Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 09-01-2015
Administrator

Only the attorney will notice after an accident.
Old 09-01-2015

Double ditto on that setup, same as I use to tow my Suburban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Ditto- Have used this system for 11 years. Can't say enough good about it. Easy setup, easy transfer between different vehicles.

Mike, Justin, and Ryan Evans
Richland, MI
www.companyfixers.com
1985 PT36 formerly known as "The Pine Mountain Express"
2005 Chevrolet Suburban SuperToad with Blue Ox baseplate and Aventa LX towbar, Brake Buddy
Old 09-01-2015

Tommy, Martha must be the luckiest lady in the whole world, you bought her such a beautiful new truck. What a nice guy!

My 2 cents on the auxiliary brake. As you know I have the Stealth system. Stealth has a range of 10 brake settings. I have mine at # 3 which provides minimal (if any) assisted braking from the toad. The reason I bought the system was in case the toad breaks away. If that happened I wanted all 4 tires locked up and to get that toad stopped ASAP. If we had Class C's or 20,000# Class A's I could see how the toad could help your braking. But when your coach is approaching or in excess of 25 tons how much help is the toads brakes going to give and how long will the brakes last on the toad if it is always helping? I feel that the #3 setting is good enough for normal travel but will help in emergency situations. On the other hand it's impossible to quantify the perfect Stealth setting since you are the engineer if the train way up front and the toad is way back there. BTW my toad is 3600 pounds. So . . . After making a short story long I think you will be OK but you will gain a piece of mind once the entire system is installed.
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Old 09-01-2015

Thanks, Alan;

I can't decide between the stealth or the brake buddy. But as you say, how much brake does it take to "help" a 50 K lb vehicle stop, slow down or assist?

I do worry about a toad coming loose and while it would be unlikely it would become a driverless vehicle careening down the road, I don't want any damage either to the toad or my bird. I did have a Blue Ox tow system that suffered a broken "arm" a while back. Luckily I was only traveling about 25-30 MPH and just minor damage to my bumper. My little Honda CRV only weighed 2200 lbs. The new pickup weighs 6600 lbs. (it is a beautiful vehicle BTW - pickups have come a long way since my 1950 Ford PU).

I think I'll quit obsessing, just take it easy and pull the new toad without brakes to CoachCraft - 140 miles and no long down grades. Get John Boy and 'em put in the Brake Buddy or the Stealth.

Tell Yankee Doodle Poodle that when we get to WOG, I'll have an ample supply of Nathan's Hotdogs for him .
Old 09-01-2015

Another thing I did was I mountef the control panel inside my battery compartment. Many may want it mounted inside the coach where they have access but this location precluded me from running wires and securing them 41+' from the rear of the coach to the dashboard. It just didn't sound like a fun job. I'm not going to be able to adjust the braking all the time but as I stated earlier it's just going to stay at setting #3 probably forever. However if I was doing done mountain driving and decided I should increase the braking power it is mounted where it is easily accessible in that compartment.
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com