Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-12-2011

Default Does my Aqua Hot do this?

I was just reading on the Aqua Hot website that the engine pre-heating feature not only heats coolant To the engine for cold starts, but additionally heats the boiler FROM the engine too. I wonder if my 2000 has this feature, or is it something more recent???

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 02-12-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam express View Post
I was just reading on the Aqua Hot website that the engine pre-heating feature not only heats coolant To the engine for cold starts, but additionally heats the boiler FROM the engine too. I wonder if my 2000 has this feature, or is it something more recent???
It should have it. There's one loop going from the AH to the engine. This loop has an "engine pre-heat pump" that's controlled by a switch on the ceiling console mounted above the captains seat. This loop allows the AH to heat the engine and, if the engine is running, it allows the engine to heat the AH.

Some folks have warned against running the pre-heat pump if the engine is running. I spoke with AH about this and they didn't have any issue with it as long as the currents are in the same direction, and they should be. There's no real benefit however, so you might as well turn the preheat pump off if the engine is running. The S60 water pump will circulate coolant thru the AH heating the AH.
Old 02-12-2011

What's an S60 pump?

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 02-12-2011

series 60 water pump

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 02-14-2011
Bluebird Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam express View Post
Our 2001 has the Aqua-Hot and also has this feature. According to Roger Berke, an Aqua-Hot technician that has repaired our coach (and spoke to a bunch of us at "Q" this year, it will pre-heat the engine to about 60 degrees, but it can take an hour or more to do so.

I was not sure about the engine heating the Aqua-Hot - I thought we would need to keep the engine heat button on in order circulate through the engine. I asked Roger about it and he said that it should not be on while the vehicle is running. He didn't really explain why but we now leave ours off while running.

It is very nice to have the heat in the coach without needing to run the generator while on the road in cold weather.
Old 02-15-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetersman View Post
Our 2001 has the Aqua-Hot and also has this feature. According to Roger Berke, an Aqua-Hot technician that has repaired our coach (and spoke to a bunch of us at "Q" this year, it will pre-heat the engine to about 60 degrees...
I suspect what Roger meant is that the AH will heat the engine to approximately 60 degrees above ambient. In my garage, where the air temp is 65 deg F, the AH will heat the engine to well over 100 deg F. If you're in zero deg F weather the engine may only heat to 60 deg F. I suspect the 60 deg F delta number is based on empirical data. It's a tough calculation to make. It depends on the surface area of the engine, transmission, and cooling system (radiator), laminar or turbulent convection flow, average differences in temperature, and the heat power of the AH. It does take time, I'd give it 6 hrs or so and preferably over night.
Old 02-15-2011
Itchintogo

Hi David,

Does this engine heat function on the AH work on the electricity portion of the AH? Or are you burning diesel to accomplish this? How much current does it draw ( is the same element as the water heater?) if it is electric?

Sorry if my question seems silly, I don't know much about the AH.
Old 02-15-2011

Craig,

The engine water pump will be pushing the coolant around, so you don't need the AH pump also doing it's thing.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 02-15-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchintogo View Post
Hi David,

Does this engine heat function on the AH work on the electricity portion of the AH? Or are you burning diesel to accomplish this? How much current does it draw ( is the same element as the water heater?) if it is electric?

Sorry if my question seems silly, I don't know much about the AH.
Hi Gary,

The Engine Preheat does work with the AH electric heating element as well as the diesel fired Webasto furnace. The element is 1650W which means it draws about 13.75A.

The electric element is the same one that's used to provide hot water.

I also have a 1500W in-block immersion heating element that's on its own 100 to 120 deg F thermostat.

The AH Wabasto diesel fired furnace is 13.2KW.

Heat flow rate is proportional to the difference in temperatures, so on a really cold day I have to pull out the big guns, the diesel fired Webasto, to get the engine up to temperature.
Old 02-15-2011
Former Bird Owner

The AquaHot on my '95 had the engine preheat feature. It brings the engine coolant temperature up by about 60 degrees above the ambient temperature.

In practice, I found that the S-60 (in my coach, anyway) was a reluctant starter anytime the ambient temperature was below 40 degrees or so. Depending on the ambient temperature, the AquaHot would bring the engine up to for starting anywhere from 30 minutes (warmer, but cool day) to about an hour (down to about 20 degrees). Once the AquaHot had done its thing, starting was like starting up on a 70 degree day. Turn on the ignition, brrrp, rumble-rumble as the mighty D-60 happily gulped diesel.

While there was also a block heater -- in very cold weather even when left on for 12 hours before start up, it was always a struggle to get the S-60 to light up. There was a time before I understood how the engine pre-heat worked when I only used the block heater. It became a question of if the batteries would die before the engine would live...

Once I learned about the A-H engine pre-heat, I never turned on the block heater again. (indeed, I had my doubts if it even worked...)

Operationally, in most cases, I'd let the diesel burner run while doing the pre-heat cycle. It really doesn't use that much fuel ... and even during pre-heat, the burner would not run constantly. Indeed, since the pre-heat was usually used in the morning before a planned departure, I'd get up, turn on the A-H burner for the shower, switch on the engine pre-heat while eating breakfast. Do the unhook, drop the jacks, pre-departure routine, then when we were ready to go, the engine was warm and ready to start.

The advice to turn off engine preheat while on the road is simply that you're adding _more_ heat to the engine coolant when the engine is running and it is possible to overwhelm the radiator (and overheat the engine) if there are any problems with the cooling system (like a clogged radiator or low coolant level).

On the road, the engine coolant is routed through the heat exchanger in the Aqua-Hot, so that the domestic hot water and the water that goes through the A-H heading cores is plenty warm. On the road, we never needed to run the A-H burner for interior heating. (The chassis heat only served the area up front for the driver and passenger, so in particularly cold conditions it was necessary to turn on the A-H to allow heat to flow into the rest of the coach.)

All in all, I wouldn't want a coach without an A-H (or something quite similar).

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com