Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 05-06-2008

Default Battery equalization with Xantrex 458

I have six Trojan T105 batteries in my coach that are about three years old. I bought the coach in November of last year and have not equalized the batteries. Does anyone feel that the equalization is of any benefit? Anyone have personal experience with it? I ask because I was checking my water levels and state of charge with a hydrometer and two batteries had differences between the cells that seemed too large according to what I remember reading they should have. I read this can affect battery performance. Also after using the batteries for a short time (30 minutes with the T.V. on) the Xantrex control panel showed a battery voltage of 12 volt and the meter read in the "yellow". I am aware that I may be over-reacting to nothing, but....... better to ask the question than wonder
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 05-06-2008

Your batteries are nearing certain death before long. Equalization may help a lot if the batteries are not too far gone. To answer your question properly in detail would take too much space and time, but you are NOT over re-acting at all. Equalization will break up all that sulfate deposits on your battery plates, but if too much deposit is there then your plates _ battery - is ready for the re-cycler. T-105's have each a 105 Amp/hrs in them , so six batteries should get at least 3oo amp hours out of them before they go dim/ 12V/ yellow. My advice would be :get new ones along with a 3 stage charger. ($$$$)
Old 05-07-2008

The inverter/charger he is currently using IS a 3 sage unit.

At this point, you could try equalizing the batteries, but it sounds to me like they might be too far gone. Doesn't hurt to try though. It would probably buy you some time.

If you want to equalize, there is one VERY important thing to do first: Shut off your master DC control. Equalizing will expose the DC system to over 15 volts, which isexcessive for a lot of your DC equipment.
Linden, Michigan
Old 05-07-2008

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to equalize the batteries tomorrow and re-test the specific gravity of all the battery cells and see what I have. I have heard of the Trojan T105's lasting 5 years or more so I'm hoping I've got some time left.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 05-07-2008

Aaron
That 5 years for T-105's is only applying if they were always properly charged, never went below 50% discharge etc. Some folks get even more time out of them. But, do not rely on batteries to last 5 years period. A battery can be ruined in one day. So, equalize and you might get a little time, but start looking for new ones, so you won't be sorry.
What do I use? AGMs, which I put into the compartment and then forget about them for the next 5 - 6 years. I do dust them off every once in a while, monthly/ weekly, depends. Its all about instrumentation, charging and understanding just what they are telling you
Old 05-08-2008

For us newbies, is there a good www or www's that will start to get us up to speed on batteries and proper selection/care/usage?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 05-09-2008

Equalized the batteries yesterday for six hours instead of the eight hours the Xantrex manual says it will take. Let batteries cool for a few hours and checked the specific gravity of all the cells. The cells in all batteries were very close to one another. There were some differences battery to battery but they were all in the same "range" on my tester. So I ran the bus today for a 30 mile run and notice the voltage gauge stayed closer to 13 volts than it ever has since I bought the bus. Also I used the inverter to run the front roof A/C unit and the voltage stayed above 12 volts. It would not stay that high previous to equalizing the batteries. In my opinion the equalizing of the batteries really helped them.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 05-09-2008
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
For us newbies, is there a good www or www's that will start to get us up to speed on batteries and proper selection/care/usage?
John if you want to learn more about batteries here's a site that I often go back to when I have a senior moment

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html
Old 05-09-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
John,

You can find most of that information by going to;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical Batteries, Inverters, and Solar Panels > TROJAN BATTERIES

Once you are on the TROJAN Batteries website click on Technical Support and then Related Links.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-09-2008

Outstanding!! Thanks, guys! Looks like I've got some reading & learning to do!

John

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support