Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-16-2008

Default Stinking battery

Good morning all. When I walked in my shop this morning (I keep the Bird in there) something smelled funky. At first I thought I might have a propane leak, but started sniffing around and followed my nose to the starting batteries. One of the 2 is very warm and putting out the foul odor, the other seems fine. I have heard of batteries outgassing, but have never smelled this before. Is this a sign that the battery is headed south? These are NAPA commercial truck/tractor starting batteries, a little over 2 years old.

Thanks,
Dave
1990 36SP
Old 01-16-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodgerhead View Post
Good morning all. When I walked in my shop this morning (I keep the Bird in there) something smelled funky. At first I thought I might have a propane leak, but started sniffing around and followed my nose to the starting batteries. One of the 2 is very warm and putting out the foul odor, the other seems fine. I have heard of batteries outgassing, but have never smelled this before. Is this a sign that the battery is headed south? These are NAPA commercial truck/tractor starting batteries, a little over 2 years old.

Thanks,
Dave
1990 36SP
Dave,

That very well may be a sign that the battery is shorting internally and is causing the heat to build up and the smell, I would disconnect them ASAP just in case, until you can determine what is causing the problem. I suggest that you remove the batteries and have them both tested for specific gravity and a load test to determine their condition.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-16-2008

Default stinking

VERY CAREFULLY REMOVE THE BATTERY

disconnect negative post first to prevent sparks
wear safety Glasses when handling this Battery

this battery is defective

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 01-16-2008
popeye

Default Stinky battery

You may have overcharged it... you should look at your charger as a possible source of the issue. if you caught it early enough the battery may not be bad and may in fact be "savable" (that's not a techical term). It will certainly need water and a load test.
Old 01-24-2008

Default stinking battery

Stephen is right by suggesting to remove the battery carefully. I had 4 gel cels in my coach. Out of no-where i noticed a big charge (100Amp) from the alternator charging. I found 3 normal and one very warm battery in the compartment. The warm one was internally shorted. Gone south. The smell was awful.
Juergen in PA
1991 WLSP36