Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 11-15-2008

Default Which weight oil to use in an 6V or 8V

Years ago, at a DD seminar we had a long discussion about using anything other than straight 40W oil in the 6V-8V engines. At that time the advice was never-never-never under any circumstances use any multigrade oil.

Has anyone heard anything different?

I also wonder about using Amsoil products here?

The answer from DD was that no multigrade oil, a that time, was formulated to handle the soot and other needs of a two-cycle engine.

This maybe an appropriate discussion for some of the newer members.

One of the major issues here is that straight 40W can be difficult to find.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 11-15-2008
Forum owner

straight weight oil is still what the 2 strokers require.
i get it at NAPA

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-15-2008
Forum Moderator

Somewhere I have a list of 40W oils in a decending list of best to worst. Delo 100 is close to the top and more available than some that were rated slightly better. It isn't just the 40W but also other factors that DD took into consideration. I can't remember all the factors but some dealt with ash content and others concerned physical abilities to combat heat and corrosive compounds. If I can find the list and info I will make it available.
Old 11-15-2008
Senior

Go to Detroit Diesel http://tinyurl.com/58q3p8 page 2-3 and 2-4 for two stroke 6V92 etc.

I keep copies of all of these in my bluebox in binders. I suggest everyone does it.
6V92
Old 11-16-2008

Pretty much what I expected, but with all the new oil products available and being out of main stream RV'ing for the past couple of years thought someone may have come up with something new.

I use Delco when I can get it or whatever the local DD has in stock.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 11-17-2008

Ok guys. You are talking to a complete idiot when it comes to the mechanical stuff here. So far I am more confused than ever. Just when I thought I was getting a handle on things. I'm not ready to change oil yet but will the first thing in the spring. I think I have a 2-stroke engine but then again I don't even know that for sure because I have no idea what that means. I just think I have one because that seems to be the concensus of those that have a '93 500 HP Turbo, which I have. Tom put an attachment on his post that I read and it started out saying to use SAE40 for the 2-stroke and pre 2007, which I believe I fall into. Then at the end there is a chart giving you the names of all the brands and the viscosity and they all say 15W40, with a few exceptions. So what do I do now? The previous owner used Amsoil Synthetic. I don't have the deep pockets that he did but I probably will stick with that and know that it works. He always had the oil analyzed and it checked out good. Why is the type of oil we use so complicated or am I just making it too complicated? I'm begining to understand why I saw so many coaches with a hundred thousand miles or less that had the engines overhauled, when I was looking to buy. I kept hearing the terminology that the DD was bullit proof, then how could this be. Now I see these people most likely were as clueless as I am as to what to do and how to take care of them. They probably put in the wrong oils and what ever and screwed them up.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 11-17-2008
Forum Moderator

Jim your engine is almost certainly a two stroke 8V92. You need to put straight 40W oil in it and I believe the specification is CF-2
Old 11-17-2008

Jim:

This is exactly the reason I started this thread. When we purchased our coach in '96 the 60 series were just coming out and they use 10-40. Everyone wanted to know if they could use multigrade in their 8V. Again the answer is absolutely NO. Problem is the right 40w is getting a little hard to get, it's very unlikely you'll find it at your corner truckstop (not even a Flying J).

I buy mine in bulk from the local DD dealers, or even better I find the local bulk oil supplier and save a buck a quart. I use the oil in my bulk tank, fill up to "LOW" mark on the dipstick and then fill the bulk tank back up. My coach only burns about a qt every 3000 miles so the 3 gal bulk tank gives you plenty of range.

Something you may want to check, on my coach there is 6 qts between the "Add" and "Full" mark. I have learned to run my coach at the "Add" mark or a qt higher. If I fill all the way to top I'll pull the oil down to "Add" mark in half the time. It's just a waste of oil.

My Blue Box says that it takes 32 qts to fill when changing filter, I've never put in more that 27 qt.

I use either Delco or Mobil with the proper grading.

Hope this helps.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 11-17-2008

Thanks guys. There are times I feel like a duck out of water because of not being very mechanically inclined. Put a wrench in my hand and I could screw up a train wreck. Put a saw and a hammer in my hand I could build the proverbial piano. I'm just finishing up building my third house. Don't know why I have such a tough time with the mechanical stuff but I guess it just never interested me. When I was a kid growing up in the 50's and early 60's my buddies did all my mechanical work for me on my cars so I just never got into it. Now I'm capable of changing oil or a battery but past that I'm clueless. Thanks again for your response and for not laughing at this old fool. I'm sure when some people read this stuff that I ask about they wonder, "where did this rube come from."

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 11-17-2008
Senior

Jim many of us are in the very same boat as we learn the systems on our coaches. Some are just luckier then others in that they know which end of a screwdriver to pickup and use first. Others just plow headlong into working on their coaches without the knowledge to do so and pay for it in spades.

The best recommendation that I can give is to do what I have always done. Write down the information that I can find about the exact system I want to work on, print it out and stick it in my bluebook and then read it a few times until I am sure I understand exactly what to do.

I told Gardner Yeaw and a few others at our rally here in Vernon in July that I have always kept a small notebook for my coach and everytime I find something to work on I write all of the information down from it. For instance my chassis circulating pumps are Groco CP20BB, REDMOND PV23640, 12VDC ignition protected. So I went to the manufacturer of the pumps http://www.groco.net/ and got everything I need to repair or replace it. Then a place to buy one http://www.apartswarehouse.com/ and here is the exact pump for a mere $140 each (ouch!) http://apartswarehouse.com/store/product615.html

I print all of this out and put it in my bluebook also and if I ever need a pump it takes only minutes to find and order one if BB does not have it in stock.

And by the way this company A Parts Warehouse has lots of BB parts like blower motors, a double shaft motor for your A/C condenser etc.
6V92