Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-24-2008
Gardner

Pete,
I know what you mean about hitting your head. I prefer to hit my head on the FC mirror. It usually leaves an ugly mark so when I am shaving I am reminded not to do it again. The problem with the awning support is that I managed to stand up, turn and walk into it. Lucky my neck was in the path of the support so I didn't get a mark on my forehead, but the choking sound alerted my wife so she could remind me not to do it again.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-24-2008
Former Bird Owner

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Pete,
I know what you mean about hitting your head. I prefer to hit my head on the FC mirror. It usually leaves an ugly mark so when I am shaving I am reminded not to do it again. The problem with the awning support is that I managed to stand up, turn and walk into it. Lucky my neck was in the path of the support so I didn't get a mark on my forehead, but the choking sound alerted my wife so she could remind me not to do it again.
The Mirrors on my PT are not much different than those on your FC for the head-banging. Especially the one on the curb side seems to be the _perfect_ height, when the jacks are down, to take off about 1/2" of the top of my head.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 06-25-2008

Question Zip Dee awning maintenance

I just went by Zip Dee and bought the handles for pushing out the awning (that just clamp on and make it easier) and the slide rods that go on the side of the coach for raising the awning a little (makes it more adjustable). They also have a kit for a solar screen that clips on to the bottom of the bog awning after you drill holes in the tube and install the clips (since Zip Dees don't have a groove in the tube).

Anyone have experience installing the slide bars and/or solar kit. They look pretty easy. I haven't bought the solar screen kit yet but am considering it.

Thanks,

Lee

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 07-08-2008

Question Zip Dee awning maintenance

Has anyone ever disassembled a Zip Dee awning tube. My little kitchen awning crashed down to the open position today in a thunderstorm. I suspect a recoil spring failure. Don't know. It will not roll up as normal.
I will remove it tomorrow and see what happened. I am certain parts are available. Will search tomorrow. Any comments appreciated.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 07-09-2008

Leroy,
I was just reading the manual for mine the other day and remember it talking about setting the roll up tension. The way they spoke, you should be able to take it apart, replace the spring, put it back together, essentially wind it up and you're back in business.

Just got my manual out, and it indicates using the main bar at the rear of the awning as a "winding lever". There's only one spring (it should be a #200121 for up to a 12', if it's a nonlocking or has a standard spring, the number is 200120), so it shouldn't be difficult to replace. Once repaired, you clockwise wind the main arm bar (when standing at the rear of the awning looking forward) 14 turns for anything up to 16' awnings. This appears to be 14 turns with the awning closed- not sure how you'd accomplish that, unless you remove it completely- as it speaks of thus having 21 turns of tension when open! Then you "fine tune" it so that when you start it closed, you need to push it about 12" closed before the spring takes over. Hope this helps. It also looks like you'll need a couple of rivets- the roller end ones are #316160 and the spring stop one is #316100. Sounds like nothing a couple of cold ones won't fix!!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-09-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasnewski View Post
Has anyone ever disassembled a Zip Dee awning tube. My little kitchen awning crashed down to the open position today in a thunderstorm. I suspect a recoil spring failure. Don't know. It will not roll up as normal.
I will remove it tomorrow and see what happened. I am certain parts are available. Will search tomorrow. Any comments appreciated.

LeRoy,

Check out ZipDee Awnings for a link to their website, then click on "Maintenance" and you will find the information similar to what John is talking about, plus more.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-09-2008

Thank you, I have it off and the guts are rolling around inside the tube. I will drill out the rivets tonight and see what happened. I will let you know.

Old 07-09-2008

The recoil spring failed because of latent moisture condensate over the years. In the process it yanked the control rod out of the camlock???The internal three footed gismo that holds the spring tight. For the life of me I cannot see how that thing would hold anything, but it does.
So far not big deal. Gotta order a part.

Old 07-10-2008

At least it sounds like an easy fix!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-10-2008

Yes, not much to it really. In all, when finished probably an hour of work. The replacement spring assembly is $110. I also found that one can purchase a new canvas to spec with one slat of the casing. Just remove two screws, slide the new slat and the attached canvas on to the old casing, slide the tube through the canvas and pop rivet it together. My main awning is faded so I will replace it this way in the near future. Supposedly, send them the serial number, they will make the awing complete with BB logo. I will have a price on that tomorrow I hope.
Thanks for the help.
I still cannot figure out how that contraption on the end of the spring assembly holds the spring tight. It just floats in the tube. It must get into a major bind somehow when the spring is tightened. See the picture.