Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-01-2018
AKA Tent Boy

Shane as the electricity regs in NYC, as per our electricians, I got for my house for a connection in my garage for the bus, they gave me a reel of 6AWG, for less than fifty feet of travel!!!
So I would think that is too light of wire!!!
HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Doug... that setup will not work long-term. You eventually will (or probably already have) melted off a wire somewhere. At a minimum, you need 10 ga wire from the main electrical panel in your house (or garage) to the 30a/50a adapter plug. (Preferably 8 ga if less than 100')

You can plug the battery charger in by itself (not running through the coach wiring) using an extension cord, but you should probably use at least a 12ga extension cord that is less than 50' long. Those are not rated for 30amps, so if possible, de-rate the charger down to a maximum 15-a draw. Most good chargers can be programmed to run on a reduced supply to avoid tripping breakers.

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
busbum@icloud.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 09-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor7cs View Post
Shane as the electricity regs in NYC, as per our electricians, I got for my house for a connection in my garage for the bus, they gave me a reel of 6AWG, for less than fifty feet of travel!
Yes, you are correct. I ran 6ga wire for the 50A connections in my barn. This would only be for powering his battery charger/inverter- not the whole coach.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...0002/202316279

"That which you most need to find will be found where you least want to look"
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 09-01-2018

Wait a minute. Are you saying I can’t use a standard 115 house plug to keep the batteries topped off? That is not what I’m doing (I have a 50a plug in my garage direct to the bus) but certainly have done 115 to 30 to 50 in the past with no issues. I would never try to power anything other than maybe a light with this configuration, but ‘splain to me how the other way is bad.
Old 09-01-2018

With my coach, I was able to use 20A to 30A adapter and then a 30/50 adapter to power the battery chargers, refrigerator, and some lights for storage. The two inverter/chargers can be set down as far as 5 amp draw from the control panel over the driver's seat.
When doing this I recommend switching off the heating element in the Aqua-Hot to eliminate that 10 amp draw.

Code requirement for a 50 amp circuit is #6 AWG copper conductors for any distance.
6-3 UF-B will handle 55 amps when direct buried but must be derated if it's in conduit.
I put a 50 amp receptacle on the side of my house right beside my main breaker panel and it's wired with 3x #6 (2 hot and neutral) and a #8 ground conductor. National electrical code only requires a #12 for the grounding conductor for this size circuit.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 09-01-2018

I don't know why you can't run a charger and the small stuff on a 15a circuit. I do it all the time.
Old 09-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I don't know why you can't run a charger and the small stuff on a 15a circuit. I do it all the time.
Yes, you can do that.. .but it is not recommended to "daisy-chain" adapters in an effort to plug in the 50-A cord on the bus. Many of us (myself included) get along fine by powering the battery charger-inverter with a heavy (not the orange kind) extension cord directly powering the charger. It is best done with a programmable charger where you can tap down the max. draw to 15 amps so that the breaker does not trip and the cord does not become overloaded.

"That which you most need to find will be found where you least want to look"
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 09-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Yes, you can do that.. .but it is not recommended to "daisy-chain" adapters in an effort to plug in the 50-A cord on the bus. Many of us (myself included) get along fine by powering the battery charger-inverter with a heavy (not the orange kind) extension cord directly powering the charger. It is best done with a programmable charger where you can tap down the max. draw to 15 amps so that the breaker does not trip and the cord does not become overloaded.
I use the 50a cord and a dogbone and a good extension cord. A 100 amp charger can't max out a 15a/120vac circuit unless it's a mile long with a lot of dogbones. I run one A/C and the charger all the time on a 20a circuit, but my A/C's are pretty low draw.