Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 6 Days Ago
Black Sheep Division

Unhappy Air throttle, fast idle, and cruise control malfunction.

We were en route to Atlanta when the cruise control hung in accelerate mode. Fortunately, I was driving at the time. Very glad the DW wasn't behind the wheel. She is doing real well chauffeuring me around but I still have to drive through tunnels and cities.

Anyway, I have just gotten behind the wheel to drive the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Set the Cruise for 55 and it started accelerating. It had always accelerated a little (2-4 MPH) anyway so I take that into account; however. when it hit 65 I tried to turn it off. Tried both buttons both ways, kept accelerating. I could get it to disengage if I applied the brake REAL hard. After doing that through the first tunnel I figured I would overheat the brakes before long, need another solution quick! I finally applied brake until it slowed to 46 MPH & shifted to 4th gear. That kept me at 48 MPH until the end of the bridge tunnel and I managed to pull into the No Parking zone just passed the toll booths by applying brake and downshifting. Once stopped I shifted to neutral but when I released the brake the engine tried to rev up to governor. I shut down the engine and unplugged the electrical connection on the cruise. That fixed the problem but I have lost fast idle also.

Since I just found out the air cylinder is unavailable anyway, ( https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=31345 ) what can I replace the entire unit with that does not involve rebuilding the entire engine?

TOM
Old 6 Days Ago
John Wyatt - Admin

Did you check the throttle springs:

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=23187
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 6 Days Ago

Tom, if you can sit on your hands for a few weeks, I will be spending 9 days at Indian River Inlet campground in Delaware starting June 15th. I would be more than happy to assist and help you disassemble and diagnose what is going on with the CC5 module and air solenoids.

If you want to completely replace the system, King Cruise would be the way to go, but I do not know the cost or materials involved in upgrading your system. Also, on my '85, the cruise module had nothing to do with high idle. Hi-idle is controlled by an air operated solenoid on top of the throttle housing.

My suspicion is that one of your throttle return springs is broken and/or lodging in the throttle cable pivot, jamming it randomly. Check that you have two strong springs pulling back on the throttle assembly before going any further. With key on, the coach air at 120 psi and the engine off, depress the accelerator pedal and see if the throttle cable pulls and then returns to the idle position.

“Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 6 Days Ago
Black Sheep Division

I think the mechanical parts are OK. Both springs are there and strong. Disconnecting one of the electrical plugs on the unit solved the problem. In addition, We have driven from VA to Atlanta with no further problems. I would think if it were something mechanical it would have happened again.

Shane, I am limited by some health problems right now so I may not be up for work but I would at least like to meet you when you come down. We can coordinate later if you have time. I don't really need the cruise but the fast idle is handy. My fast idle is an electric rocker switch on the dash so it starts out as electric. It appears the electric is converted to air on the cruise module. Like I said, health problems are limiting me right now so I haven't done a lot of diagnoses. Thanks for the info King Cruise!

TOM

Last edited by oldmansax; 6 Days Ago at 07:49 PM. Reason: add info