Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 09-19-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default US Passport and Passport Card

While visiting with Randy and Carol Dupree last night when they passed through the area, we talked about getting our Passports before we went to the "Q" Rally, so that we could make a day trip into Mexico. I have already started the process and I had to get a better Certified Stamped Birth Certificate than the old one that I already had, so hopefully I will have everything in order by next week so I can go down to the main Post Office in Columbia to get my Passport Card.

For more information on obtaining a US Passport or Passport Card go to;
http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Here is an article that may apply to some forum members as an alternative.

Quote:
http://rvingcanada.rvtravel.com/2009...-passport.html

RVing Canada

Whether you are an American RVer headed into Canada or a Canadian traveling in your own country, you will find a wealth of information in this blog. Be sure to check back often for the latest news and information.

Sunday, August 30, 2009
Getting to Canada without a passport--Washington style

As most know, you can't get back into the United States from out of country without the proper paperwork. From Canada or Mexico through a land-crossing you'll need a passport or a Passcard. But wait! There's yet another alternative--an Enhanced Driver's License or ID. Issued by individual states following the dictates of the Federal Homeland Security Department, these "new and improved" driver licenses and ID cards will let you back into the states, and they're usually easier (and less expensive) to obtain than a PASScard or passport. For RVers, they may be just the alternative you want.

As Washington residents, we decided to go the "EDL" route, as the cost of a federally issued PASScard is $45 (for the initial issue--and $20 to renew), while a Washington EDL is only $15 above the "normal" rate for a driver license. Another "plus" is that instead of waiting for several weeks for your application to be processed, you can walk in to most Driver License Exam Stations and walk out with your new "temporary" EDL, and have the permanent card in hand within a few days.

There's a few caveats: For men, the application process for an EDL is fairly straight-forward. Bring your current driver license, a certified copy of your birth certificate, and proof of address (utility bill, pay stub, etc), fill out the application, go through a quick interview, and you're ready for a photo. For women, if you've gone through the process of a name change, it gets a bit more complicated. Add a divorce and a remarriage, and things could get really messy.

Here's an example:
One woman wanted to apply for an enhanced license, so she called in to ask for details on proving her identity. She'd been born in California, married in Washington, subsequently divorced, and had remarried. After the lengthy wait on the phone to Olympia, she was told she'd need her birth certificate, original marriage certificate, divorce decree, and the marriage certificate for her current marriage--all of which needed to be "certified" with an official state seal. After spending a number of hours running from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, she presented herself to the driver license station, only to be told she simply needed the birth certificate and current driver license. Apparently too many folks complained about the paper chase issue, and the state had seen fit to "relax" their standards--days after she'd called and got the information that led to the chase.

So under the most recent "incarnation" of bureaucratic direction: If you're planning on getting a Washington EDL, plan on spending up to two hours in the office from start to finish. Be sure the license station of your choice doesn't require and appointment--if it does, it may take a couple of weeks to get an appointment. You DON'T have to go to the station near your home address, you can get an EDL in any station in Washington.
Once at the station, you may have to "take a number and wait." Be sure to get the RIGHT number, as EDL applicants must see only certain representatives. When it's your turn you'll be asked to provide all your paperwork, and spend a few minutes with a representative. You'll then wait for your interview--which is essentially verbally answering the same questions you filled out your application: Names of your parents, where they were born, where you were born, and information of that nature. And hey, if you don't know just where your parents were born, just tell the first representative up front. After the interview, you'll be photographed and handed your temporary EDL.

You should be aware that the EDL does contain a computer tag that can be "read" at a distance by a computer scanner. The scanner is able to read only an individual ID number, not your name or personal information. Still, some folks are concerned about what they view to be a personal security issue. Your new driver license is provided with a "scan proof" slip envelope that theoretically prevents the license from being scanned when inside it. One other issue: Your photograph will be taken without your eyeglasses on your face. This allows the system to build a biometric profile based on your facial characteristics, for example, measuring items like your eye sockets, cheek bones, and the sides of your mouth. The state says this will help prevent identity theft. Just don't let anybody rip off your dentures!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-21-2009

John- Thanks for the inspiration. We've been meanin' to get ours for the past 4 years since getting the bird. We filled out the applications on-line last night, went to AAA for our pictures today (free for AAA plus members) and then to the post office for the "final step". We had stamped/sealed birth certificates from the State of PA and current driver's licenses. That's all we needed for ID. Cost was $120 each- $95 to the Dept. of State and $25 to the post office for processing the applications. Post office gent told us 4 to 6 weeks until they come in the mail and they are good for 10 years. GIT-R-DONE!!!

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 09-22-2009

John and Randy,
I would be happy to show you the path to get to Algodoynes, Mexico on our trip to Q. Last time we went we had a great time down there. I will even buy you guys a Maragarita!
2000 LXI "Fort R #5"
Fort Worth, Tx gardendoc@aol.com
Old 09-22-2009
Forum owner

Rick,since John does not drink,i'll take his margarita when we go!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-22-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Rick,since John does not drink,i'll take his margarita when we go!
I'll drink a soft one..........................Coke or Pepsi

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-22-2009
Tommy Two Shoes

Randy, why don't you and I buy John a margarita from each of us every round and drink them for him. That way my right bicep won't get enlarged compared to my left! Equal lifting works for me.

On a serious note, the mood across the border from San Diego is very tense with the corrupt police and drug lords killing the good police and adversaries (competition) every day. Kidnappings of Americans are way up in occurences. Wiser people never go across any more. I would check with the Border Patrol as to what activities are happening in the towns we want to visit just as a precaution. I have my SIG but am not sure about concealed carry into Mexico. However, if I felt that it would be needed, why would we go?

Tommy 'Two Shoes' McCarthy

GoneAway
2006 M450LXI
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe in the Carson Valley
Old 09-22-2009

Tommy,

CC is not good south of the border. If you get caught, we won't see you for a LONG time. Though CC is what should be allowed. We wouldn't get messed with anywhere near as much if they had to wonder if we were armed or not. CC always makes the crooks think a little before they act.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcandt View Post
Randy, why don't you and I buy John a margarita from each of us every round and drink them for him. That way my right bicep won't get enlarged compared to my left! Equal lifting works for me.

On a serious note, the mood across the border from San Diego is very tense with the corrupt police and drug lords killing the good police and adversaries (competition) every day. Kidnappings of Americans are way up in occurences. Wiser people never go across any more. I would check with the Border Patrol as to what activities are happening in the towns we want to visit just as a precaution. I have my SIG but am not sure about concealed carry into Mexico. However, if I felt that it would be needed, why would we go?
Tommy, thank your for your post...In planning motorcycle rides for "Q" 2010 I originally had Algodonas as a stop..but deleted it because I'm finding the same info. as you state. However, a friend says it's not a problem for Algodonas. He drivers his SUV to the US border parking area, off loads his bicycle and rides it into Mexico...upon return to the US he says he rides his bicycle right up to the front of the vehicle lines and gets across in a few minutes...Pedestrian boarder walk thru takes a couple hours according to him.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 09-23-2009
Tommy Two Shoes

After I wrote my response, there was a newsflash on the TV about the shooting of 5 at the San Ysidro border crossing where a gunfight between two cars started as they tried to run the border crossing. One van escaped into Mexico. If they would only keep it on their side...

Tommy 'Two Shoes' McCarthy

GoneAway
2006 M450LXI
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe in the Carson Valley