Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 5 Days Ago

Default fc 35 generator wiring

I recently removed my Perkins Kohler and replaced with an Onan 8KW, it all seemed to be fine and it worked well, when I wired the new control box to the BB wiring I had some trouble as the wiring diagram for the kohler box didn't seem to quite match the wire functions to the BB switches in the bus, but working through each wire we were able to get everything to work as expected with the only quirk being that "on" light in the switch was illuminated always. Trial and error experiments did not seem to correct this and since everything worked I thought I could live with it.

I tested the functions daily for a week and it was all fine. I then went on to other things and I returned to run the generator this morning and there is no power to the BB switches at any location, opening the tray there is no power to the Onan control box, I can bring power directly from the battery and the unit turns over so it seems to me I have blown a fuse in the bus which sends power to the switch (the light is not on BTW)

I am sure there must be a fuse but I have looked through all of my wiring info and I do not see it, I have searched the WOG database also no luck, can anyone tell me where to find this fuse?? also any ideas what I might have done wrong with regard to the indicator light issue?

Thanks

Bill
Old 5 Days Ago

The fuse that would have powered that light was actually on the old Kohler gen head's control box. So if you have the +12 that came into that box from the gen battery connected to the new generator box that's not the issue. On the old Kohler control box the light was illuminated by the 120v 11-pin relay inside the box that closed when AC power came up. This relay would switch the +12 side of the light. What does the Onan provide for an external signal?

Here is a good diagram of the old setup for reference.

Gen diagram
Old 5 Days Ago

Also, just looked over the FC diagram - the switches inside the bus should be provided a ground connection as well at the light, so I'd say wherever you had a ground connected to those switches has failed. They need to be grounded back at the generator, and there would have been a wire there on the old gen control box for that.
Old 5 Days Ago

thanks but I'm sure its not a ground issue at least not between the switch and the box, the box is grounded as is the switch. when we were trying to figure out how to wire it there are a couple of things that are apparent, in both control boxes there are no other sources of power for the starting relays but for the BB 8 wires which originate with the switch, when testing two wires originating in the BB were powered (I thought it odd that it was two) so now none of them has power so I concluded that I have blown a fuse in the bus that supplies the control box starting relay?
Old 4 Days Ago

after talking it over with the electrician buddy who is the electrical brains behind the conversion and helped my wire it up I realize I was wrong about where the source of the power was in the control box, in fact it comes from the main battery connection at the starter, into the box and then to the bus switches. So looking for fuses in the bus is clearly wrong. I read about the many connector issues and have inspected the connection as see no issue and did find power at the male side of the plug. So the problem clearly is in that control box. Seeing no fuses, burned wires or bad connections should I be concentrating on the board?
Old 4 Days Ago

Maybe the lightbulb in the switch was acting as your fuse?
'08 Super Bee
Old 4 Days Ago

Got a wiring diagram for the Onan?
Old 4 Days Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Got a wiring diagram for the Onan?
in the files
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
in the files
I thought he got an aftermarket one? I guess I don't know.
Old 4 Days Ago

I found the schematic today, will have another go at it on the weekend, thanks