Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-12-2012

Default Hydraulic pump cooling fan

8v92 has this BIG hydraulic pump to drive the radiator fan. Mine has a slow seep that appears to be a crack in the casting. It's small but I have to add oil to the reservoir occasionally. Three questions.
1. The book says to clean the oil through a 10 micron filter before adding. Where do you get such a filter? I've been to multiple parts houses, and to 2 Cummins service shops. Noone seems to know anything.
2. Can the casting be repaired?
3. Are replacement pumps available? And how many banks would I have to rob to buy one?
Thanks. joe
Old 02-12-2012

Too much bourbon! Not sure where cummins came from, other than a conversation earlier with a brand X owner who had a cummins.

Been to 2 Detroit authorized shops! Neither knew anything about a 10 micron filter.
Old 02-12-2012
prone to wandering

If it's a small leak, clean the casting with ether then fix with a 2 part liquid aluminum like JB Weld, that should stop the leak. Someone else may have a filter suggestion for you. If it was me I would fix the leak, add some clean proper fluid and that's that.
We like ether (starting fluid) as it cleans and removes any oil residue. Besides we always have some handy around this part of the world in the winter, just don't breathe any in
jimdoel@me.com
Old 02-13-2012

Thumbs down

Have you cleaned the casting and shaft area to be sure it is the casting that is leaking? My experience, and guess, it's a pump shaft seal that is leaking. Check it out. If seal info. is needed may of us have the seal number(s). We have pump info. as well. Looking for your report back.

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 02-13-2012
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schipperkejoe View Post
8v92 has this BIG hydraulic pump to drive the radiator fan. Mine has a slow seep that appears to be a crack in the casting. It's small but I have to add oil to the reservoir occasionally. Three questions.
1. The book says to clean the oil through a 10 micron filter before adding. Where do you get such a filter? I've been to multiple parts houses, and to 2 Cummins service shops. Noone seems to know anything.
2. Can the casting be repaired?
3. Are replacement pumps available? And how many banks would I have to rob to buy one?
Thanks. joe
Hi Joe,

Just to be clear are you really talking about the Hydraulic Pump on the engine or are you talking about the Hydraulic Motor that spins the radiator fan?

If you’re talking about the Hydraulic fan motor you may be able to get them from Hydraulic.net.

The replacement Hydraulic Motor is model WHI 44970-33 and the cost was about $400.00 a year ago.

www.hydraulic.net
56 Mays Boulevard
Folkston, Georgia 31537
sales@hydraulic.net
Phone: (912) 496-2382
Fax: (912) 496-3208

Your coach should already have a high pressure filter with a 10 micron filter element in it. The filter is located under the bus between the radiator and the tag axle – look way up in the frame – it’s a long metal cylinder with a couple of wires at the top (see attached picture).

The replacement filter element is a Parker #925835 and you need to replace the O-ring when you change the filter. The Parker O-Ring number is V92151.

There is also a stack of (3) 22 micron filters inside the Hydraulic Reservoir; I use Donaldson # P550698 filters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	14892  
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001

Old 02-13-2012

Joe,
Sounds like you mean the hydraulic motor that runs the fan. The actual pump is attached to the back of the 8V92. (towards the front of the coach) Just had my pump rebuilt-not installed yet by http://tthyd.com/. They had the rebuild parts in stock, pressure tested, and can repair the shaft if it has a groove worn into it-see web site. ($275) Fan motor on my 86 PT40was made by Webster-not sure on your 93. Read on forum that fan motor can be taken off with the radiator still in place-very difficult. Suggested by others and self to pull the rad. Good luck
Kansas, Il
Old 02-18-2012

Default How clean is new hydraulic oil?

Not as clean as you want it to be. New hydraulic fluids should be prefiltered to 10 microns before adding to the system reservoir. Most hydraulic systems that use cartridge style filters catch the debris from the fluid on the low pressure return side of the circuit after it has passed through the valves and motor.

Prefiltering new hydraulic oil when adding it to a system is industrial SOP. Most frequently done by pumping oil from bulk drums using a transfer pump with one or more filters. These transfer carts can be purchased from Grainger and others but they sell for $1500 or more which is pretty hard to justify if you are only adding a few quarts a year. If you have a small electrically driven pump, you can make your own transfer/filter system for $50 using filter base and cartridge from Bailey's Hydraulics: http://baileynet.com/index.php?page=...leynum=filters.

Change the filter cartridge for one designed for water removal and your homemade filter system can also polish your diesel when you are not filtering your hydraulic fluids.
Old 02-18-2012

at shop where my son works(does diesel fuel sys. and hydraulic sys. testing for cat) they run every thing through 1 micron absolute filter before using it for testing .. they do this so they know any large particulate was not from oil/fuel....most filters that i used through out my life..including hvac industry(and these were expensive) were not absolute filters..even if they were labeled as 5-10 micron(this is the smallest size caught)- filter pasted 20-30 percent of larger particulate through...its hard to get true specs. on filters as most don't post whats by-passed yes some percentage of particulate passes through...i have had refrigerant oil tested as it left 10 micron filter and it was reported to have 25-50 micron size particulate...i think you are smart to filter hydraulic oil to be used in hydro fan...while we did not add oil separator/filter to all cooling systems we installed we did in a research lab, that i serviced and we did add them to all critical systems in sever rooms etc. with good resolts...just use best filters you can get... if its called for in specs. and you have the means ...i say go for it
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 02-18-2012
davidmbrady

The good folks at Fleetguard told me the same thing. I questioned them about a fuel filter for my DD S60. For their use they consider absolute to be 98.67%. For instance, their FF5206 diesel fuel filter has the following specs:

20 micron @ 99%
10 micron @ 98%

So it will capture 99% of the 20 micron particles, but when the particles are as small as 10 micron the efficiency drops to 98% (which is pretty close to absolute). If they measured the same filter with 2 micron particles the efficiency would drop off correspondingly.

The kicker is that most filter manufacturers don't publish the efficiency, so you may buy a 2 micron filter that passes more particles of that size than some other manufacturers 10 micron filter.

Fleetguard told me that if a manufacturer is marketing a 2 micron filter, most likely it's nowhere close to absolute. So your typical 2 micron filter is probably closer to 7 or 8 micron absolute.
Old 02-18-2012

the 1 micron absolute filters my son uses are 360 bucks each.... i won't be using any of those.
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.