Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Electrical-Auto Transfer Switch smoked

Not sure this the correct area to post this issue
Fairly new to the RV world, (1-yr+) and have gained so much knowledge through this forum, but I had an incident yesterday that made me pucker. Had the couch ready and loaded for a 2-week get-a-way. Parked the rig in the barn for the night as I always have with it pluged into 50amp outlet. Next day the main barn breaker was triped. I tried to flip on and it would trip again. By this time i was smelling electrical smoke . Panic as heck tring to find the source and notice some smoke coming from under the bus in front of the tandums. I shut all the AC breakers and inverter off. I managed to get the bus outside thinking if its going to burn at least it would burn down my new barn.
I couldn't get my head around what was going on. I have had couch plugged in my barn for over a year with no issues.
I removed the cover panel for the water tanks (rear compartment passenger side) and found the electrical smell coming from the ATS, modelPS250 (ATS located in front of the duals, bad location imo). Took ATS cove off and started the generator and big arc spark and smoke when the gen tried kicking on. All coach AC breakers were off and invertor off.
I tried to search the forum for a similar issue and did not see anyone else with this type of issue. Any assistance is very much appreciated. Needles to say, the whole trip is cancelled, but very glad it happened at home and not on the road!
98-40' LX
FMCA 07585
Lebanon, IN
765-479-1092

fred@cfjones.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hey Fred,
Need to take a close look at the transfer switch. There are a handful of things that could have happened to cause it to let the smoke out. The contacts can weld themselves shut, the electromagnet coils that pull the contact in can burn up and not allow the contacts to close. There are also electronic sensing boards in them, those can burn up electronic components on them. So you need to start looking closely for what is burned up. Most likely the easiest and most cost effective (if your paying someone else to fix it) would be to just replace the transfer switch. Others have done this, I think they are replacing them with the progressive dynamics auto transfer switch.

Does your coach have a twist lock plug on it, or is the cable on a reel? Sometimes it can be possible to get the twist lock in but not fully connected and this will cause some issues. The other thing is some of the plugs often loose their ground connection and that can cause all kinds of issues, dangerous issues. So double check your supply cord, and make sure everything is making good connections.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Fred, I would check the wiring and connections going from the Transfer switch to the Breaker Load Center in the coach. It sounds like you have a direct short in the wiring going to your breaker panel. The shore power breaker tripped and the panel arched when you applied generator voltage. Flip all the breakers in your breaker panel and inverter breakers to off before you begin your test.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks for the input. I do have a twist lock cable, no reel. I will check all the wiring again to coach breaker panel and all cabel connection. I am suspecting it is the Transfer switch. I see a lot of BB owners use the Progressive PD52DCSV with surge protector as a good Transfer switch. If I need to replace my old one, does any one have concerns with this model? The worst part is getting good access to work on it.
I have learned an incredible amount how to work on these BB through this forum, hopefully I can graduate from BB college some day .
FMCA 07585
Lebanon, IN
765-479-1092

fred@cfjones.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFJones View Post
Thanks for the input. I do have a twist lock cable, no reel. I will check all the wiring again to coach breaker panel and all cabel connection. I am suspecting it is the Transfer switch. I see a lot of BB owners use the Progressive PD52DCSV with surge protector as a good Transfer switch. If I need to replace my old one, does any one have concerns with this model? The worst part is getting good access to work on it.
I have learned an incredible amount how to work on these BB through this forum, hopefully I can graduate from BB college some day .
That's not going to happen, we all learns something new every day. Sharing is the best part.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

So true, but a fun process!!
FMCA 07585
Lebanon, IN
765-479-1092

fred@cfjones.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

50 amp service proves 100 amps of available power. 50 amps on the red and 50 amps on the black.

lets say 50 amps of 120v come in the red, it will all alternate to the common-white if nothing is going through the black. But if there is 30 amps of consumption in the black, the red and black pingpong 30 amps of alternating current and the white passes only the in balance of the red which is 50-30 or 20amps.
if that white has a weak connection someplace in the mix, the in balance of 30 amps passes the appliances in the black and pump 240 volts. this 240 cooks the electromegnetic switches.

here is a good video. entertaining as you wait for the shock but this guy explaines it great https://youtu.be/v9q3EnrHngo

here is another video that is hard to follow but one that explains why prior owner hacks need to follow the rules. cant just splice into wires to add ****. hence look for prior owner bowtie typ mods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXNY0JgoMaA

Last edited by GregOC; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:45 PM. Reason: math,
Old 4 Weeks Ago

and another assumption of my thinking

when a electrical wire gets muffed and there is a use-work-demand like water heater element or electric tank heaters, but a voltage drop of 50% due to a muffed wire or connection. that wattage requires 200% the amps. 3,000 watts at 120 volts pulls 25 amps. 25a x 120v = 3000w if while running on a muffed up wire/connection path voltage drops to 60, the math is 3000w/60v = 50 amps Bam pop goes the breaker
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Seems lately that folks have been having issues with losing connections.. so that is where I would begin. As Greg said, if you lose the neutral you are definitely going to have issues. That is a good suspect. Double check the outlet with your meter and make sure that the outlet in your barn is getting good readings. Just because the issue happened in the coach does not mean that is the problem.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I remember (very little at times) I replaced my transfer switch a few years ago. The brand/model that was in there at the time had a bad reputation for causing fires. IOTA I think.
turnkey1949@gmail.com