Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 06-15-2015
!st bird - September 2014

Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System Pays Off

We were driving up I-95 and I got an alarm on my Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).I looked at the display, and it indicated that the left front tire was losing air (slowly).I was near an exit, so we got off and when I stopped, I verified the reading on the TPMS with a tire gauge, added air to the tire and went back inside and washed my hands and cooled off.I checked the TPMS and watched it for a while and we were still losing air.I shut down the generator so I could hear better and I could actually hear the leak, near the valve stem.I also noticed that the tube/ring for the Centramatic wheel balancer was touching the valve stem.I checked the right front wheel and saw the same condition.We checked the internet and found a truck stop/service center two exits up the road.I brought the left front tire up to the correct pressure and moved to the truck stop.When the mechanic dismount the tire and removed the leaking stem there was some wear damage on the stem where it had been touching the Centramatic balancer (see photo) but the leak was from the damaged seal where the stem interfaces with the rim.That seal was destroyed.He replaced both front wheel valve stems and we removed the Centramatic balancers.I talked to a technical rep at Centramatic and they did not have a solution for achieving clearance between the balancer and the valve stem on the particular wheel and hub/drum configuration that I have so I don’t have any plans to put them back on but I am sold on the TPMS.I am sure that it saved me a tire and a road service call and maybe more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2137.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	36150  

Gary Cranfield & Terry O'Hare
1998 41LXi
Celtic Coach
Bridgeton, NJ
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=354
Old 06-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagfc View Post
We were driving up I-95 and I got an alarm on my Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).I looked at the display, and it indicated that the left front tire was losing air (slowly).I was near an exit, so we got off and when I stopped, I verified the reading on the TPMS with a tire gauge, added air to the tire and went back inside and washed my hands and cooled off.I checked the TPMS and watched it for a while and we were still losing air.I shut down the generator so I could hear better and I could actually hear the leak, near the valve stem.I also noticed that the tube/ring for the Centramatic wheel balancer was touching the valve stem.I checked the right front wheel and saw the same condition.We checked the internet and found a truck stop/service center two exits up the road.I brought the left front tire up to the correct pressure and moved to the truck stop.When the mechanic dismount the tire and removed the leaking stem there was some wear damage on the stem where it had been touching the Centramatic balancer (see photo) but the leak was from the damaged seal where the stem interfaces with the rim.That seal was destroyed.He replaced both front wheel valve stems and we removed the Centramatic balancers.I talked to a technical rep at Centramatic and they did not have a solution for achieving clearance between the balancer and the valve stem on the particular wheel and hub/drum configuration that I have so I don’t have any plans to put them back on but I am sold on the TPMS.I am sure that it saved me a tire and a road service call and maybe more.
A little careful bending is necessary to achieve clearance. Not a problem providing you have necessary clearance.
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 06-15-2015

If you were the original purchaser of the centramatic balancer, they send a small piece of steel tubing to help position/bend the valve stem for clearance.

Centramatic warns to provide clearance between the valve stem and the balancer in their literature.

I'm not trying to sell you on the Centramatic balancers but since you have them they are, in my opinion, a good way to balance the wheel and tire.
Toad: "The Heep"

Last edited by Tim T.; 06-15-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2015

So Gary,

What brand of Tire Brand Monitoring System do you heartily endorse?
1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40 (Runaway Train)
Toads - 2003 Chevy SSR
1949 Harley Panhead
Old 06-15-2015

Default TPMS Name

I have a TPMS by EZRV Products. I thought it was pretty straight forward to set up for the bus & toad and I did not have to use the repeater to see the toad. I got the system at the RV show in Tampa in the Spring so I don't have a lot of time on it yet but the readings have been accurate and the alarm works.

1998 41LXi
Celtic Coach
Bridgeton, NJ
Old 06-15-2015
ANOTHER REDNECK

Centramatic is teh deal for me..just bend that stem out of the way
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 06-16-2015
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagfc View Post
I believe in the Centramatics, they do work well, so in my opinion I wouldn't do away with them. As several have posted, the stem can be bent. I didn't have the tool to bend mine so I used a piece of fuel line slipped down over the valve stem where it runs close to the Centramatic balancer. The fuel line is such a tight fit that its not going anywhere and its so thick that I don't see it wearing through as being an issue (and yes folks I have checked several times and no wear).

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 06-16-2015

I dunno. I have them on the '00 but didn't on the '95 and have not been able to see a difference. Might take mine off. Bending the valve stem may make the TPMS sensor interfere. Will check it today.

Thanks for the heads up, Gary.
Old 06-16-2015

Gary,

KC posted here about putting a little bend in your valve stems to get clearance for the centermatics.

Here's a little detail:
I was working with KC at his shop when he installed new tires and valve stems on his steer axle. We found that the valve stems hit the top edge of the centermatics and would eventually wear at that spot. Like KC said, a little bending in the vice is really all it took. Valves stems are generally made of chrome plated brass. So the are fairly easy to reshape. We just had to put a slight S shape bend in his. Just be careful not to bugger the threads on the end of the valve stem. Keep the cap on while working with them.

We also had the luxury of working with an extra rim with no tire mounted. So we could do trial fittings and bend just a little at a time.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 06-16-2015

Thanks for the feedback. The bend would have to be sort of an "S" shape to get the stem centered up in the hole to allow space for the TPMS sensor to be installed. I will take a look at that.

1998 41LXi
Celtic Coach
Bridgeton, NJ