Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-23-2018

Default Radiator & Charge Air Cooler Replacement

So I took the LXI in to have a leak fixed from the radiator fill tank to the engine about three months ago, and the mechanic replaced the silicon hoses dealing with that area but I asked him if he would check out the rest of the coach and the only problem he could see coming was when he looked at the main radiator for the Detroit, he noticed some color issues with the radiator fins in the lower part of the radiator. He is a heavy truck person, so he knows how to spot this. He indicated at the time, that he didn't know exactly how long it would be until a leak occurred, but that it would eventually happen, so I set up an appointment to have the radiator replaced, which was for this month, being September. The new radiator had to be built, so he removed the radiator, which was a total *****, and he sent it in to the radiator shop in Grand Junction Colorado to be used as a pattern for the new radiator. At the time of the removal one of the mechanic's helpers was supposed to check the Turbo Charger Air Cooler for leaks, but the individual got sick, so he forgot. When the radiator got back, the mechanic went to check the Turbo Charger Air Cooler for leaks and sure enough it had a big one. He felt bad, as it meant that the coach is still in the shop waiting on a new cooler to be built, about 10 days.

The point of this post is after 20 years, most of the radiators in the LXI's are probably reaching their life span. If you decide to have the radiator replaced, have the Charge Air Cooler checked for leaks, as they could both be built at the same time, avoiding the huge delay. The cost for just the manufacture of the radiator is about $3200 and the cost for the charge air cooler is about $2100, not counting removal and installation. At this point in time, a bunch of the hydraulic hoses are also being replaced, as they are hard.

Last edited by alustiza; 09-23-2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-23-2018
Forum owner

This job is in my plan for this winter,my fan motor is weeping,so out comes the rad and the cac,all new hoses and a new fan motor while i'm in there.

Last year we did this job on a 97wb,and we forgot to check the CAC,and it also had a huge leak,so we waiting another week to finish that job.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Week Ago

Dan,
I aplogize for being really busy with life. Haven't kept up with all the WOG posts.

I also discovered leaks in both the main raidator and CAC radiators a little over a year ago, and had to have them removed and repaired. Fortunately, the shop manager concurred with the radiator shop I found here in the LA area. They are masters at their trade. They had to send away ( somewhere in the south ) for the CAC aluminum core, then welded the caps to it in-house. They also rebuilt the radiator completely in-house. Luckily, all this remove and replace effort was perfomed in an MCI bus shop close to me. They simply raised the coach off the floor using 6 mobile electric lifts under each tire set. These lifts work in unison and raised the coach allowing easy radiator pack extraction and replacement.

The issue I wish to share is.... the original radiator shop that manufactured our radiators is somehwere in the northwest ( I found and did talk to the owner ), but their radiators have to be manufactured from scratch. That process was long and their cost was about $5000 each. The radiator shop here in Santa Fe Springs ( a neighboring city in the LA Valley ) told me they could make any truck and bus radiator, with all flanges, within a couple weeks time at about 3/4 the cost. I imagine there should be similar experienced radiator shops elsewhere in in the country where there is a lot of truck and bus repair business.

Old 1 Week Ago

I talked Diana at Dura-lite into selling me a CAC direct. It was a hair over 3 grand delivered to my house. It's a piece of art. The silicone grommet system they use is very cool. It has a 7 yr - 1,000,000 warranty also. Can't beat that.
Dan
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net
Old 1 Week Ago

Clem,

That’s a great price. I’m so glad this has worked out for you.