Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-07-2011

I am very optimistic an acceptable replacement boot can be found. Considering the cost of a new joint, there are companies out there that will make anything out of rubber you want. They will of course want a minimum size order to recoup their set up time. But it sounds like that could be done. Give it a shot. Our GMC motorhome guys had Rubber motormounts custom made for engine swaps. A boot should be much easier, just takes a committment.

Phil Swanson
Old 11-08-2011

I have received my ball joints today. They are quite expensive 371.00 each. They come from Meritor and the part number is: 3280 D 9728. I will install them next spring since my coach is stored for the winter. Hope this help.

2004 M380
Old 11-08-2011

Andre,

Were those top or bottom joints. From the Spartan forum, the lower joints are much more expensive than the upper. This makes sense as the lower joints carry all the wheel load and are bigger. I will check with Fleet Pride next time I am in the area and see what price they give me.
Old 11-08-2011

Jim,

I don't know if it is the top or bottom one. I will try to check and see if I can help you. But I have to find first a diagram.

2004 M380
Old 11-08-2011

Andre, I'm waiting on a call from the folks at Meritor. Do you know if they are to OEM or if someone else makes the ball joints and boots for them? Perhaps you can take a bunch of photos of the replacement parts, record some dimensions, any ID numbers on the boxes or paper work so we can track down or have replacement boots made.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2011

Dan,

The ball joints came in a Meritor box. The part number from Meritor on the box is: 3280 D 9728. It has also a bar code with this number: 680502193297. Those ball joints are made in Italy.

Here is a picture of the ball joint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030003.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	528.1 KB
ID:	13266  

2004 M380
Old 11-08-2011
Forum owner

Ryan can make a mold and make those boots..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-08-2011

There is a company called Steele Rubber that makes anything automotive out of rubber. They will make them for you also. Suggest a bunch of M380 guys group order. They will make them at some cost based on quantity. The good part is once they make them, they will stock them. Somebody just needs to call them and coordinate the manufacturing of the boots.
It isn't Rocket Science!

Phil Swanson

Last edited by philipswanson; 11-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2011

Default replacing the M380 front suspension ball joint boots

I heard back from Meritor today. They confirmed that they have the ball joint assemblies made by another company and that they do not offer the boots for sale as a separate item. If we could track down the OEM, perhaps they'd sell us boots. The guy I talked to was in Troy, MI (I think). He said I'd have to talk to the Aftermarket Team at their Frankfort, KY Plant. He gave me the part numbers for the upper and lower ball joint assembly but they seem different from the one Andre has provided. It is too bad that the manual for this suspension doesn't include part numbers.

The Meritor guy (Les) I talked with today also told me that the upper ball joint assembly was set up in their system for resale but was not in stock and that the lower one has never been setup for resale. This doesn't sound too good for us M380 owners. I think Randy and Phil have the right idea.

Andre, the boot in your photo looks really different from what I see under my coach. Is it an upper or lower? My lower ball joint has a boot that is a black convoluted rubber bellows.

Can you pop the boot off your ball joint assembly and send me some OD, ID and length dimensions & more photos of the inner & outer surfaces? I'll get a 3D CAD model made so we can see about having a mold and new parts made.

Are you planning to change these out yourself or have a shop do the work? Looks like some special tools will be needed, the manual provides drawings to have them made on pages 40 to 43. They won't be inexpensive to have made so we M380 owners may want to add them to the list of setup items.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ArvinMeritorRIS16EFSuspension.pdf (1.54 MB, 359 views)
Old 11-09-2011

The light colored item on the joint shown, is a protective cover of hard plastic. It is provided on most of the ball joints that I have purchased. The boot is under this cover.