Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 08-09-2018

Default Kohler 12.5 electrical issues

79 FC35XV

Just acquired this beauty. I haven't posted yet because it seems every question I have had so far has already been answered. Thank you for having such an awesome forum. Now to my problem. I had a perfectly good running generator until two days ago. I had the generator start battery out and went to put it back in. Noticed the battery charging switch on the control panel which had "high" on the top, "low" on the bottom and "off" in the middle. It was on high, I switched it to off and hooked up the battery. A minute later I noticed some smoke coming out of the control box. Don't know if its related to that battery charging switch or not, just thought I would mention it since it was the only thing I had changed.

Symptoms: No start using the switch indoors. Used to hit the switch and the gauge lights, and gauges would come on, engine would start. Now no lights at gauges and no clicking sounds of relays or solenoids. I can start the engine by crossing terminals at the start solenoid but it will not stay running. With the control box cover off, I put a multi-meter on one of the AC legs and it showed voltage with the engine running while holding the start solenoid. However the cooling fan doesn't come on so its not getting AC.

I believe the problem lies on the DC side prior to the starter but where to start? I hope its something simply like one of those relays but how do I tell which one? What is the start sequence/checks this thing goes through? How do the HWT and LOP switches work?

I have a manual in my blue box however it only addresses the generator's engine and doesn't contain anything about the control box. The control box number is worn off so can't read that.
Old 08-09-2018
Gardner

Here is a directory of Kohler drawings. The main directory has tons of files.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ER%20DRAWINGS/

Main Directory:
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/downloads

You need to find out where the smoke came from to begin. The switch you talk about is not a BB item that I have ever seen. Probably a PO add-on?
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-09-2018

Here is a picture of the switch. Has anyone seen this before? Also looking for a fuse in the control box and haven’t found one yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21D74B4F-7FB1-42DD-ADC2-28FFF3EACF0B.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	56876  
Old 08-09-2018
Administrator

BB in some years installed two chargers or a charger with two outputs.
Calling them high or low, since they were battery boilers, a lower voltage could be used. My guess is these chargers are long gone, but you need to find the wires and the smoke
Old 08-09-2018
Administrator

BB in some years installed two chargers or a charger with two outputs.
Calling them high or low, since they were battery boilers, a lower voltage could be used. My guess is these chargers are long gone, but you need to find the wires and the smoke.

Not to detract from your Generator issue, but what was the outcome of your earlier posts?

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=31401
Old 08-09-2018

Update:

It appears PO installed a toggle switch in the cabinet under the dinette bypassing something in the control box. The toggle was broken but I took the wires off and twisted them together and the generator started. It runs fine and makes 240V. My guess is he bypassed either the HWT or LOP or both. I would like to be able to use the factory switch and safety items. I’m guessing that this problem has been intermittent and that’s why the new switch is in there. For now I can replace the toggle but any ideas on where to start making it right?

Regarding the earlier posts. I bought this FC, which needed a ton of work, from my friend who is going to get the one in Buena Vista mentioned in my earlier posts. He never liked the Cat NA engine and is dying to put in a Cummins and upgraded trans. So that particular bird is perfect for him. He will be getting that one home sometime this fall.
Old 08-10-2018

Located the source of smoke. The wires leading to both the battery charging switch and the cranking reset button are melting so the problem lies with those. According to Tom Warner’s rebuild, it appears that these can be eliminated entirely. Any ideas on what the looks like without doing the complete rebuild?