Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-03-2021

Default Ignition controlled relays

2 questions that I should know the answers to, but don’t!

1. Ignition controlled relays

In the forum it is repeatedly said to get the lights, transmission, cruise control etc. “out of the ignition”.
“The wires going to the ignition switch are too thin to carry the current”.
This confuses me. I understand the concept of creating a separate circuit through a relay, but by out of ignition does it mean to use the wires from the lower load center for each of these (lights, transmission & cruise control) as the trigger for new relays and then send power through the relays with a constant direct 12volt source? i.e. key is turned , ignition relay closes sends power to load center, new wire from load center triggers new relay, old wire from load center is fed 12 volts from battery or other 12 volt source.
If yes…what is the best source for the 12 volt power? If no please help me to understand this. It seems so simple but my brain is missing something!
Also what size fuses should be used for new lights and transmission 12 volt wires?

2. Relays above pmmi boxes

I moved, about 20 years ago, the relays from above the 2 PMMI boxes, accessed from the outside, to the inside. Yes I drew a diagram with notes, NO I can’t find them! Think there are four or five of them.
Can anyone tell me what these relays go to.

Thank you

Robert
Old 05-03-2021

There is an orange 14ish gauge wire from the key to the front bus bar. Move that to a relay and most problems disappear.
Side Bath
Cummins ISM and RTO16913
Old 05-03-2021

Hello Martin
Thank you for reply.
I no longer have the original colored wires. Replaced them some 15 years ago but if I understand you correctly you are saying that the orange wire was carrying the 12 volts to the ignition relay then onto the load center. Thus "going through the ignition" You are saying let the orange wire trip a new relay that then will carry 12volts to the ignition relay. Or...do I have this backwards? Also where would you suggest I tap into to get the 12 volts for new relay.

Thank you
Old 05-04-2021

Never mind Martin, please disregard last question. I just found a diagram that John Wyatt had sent me of ignition circuit back in 2017. I see the orange wire (orange/brown). Will run a new wire from body hot to new circuit breaker and use the orange wire as a trigger.
Thank you
Old 05-04-2021
RV Appraiser

There was a mini in the driver's side aluminum box (PMMI) that supplied the required voltage for the ZF to shift. Could one of these be a substitute for that relay?
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 05-04-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert & Dianne View Post
Never mind Martin, please disregard last question. I just found a diagram that John Wyatt had sent me of ignition circuit back in 2017. I see the orange wire (orange/brown). Will run a new wire from body hot to new circuit breaker and use the orange wire as a trigger.
Thank you
That is the one I expect. It gets very warm and is pretty clearly undersized if you look at all the work it is doing.
Side Bath
Cummins ISM and RTO16913
Old 05-05-2021

Are you referring to the D5 mini relay in PMMI which controls the neutral start? And do you think one of the relays that I moved inside could be passing the 12volt power to the ZF and using the current passing through the D5 as a trigger? (My PMMI box only has 7 relays not the later revised 8. (The 8th one was used to move 12 volt out of ignition-I believe).