Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 06-11-2016

I'm in the market for a brake system myself and like the concept of the ReadyBrake in combination with my recenty purchased Roadmaster Sterling tow bar pulling a 2001 Range Rover (~5,000 lbs.). My only issue is what happens to the braking force when in a corner. It seems to me that the force vectors (sorry, engineer speak) would be wrong and not allow for good braking in a corner, where some of the other proportional brakes would still apply in a corner. On the other hand, I've never noticed a problem with the surge brakes on my boats, and the Readybrake is just a mechanical surge break so what am I worried about. Anybody have any experience with this?
'86 PT38 "Eagle's Rest"
'82 FC35 (sold)
Old 06-11-2016

I think any corner severe enough to cause the lateral load your talking about would have to be at a very slow speed where the extra breaking isn't important.
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 06-11-2016

Smile

Thanks for the reply. Under "normal" driving conditions I believe as you do and the difference in brake systems just doesn't matter much. But what I'm concerned about is emergency stopping. How many videos have we seen of accidents where the towed load (boat, trailer, toad, whatever) begins to jack-knife as the driver attempts to avoid a collision and ends up losing the load or losing control at highway speed. That is where you need the most braking on the toad, and that is when it seems braking might lessen with a surge based system. Or an angular acceleration based system for that matter. Just trying to think it thru worst case, realizing that my currently available toad is not exactly light. When I had a 34ft, 9,000 lb. Avion trailer I studied alot of braking discussions on trailer forums, to include articles by accident investigators. Braking in corners at speed was always an issue. We have the same issues with our toads, just tamed quite a bit by the weight of the tow vehicle versus the towed vehicle.
'86 PT38 "Eagle's Rest"
'82 FC35 (sold)
Old 06-12-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

The cable system may work fine, never had one. But I had friend who did and he had trouble keeping it adjusted. They may have improved it since his.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com