Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 09-07-2011

Default Shade Success

My shade structure for Burning Man was a very big success. The 70% Aluminet shade cloth was great and is very light and easy to handle even though it is 30' by 30'. The wind did not flap it very much and seemed to move through it. The coach stayed within a few degrees of the outside temperature at all times without using the AC. When we wanted to be inside the AC would pull the temperature down pretty quickly. By the time we went to bed at 10-12 the coach was cool.

We parked the coach with the door facing North and the ends facing east-west. I put the silver windscreen shade on the outside of the windshield. In the future I would include a 100% sunblock screen over the front and rear of the bus which would have kept the bus cool for another couple hours in the morning and keep it cool in the evening when the sun was hitting the end.

The poles holding the shade cloth up are military surplus aluminum poles with a top designed to hold the cloth. They are 4' long and fit together. I used 2 to make an 8-foot pole. I got these locally at an army surplus store.

Sorry for the bad pictures but I did not take my camera - the playa is hard on cameras.

This shows the pvc rigs and my furnace filter box over the Fantastic.

The front porch.

I put solar garden lights to illuminate the ropes and stakes at night.
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 07-20-2014

Old thread but just in case.. A solar shade for the windows is relatively easy if you can sew a little. Not that hard to replicate what this MagneShade is doing as a DIY project or just pony up a little money to them direct. Essentially the same as solar screens on your house but will follow the shape and curve of your window. This stops the heat BEFORE it gets into the coach. Obviously, any interior option is letting it in first then trying to mitigate it somewhat. Of course it stands to reason might be more effective if you stop it before it passes through the windows.

http://www.magneshade.com/ Builds this type of setup.

Ken - Austin, Texas -
'94 34' Safari Serengeti sold - Mom remarried @71 and they upgraded to a newer Coach w/Slides

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 07-31-2014

Default Heat

I've always wondered what it would do to the inside temp if you guys with goat rails would fix up some kind of system (that might be easy to remove) that would set things up like those Range Rovers in Africa. I think they are designed so a little breeze coming through that gap and no sun directly on the roof keeps things inside a lot cooler. Have to work around all those pesky things sticking up, but with the talent on this Forum, i figure someone can do it. That might be the impetus for me to put goat rails on my nicely streamlined BMC

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 07-31-2014

Default Heat

Also, we got this idea from John McGinnis, but we bought one of those relatively small squirrel cage fans (our is made by Stanley and was about $50 and is surprisingly powerful). We use it in the aisle in the middle of the bus in the bathroom and turn it from front to back depending on which way we want the air to go if we are only using one air conditioner.(like on 30 amp or at night when we only want the front one running because trying to sleep with the rear one on is a little loud). That has saved us quite a bit of money when the electricity is not included. So far the most we have ever had to pay for power is about $150/mo (in Florida during the winter and a couple of other times when we got caught in some 90-100 degree heat for a while)

If it's 100 degrees (like now in Colorado )I will run both air conditioners from late morning to evening to keep up, and then switch in the evening to the back air conditioner with the fan blowing forward, then switch to the front one with the fan blowing back when we go to bed. It's a pretty good system.
And that fan uses a whole lot less power than an air conditioner.

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 07-31-2014
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
Also, we got this idea from John McGinnis, but we bought one of those relatively small squirrel cage fans (our is made by Stanley and was about $50 and is surprisingly powerful). We use it in the aisle in the middle of the bus in the bathroom and turn it from front to back depending on which way we want the air to go if we are only using one air conditioner.(like on 30 amp or at night when we only want the front one running because trying to sleep with the rear one on is a little loud). That has saved us quite a bit of money when the electricity is not included. So far the most we have ever had to pay for power is about $150/mo (in Florida during the winter and a couple of other times when we got caught in some 90-100 degree heat for a while)

If it's 100 degrees (like now in Colorado )I will run both air conditioners from late morning to evening to keep up, and then switch in the evening to the back air conditioner with the fan blowing forward, then switch to the front one with the fan blowing back when we go to bed. It's a pretty good system.
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical > Interior ventilation fans

I do the same thing and get along with just one airconditioner up until 100 degrees ambient temperature;

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
The airport campground has 30 amp electric and water there is no dump station here, the daily fee is only $10.00 and I'm getting along just fine with one airconditioner and my Stanley Floor fan to help move the cool air around.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-31-2014

Default Heat

John,

I can't believe you and I are doing something the same Ha!

Just kidding. We hope you are doing well.

And that is the fan we are using too.

Best,

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 07-31-2014

Shade!!! Lee it is secret, but I will let it out. Those BIRDS with GOAT RAILS already have a cover. It is an invisable cover (like the dome on TV) that goes from side goat rail to the other. It Blocks all heat from the sun (but not energy for Solar cells). It also acts as an aerodynamic device to improve drag -- the reason for the mileage increase. It can be retrofitted but at great expense and effort -- that is why I am broke and tired. Now that you know, I think Randy could get you on wholesale.

If he can't, maybe KC's meds will make it so you don't care.
Old 07-31-2014
RV Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post

The fans are also great for keep the pesky flying bugs out of the coach as well. Just point it facing the door and it blows them away when you enter the coach, we learned that in Canada with the black flies & their national bird the 2 foot wingspan mosquito.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_