Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 01-31-2013
RV Appraiser

Default Bequeath Letter & Will

Yesterday Fran & I went and redid our wills, no you’re not getting anything but while we were there I made a donation to the University of Louisville Medical School. They get me. Fran asked if that was what I really wanted to do and I said yes; being a cheap ******* I’m trying to save her a few bucks by not having a funeral. No in all seriousness this has become a soft spot in my heart, we all know we will go sometime so when we go why not help someone else if we can. Medical Labs need to see the results on our bodies to understand what has gone wrong so medical science can figure out what they can do to make things right. Medical students & dentist need a few parts to work on, to craft their profession. This last week we saw a young Iraq war veteran sporting two transplanted arms to make his life more comfortable. We both have living wills and we both are organ donors, and if I can help someone else what better can I do for my family & friends?
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 01-31-2013

If it helps anybody, pm me and I can tell you exactly how the bodies are used and more importantly how they are treated when a med school uses them. Dignity is kept at the highest levels. The rest is not for open discussion.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 02-01-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Some of you already know that I'm still around because of a thoughtful person who chose to be an organ donor, as I have been living a somewhat normal life due to my Kidney transplant in 1976.

Because of that I chose to also be a Body Donor after I'm gone and that choice has been clearly indicated on my drivers license and I also carry a Body Donor Card.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-01-2013
Administrator

Me too, I am also a believer in research & medical education
Old 02-01-2013

Interesting. I commend the two John's for there decision to donate their bodies. Just a little more information . Most of the bodies that are used are bodies that for some reason are unclaimed and often not in good condition. Making things difficult for the students. Good bodies are few and far between so you will be appreciated and it really is a wonderful thing to do. (Good being a relative term) Having said that it would be difficult for me to do. Why? You know there is no good reason that is rational but just the thought... Strange isn't it? Organ donation no problem but the thoughts of the anatomy lab bothers me. Irrational I know but so is every other aspect of death.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-01-2013

There is a book, "Stiff: the curious lives of human cadavers" by Mary Roach. It gives a pop lit approach to uses of human cadavers. I read it a couple years ago.

Might be worth reading when WOG switches servers and there's nothing left to do....
"SamDotKat"
Old 02-01-2013

From the point of view of a son whose father chose this path back in 1981, I wish we had post-mortem flatly ignored my father's wishes and interned him in the ground next to his parents. There would now be a place I could visit with my children and talk to them about their grandfather.
Old 02-01-2013

Having attended autopsies many times in my former profession the word "dignity" is a little hard for me to get a grasp on. Like John Mace said it isn't for discussion in an open forum, so I will leave it at that. I am an organ donor and have been for many years. Unfortunately the older I get the less usable parts I might have to donate but maybe something will be salvageable. Michele's mom and dad have gone the body donation route to the IU School of Medicine. Only because of the autopsy thing I am not sure about me doing the same thing. But I'm still thinking about it. Until I change my mind I told my kids that cremation is good, no funeral. Went through that with my wife and honestly it is the hardest thing I ever went through. I think it was the same for my daughters. I told the kids that I want them to throw a party, get out the hog cooker, buy a keg, sit around and eat and drink and have fun. Tell stories about me whether they are good or bad and don't mourn me. Be happy that I cared for them and loved them more than anything in this world.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-01-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Having attended autopsies many times in my former profession the word "dignity" is a little hard for me to get a grasp on. Like John Mace said it isn't for discussion in an open forum, so I will leave it at that. I am an organ donor and have been for many years. Unfortunately the older I get the less usable parts I might have to donate but maybe something will be salvageable. Michele's mom and dad have gone the body donation route to the IU School of Medicine. Only because of the autopsy thing I am not sure about me doing the same thing. But I'm still thinking about it. Until I change my mind I told my kids that cremation is good, no funeral. Went through that with my wife and honestly it is the hardest thing I ever went through. I think it was the same for my daughters. I told the kids that I want them to throw a party, get out the hog cooker, buy a keg, sit around and eat and drink and have fun. Tell stories about me whether they are good or bad and don't mourn me. Be happy that I cared for them and loved them more than anything in this world.

That sounds pretty close to an Irish wake to me!!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-01-2013
RV Appraiser

If I may add Fran will recieve my ashes in an urn once the University has had their opportunity to do as they wish. I have left instructions in my will to take those ashes to be spread on the waters of our favorite lake in Canada. If that is not possible I left authorization for her to do as she wishes, however if I do end up on our lake in Canada I have asked a few of my bird friends to turn it into a bird rally. So who's in?
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_