Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 03-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Both of us know that the bus engine will get him over the hill... one way or another. These ol' girls are tough. But that assumes that all 276,000 fasteners, lock nuts, brake springs and air components perform as designed. Have any of us subjected a pressurized cooling system, 20 year-old hoses and clamps to reduced atmospheric pressure and a boiling point of only 184 degrees? (my engine runs at 190 most of the time) If he does break down up in the high country, he can pretty much forget about the coach being there when he gets back with the needed parts... assuming they are available. Would I risk everything I have currently in my possession for the thrill of crossing the great divide?

Probably not.
He's going to lose 2 psi compared to sea level. The boiling point of af/water mix should be about 220F at sea level, with a 7 lb cap that goes to 238ish. It would go down to a boiling point of about 235 or so at 15,000 feet. This isn't really a problem.
Old 03-27-2019

A lot of iffy looking cars made it over
Cape Cod,ma
Old 03-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
A lot of iffy looking cars made it over
Look at the trash that makes it over some of those even-higher roads in India every day. Big trucks, buses, rot box cars, motorcycles, and tractors all day.
Old 03-27-2019
Forum owner

The skinny roads in India they can have,the Chile road looks safer,maybe not.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-27-2019

Randy, dose your friend intend on going this alone or has he considered a support vehicle in the event thing go sideways.

The only thing I keep thinking about is, No way my BMC would have the braking endurance to make it down the other side with out trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFSupport.GIF
Views:	383
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	60943  
Old 03-27-2019
Forum owner

Eric is a member here,he will be along to tell us his plans.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-27-2019

Eric has already gone where probably 95+% of WOGers would never tread. He seems to be very self sufficient. I would not think that going down would be a problem, just use the retarder and stop if the temps get high. The engine certainly won’t be loading up the cooling system with BTU’s. Went down a 14% grade with my SP with out using the brakes with no issues. I am sure their grade is longer, so just stop until it cools.
Old 03-27-2019

Let me start by saying that this post is not in any way intended to diminish what Eric is considering with his Wanderlodge. Having driven many Andes mountain roads in small 4x4’s, he has my full admiration for what he wants to accomplish.

Chile is a country of seriously high mountains so it has a lot of roads at high altitudes. Paso de Agua Negra (the road in question) is listed as #20 in the highest mountain roads of Chile — there’s even one slightly higher that is paved. The king of them all is Ojos del Salado which is an astounding 22,608 ft — not that I’d call this a road since it’s just a couple of tire tracks through the rocks and gravel of a stratovolcano. It does, however, serve as the holy grail site (much like Bonneville for speed) for people trying to set the highest altitude reached by a land vehicle. The current record for a 4 wheel vehicle is 21,948 ft set by a couple of Chileans using a heavily modified 1986 Suzuki Samurai (redneck mechanics, Chilean stye). A Chilean using a Suzuki RMZ 450 holds the record for motorcycles at 21,233 ft, beating out the old record that was set in the Himalayas. Of note to us oil burners, the highest truck is 21,899 in a Mercedes Benz Zetros which is also the highest altitude recorded for a diesel engine vehicle.

So, I’m thinking Eric has the perfect vehicle for setting the world’s highest RV record — question is, who keeps that stat? And if Paso de Agua Negra does not get him high enough, he’s close to a lot of other options that could get him even higher. Then again, maybe Eric doesn’t care about records and is just looking for the next scenic drive — I can appreciate that!
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 03-27-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexspeed View Post
Let me start by saying that this post is not in any way intended to diminish what Eric is considering with his Wanderlodge. Having driven many Andes mountain roads in small 4x4’s, he has my full admiration for what he wants to accomplish.

Chile is a country of seriously high mountains so it has a lot of roads at high altitudes. Paso de Agua Negra (the road in question) is listed as #20 in the highest mountain roads of Chile — there’s even one slightly higher that is paved. The king of them all is Ojos del Salado which is an astounding 22,608 ft — not that I’d call this a road since it’s just a couple of tire tracks through the rocks and gravel of a stratovolcano. It does, however, serve as the holy grail site (much like Bonneville for speed) for people trying to set the highest altitude reached by a land vehicle. The current record for a 4 wheel vehicle is 21,948 ft set by a couple of Chileans using a heavily modified 1986 Suzuki Samurai (redneck mechanics, Chilean stye). A Chilean using a Suzuki RMZ 450 holds the record for motorcycles at 21,233 ft, beating out the old record that was set in the Himalayas. Of note to us oil burners, the highest truck is 21,899 in a Mercedes Benz Zetros which is also the highest altitude recorded for a diesel engine vehicle.

So, I’m thinking Eric has the perfect vehicle for setting the world’s highest RV record — question is, who keeps that stat? And if Paso de Agua Negra does not get him high enough, he’s close to a lot of other options that could get him even higher. Then again, maybe Eric doesn’t care about records and is just looking for the next scenic drive — I can appreciate that!
Great post!!
and great info,man thats some cool stuff.

We will keep score,if Eric makes it over the top.
Its ours,all ours! The record of course!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-28-2019
AKA Tent Boy

The record, will have to be classified as the highest Wanderlodge, as I was looking on G maps, I found this rv on top!!!

Highest class C RV

Also, you guys were talking about the wine Malbec;

It's a really good wine, we drink it quite often...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Malbec.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	60958  

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com