Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-23-2010

I thought it might be a misconnected or loose wire. Glad your got the problem solved; that always feels good.
Old 06-10-2015
Geek

Old thread, but I thought I would toss my bit in - retraction was a hit-or-miss thing on mine. Never knew if it would work or not. Chuck (PO) had told me that it would only retract if it was extended all the way, not if stopped part way; my experience was that it didn't matter, it retracted when it wanted to. I do not have the remote control, by the way, so just a momentary switch that is out-off-in-off-out.

I found that, when I removed the TV and had the switch such that the awning should be coming in, just toucing the control box caused it to work. There are three wires to the motor - white/ground, red/out, and black/in. In and out are labeled up and down, respectively. Wiggling the black wire would cause some failures, but it was not actually loose. I removed it and reinserted it (spring connector) and it now works whether I wiggle it or not. I would be more comfortable if it had been obviously loose, but at least I'm pretty sure the wire is the problem if it happens again.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-10-2015

Don, I fought my Girard awning's intermittent retraction problem for years. I repeatedly tighten loose connections and eventually removed the current limiter as recommended by the Girard tech without success. A few months ago I was working behind the TV, I noticed that just touching the receiver/control box or the plate where it was attached would cause the awing to retract under power, occasionally. I pulled the receiver/control box cover and found that touching some components resulted in the same performance. I pulled the PCB and discovered some corroded or cold soldered joints on the back side. I resoldered all and it has worked reliably ever sense.

By the way you can still purchase the remote controls. We found a distributor on the Internet.
Old 06-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan & Cindy View Post
Don, I fought my Girard awning's intermittent retraction problem for years. I repeatedly tighten loose connections and eventually removed the current limiter as recommended by the Girard tech without success. A few months ago I was working behind the TV, I noticed that just touching the receiver/control box or the plate where it was attached would cause the awing to retract under power, occasionally. I pulled the receiver/control box cover and found that touching some components resulted in the same performance. I pulled the PCB and discovered some corroded or cold soldered joints on the back side. I resoldered all and it has worked reliably ever sense.

By the way you can still purchase the remote controls. We found a distributor on the Internet.

...and that would be....? I could use that, if they are the same as in the '00.
Old 06-11-2015

Do you guys have problems with your wind sensor? At Q this year with wind howling noticed birdie up top making loud "bad bearing" noise. Since I will never go off and leave the awning out, fix was to remove the spinner. Any harm in leaving it like that or should I replace the sending unit?
Old 06-11-2015

My anemometer has been hit so many times it doesn't work. The maker, SOMFI, does not support it; later units used a Gerard unit which includes the remote and a new controller for over $800. Since I too would not leave the awning out when gone, I just cut off the anemometer and use the manual switch. I always like to have everything working, but sometimes the added features are more useful to marketing than useful to the owner.
Old 06-11-2015

$800! Question answered. Thanks Ron
Old 06-11-2015

Default replacement Somfy remotes for Girard Awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
...and that would be....? I could use that, if they are the same as in the '00.
My M380's Girard powered awning uses a Somfy Telis 1 single channel remote control. We found a replacement at a local dealer using the OEM website http://www.somfysystems.com/where-to-buy .

A quick Google search shows there are lots of sellers offering the remotes at prices as low as $45.
Old 06-11-2015
Geek

So convince me that a remote is something I would use very often? I'm not sure what the advantage is, over walking a few steps and hitting the button...
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-11-2015

Default replacement anenometers for Girard awning automatic retract controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
Do you guys have problems with your wind sensor? At Q this year with wind howling noticed birdie up top making loud "bad bearing" noise. Since I will never go off and leave the awning out, fix was to remove the spinner. Any harm in leaving it like that or should I replace the sending unit?

I don't think you will have any problems leaving the spinner off. If you decide that you want to fix it, you can purchase the anemometer portion directly from Girard for about $125. I have encountered low tree limbs on multiple occasions that are tougher than the plastic windmill. Over the years I have purchased two replacements. FYI I didn't pull new wires the first time, just spliced and insulated/sealed with heat shrink tubing.

After the last failure I took a few drastic steps and build a new stainless steel mount and guard. Seems to be working fine but I have not tested it against a large limb. Let me know if anyone is interested in a similar set up, and will get updated pricing from the company that made mine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf photo 1.1.pdf (315.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: pdf photo 1.2.pdf (390.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: pdf photo 1.3.pdf (1,009.6 KB, 97 views)