Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-11-2012
Goat rails in the sunset

Question Recommend a replacement ATS model?

I'm shopping for a replacement transfer switch. I'm thinking automatic (ATS) simply because that is what my SP came with from the factory, but comments about virtues/shortcomings of manual versus automatic are welcome. Noise, failure rates, any/every consideration in choosing manual v. automatic.

Space is a consideration--the ATS is in a cabinet under a knee-high end-table, and not a lot of room for access without dismantling the fine integrated cabinet,tabletop, wall mirror structure, and overhead compartment. I'll avoid doing that if I can by installing something similar to the original in size/input/output configuration.

I don't think I want a combined surge protector/ATS--I'm going to take the plunge and hardwire a dedicated Progressive EMS-HW50C 3500 joule EMS on shorepower.

I've been looking around the web at units by TRC, Powermax, and Progressive Dynamics. They all claim features like 'heavy duty contactors for long life'. What features truly make for a great long-lived bulletproof ATS or TS?

Do we have a preferred brand or model to use in 50-amp Wanderlodges?

Thank you!

--Ned
Full-time in 2019
Old 09-11-2012

Ned, The relays in your transfer can be replaced if you wish.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post

I don't think I want a combined surge protector/ATS--I'm going to take the plunge and hardwire a dedicated Progressive EMS-HW50C 3500 joule EMS on shorepower.

Thank you!

--Ned
Not sure about how your bus is wired, but after reading the pros and cons on including the generator in the surge protection, I went against the majority and wired my surge protector to include the generator along with shore power.

Thank goodness I did because on a recent trip, my generator surged when the governor linkage came loose due to excessive wear. The HW50C suffered some damage but I was protected. Progressive sent me a new control board, and all is well again.

I'm just sayin'
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 09-11-2012
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Ned, The relays in your transfer can be replaced if you wish.
Repair is an interesting option. After some jostling, the switch is working normally now, but I may as well pull it and clean/inspect/get relay part numbers.
Full-time in 2019
Old 09-11-2012
Goat rails in the sunset

David--

I think Progressive was asked specifically about Powertech generators with the EMS hooked in after the switch, and they identified a problem.

Likewise, problems with some automatic transfer switches, if I remember what I read about that.

I'm looking around for a report from someone with my setup who has tried it--that's the Todd automatic switch and DKD 8Kw Onan.
Full-time in 2019
Old 09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post
David--

I think Progressive was asked specifically about Powertech generators with the EMS hooked in after the switch, and they identified a problem.
My Progressive EMS-50C did not play well with my power tech generator. A call to Progressive confirmed the problem. Therefore my EMS is only on the shore power side of the ATS.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad