC PUMP and can't find one. Any Help? I have tried Blue Bird, Coach Craft and Parliament.

Thanks.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 07-02-2013
cmillsap

Marv,

Quality Control Corp should have a replacement for your pump. Here's their website. They just built a pump for my LXi.

http://www.qccorp.com/pumps-motors-v...mp-information

Chuck
Old 07-02-2013

if you will send me the numbers off the pump I will endeavor to obtain a price
QCC charges full list I am a dealer I dont charge full list

for example a lxi hydraulic pump for the cooliing fan Qcc More than 1200.00
Dupree Products 850.00 plus shipping

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 10-01-2017
Geek

I just went through this, so I'm tagging onto Marv's original post to answer questions for M380 owners in the future with hydraulic leaks and pump needs.

First the problem: back in 2012 the prior owner of my coach, Chuck Millsap, posted about a hydraulic leak that was eventually fixed by tightening the jam nut on the bottom of the pump. See his post(s) here: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=14024

I first experienced a leak at the same point in 2015 just prior to being towed into Cummins in North Carolina for major work replacing the fuel pump and ECM. The paperwork shows the problem, but not the solution; I assume they just tightened it up again.

I had another leak at the same point in 2016 when I was due for service, and had it looked at then (Cummins, in Arcata, CA). The invoice reads: "The supply hose fitting is leaking where it screws into the pump due to a loose jam nut. Tightened the jam nut. Will check after it sits overnight." He noted later that there was no sign of leak the next day.

The latest leak began just as we started out on our recent trip to Casper, Yellowstone and Glacier. The only attempt to fix it during the trip was when I happened to park next to a mobile RV repair guy, and he wasn't able to get it to tighten. Over the course of the trip I ended up using about 3/4 gallon of hydraulic fluid. It appears that there was no measurable leak while the engine was running presumably because the leak was on the low-pressure side. The leakage when parked would be high initially, then drop off to very little. I ended up getting a large cat pan and putting it under the leak at each overnight, and leaving the engine running at short stops for lunch and such.

When I returned home I was due for service, so took it in to Cummins in Arcata again. I figured it would be good for them to know that just tightening was not going to do it. I suggested they remove the nut and replace the o-ring, and since I had never changed the fluid and filter it would be a good time to do that.

I got a call from the mechanic informing me that the threads in the pump were about gone, and the only thing he could suggest was to replace the pump. He felt that the fitting was badly installed originally, and that repeated tightening had further damaged it. The fitting is steel, the pump is aluminum.

So, a warning to other M380 owners: If you develop a leak at the fitting, do not have it tightened as that can likely lead to more problems down the road. Have it removed and if everything is fine put a new o-ring on and put it back together.

I expect a positive conclusion to this story in the next couple of days, and I will post the info that time.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 10-02-2017
Geek

Default M380 hydraulic pump

Now the effort turned to finding a pump. The Cummins parts guy was going to see what he could find, but I wasn't going to leave it at that. The first thing I found was this post by Marv, with the same problem but no solution listed. I PM'd Marv that night, and got an answer in the morning: "I had the pump replaced by Cummins Northwest, that was the easy part. I finally found a pump in England and had it shipped to the U.S." He went on to tell me that he no longer had the info, but it might be in the paperwork provided to Bob Griesel when he got the coach from Marv. I PM'd Bob to see what he might have.

I had done a lot of searching, and it appeared likely that the pump was made by Dynamatic in England (that turned out to be "sort of" true). I called Randy to get his thoughts, and he said that finding odd hydraulic pumps can be tricky, but if I could get him a part number he would check with a guy he knows that can come up with about anything hydraulic. I called the Cummins shop to ask about the part number, and they told me it was not readable on the pump, and that they had a call in to Blue Bird to see if they could supply a number. They were able to tell me the pump was made by Sauer Danfoss (that company was bought by Dynamatic a few years ago, hence my "sort of," above).

My next call was to my go-to guy when I want to discuss an M380 problem, Gary "Doc" Williams. Over the course of a few calls he was able to get me a part number, using a mirror since the plate was between the pump and the engine. He did a great job of reading the backwards numbers, and was able to tell me it was a Sauer-Danfoss C31.5/25.7L 38538160150.

I had found that the primary distributor for Dynamatic is White House Products Ltd in Scotland, who advertise "We have the largest inventory of hydraulic parts in the world." It is necessary to register in order to see prices or order, but I got an immediate response to my registration, giving me a login/password. I put n/a for company, and "own a motor coach that needs a hydraulic pump" for business type.

I had a bit of trouble looking up the pump using Doc's numbers, but it was because they have it listed as C31.5/25.7L 38538/160/150. The White House catalog number is 5S2/45582DYN. I called Cummins to check that they were still without success on finding a pump, and when that was the case I told them to stop looking as I was ordering. White House had 15 on hand, which did change to 14 after my order.

I placed the order Wednesday night, and it shipped Thursday morning. Received this morning (Monday), and it is now in Cummins' hands. The mother of the mechanic working on my coach died over the weekend, so it will be a few more days before I get it back.

Bob Griesel got back to me Thursday morning with the information from Marv's paperwork. It showed that he ordered from Hy-Power products in Scotland, but that it was shipped from White House Products with the same catalog and part numbers that I had, which I was happy to see as confirmation since I had already ordered! Hy-Power does not have a street address, but their address of "Finlaystone Langbank Renfrewshire" would put them somewhere within a mile of White House. I'm guessing that Hy-Power may be the same company, just their retail arm. At this time, Hy-Power lists the pump at 265 GBP, and White House sold directly to me at 210 GBP.

Actual cost in dollars will depend on exchange rate. For me, including FedEx International Priority, my VISA card was charged $351.05 and I expect to see a statement fee of 2% ($7) for the foreign transaction. One oddity was that FedEx Priority was cheaper than FedEx Economy!

Supplier links:
http://www.whitehouseproductsltd.com/
http://www.hy-power.com/products.asp

Incidentally, Randy's guy did say he could get it, for $1395.31 with a lead time of 10-12 weeks. Also, Visone RV, the surplus place in Tennessee, has a used one for $1100.00

Pictures of the new one (note the date - this was made back when the M380 was built!):

Old 10-02-2017
Forum owner

my guy had this number,it may be the same as Dons number.
Number should be 550138538160150

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-02-2017
Geek

Randy, I'm thinking that your guy may have access to somebody making a replacement, and the relatively cheap price I got may reflect that they are happy to get rid of 14-year-old inventory! Wonder if this was made for the M380 and nobody else?
Old 10-04-2017

Hmm, I’m tempted to buy a spare.
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 10-04-2017
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
Hmm, I’m tempted to buy a spare.
Hard to advise you on that. I'm not aware of any actual pump failures or gear issues with these, and odds are if the fitting has never leaked it probably won't, but I wouldn't disagree that at some point these may become near impossible to find.

Had a call from the mechanic working on it, and it is done other than some steam cleaning, so I should get it back this afternoon. He wanted to ask about the ABS light being on, and I told him that if he looked at the code he would see it is for the "third axle." He said "Oh yeah, I didn't notice that!" I told him that there was a relay that supposedly could be pulled to stop the problem, but nobody seems to have exact info on what relay it is, so I told him not to worry about it.
Old 10-04-2017

Me too. May have John at Coachcraft look at mine while its there.
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder