Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 06-16-2015
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
I dunno. I have them on the '00 but didn't on the '95 and have not been able to see a difference. Might take mine off. Bending the valve stem may make the TPMS sensor interfere. Will check it today.

Thanks for the heads up, Gary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagfc View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The bend would have to be sort of an "S" shape to get the stem centered up in the hole to allow space for the TPMS sensor to be installed. I will take a look at that.
When the Centramatics were installed on the front wheels on my 'Bird by the Speedco shop in Brunswick, GA who are also a Centramatics dealer, all they did was bend the tire valve out toward the edge of the rim, no kinks or S shape to it, that was about three years ago and I have not had any issue with them. The new TireTraker TPMS sensors are smaller in diameter than the Pressure Pro's that I had been using, I have no problem removing either of them even with my hand tremors which can make getting things like that accomplished difficult at times.
If you look closely you can see that there is about 1/8 inch clearance between the tire valve stem and the Centramatics balancer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BENT TIRE VALVE AND TPMS.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	36168  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-16-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
Gary,

KC posted here about putting a little bend in your valve stems to get clearance for the centermatics.

Here's a little detail:
I was working with KC at his shop when he installed new tires and valve stems on his steer axle. We found that the valve stems hit the top edge of the centermatics and would eventually wear at that spot. Like KC said, a little bending in the vice is really all it took. Valves stems are generally made of chrome plated brass. So the are fairly easy to reshape. We just had to put a slight S shape bend in his. Just be careful not to bugger the threads on the end of the valve stem. Keep the cap on while working with them.

We also had the luxury of working with an extra rim with no tire mounted. So we could do trial fittings and bend just a little at a time.
One thing not mentioned here - the new (front) wheels are 9" which came 1-1/2" holes. I opened them up to 2" diameter for added clearance and to match all the other wheels (8-1/4" width with 2" dia. holes) on the coach. TOYO tries all around TST TPMS system - 8 on coach & 4 on trailer.
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 06-16-2015

We bent the valve stems as much as we could without the TPMS interfering with the hole edge. Still in contact with the Centramatics. It must have been under a large force befroe we did that. I suppose now it is free to vibrate. An "S" might do it, but I'm thinking more and more of getting rid of the Centramatics.
Old 06-17-2015
95 WB 42

Ron
Ii use Magnum+ in our tires on the coach , truck, and trailer. Magnum+ is small ceramic beads not a powder as I understand Equal is. Just replaced tires on truck 52,000 miles insides of tires looked new absolutely no damage to tire or beads. No issues at all with valve stems . Been in coach tires for 2+ years now with no issues did cut a sidewall last year and replaced tire insides looked new also.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 06-17-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSS View Post
One thing not mentioned here - the new (front) wheels are 9" which came 1-1/2" holes. I opened them up to 2" diameter for added clearance and to match all the other wheels (8-1/4" width with 2" dia. holes) on the coach. TOYO tries all around TST TPMS system - 8 on coach & 4 on trailer.
And KC how long did it take you to enlarge those holes????

I was there to witness said hole enlargement and even helped scoop up the shavings. KC is one expert hole enlarger. I think he'd make a FINE dentist. If the patient could keep his mouth open long enough and wide enough.

Kidding KC a little. I admire the heck out of the fellow.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold