Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 01-05-2019

Default Pt 38 tranny hose

While on a maiden voyage from Mexico to Tucson we stopped at a Mexican truck stop. I was doing a walk about and the back of the Bird and my truck were covered with oil. There was apuddle underneath. I crawled under and oil was coming from one of the trany cooler hoses. Covered with. Plastic loom. I forgot my coveralls at home but went to my toolbox and the largest wrench was 1.125. That hise needed at least 1.5!. I don't carry a pipe wrench
It was new year's Eve and in Mexico everything is shut down between Xmas and New year's. In the morning the toll road free road service got me a mechanic.. he removed the hisebutno hydraulic shops were open. Next day by 2 pmhe returned with a new hose. However they did not have the flared fittings for each end. They swedged plain fittings on the ends and brazed my old fittings to the new ones. Nice brazing. But I am worried it won't last. I wanted them to be tig welded but this is Mexico. No tight within 100 miles. I am wondering if I should just remove the hose when we return to Mexico and either find a shop with the fittings or take these to Tucson. Any thoughts from welding pros? Thanks I might add that the hose didn't fail. It was rubbing against something and after may year's wore a small hole in the hose.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II

Last edited by Bruce; 01-05-2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Spell
Old 01-05-2019
Forum owner

I would get somewhere and change the hose.
Its not that i don't trust the welding,its that i don't trust the metal (fittings) that they are welding too.
I tried heating a fitting once to bend it slightly,it cracked.
I just don't know how the heat will affect it long term.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-06-2019

I vote for new custom made hoses from NAPA or some other place that makes hoses onsite to your needs and specifications. I had it done for my BMC after having almost exactly the same issue up in Amarillo on a Saturday evening. The hose rubbed a hole where it ran around the tranny case corner up to the oil cooler. Luckily, it is pretty low pressure and didn’t puke out all the fluid and ruin the tranny.

New hoses are not real expensive and you’re assured of new and reliable components. That’s worth a lot of peace of mind.

Brazing is acceptable for joining metals but it’s not very strong. TIG is much better but at this point it would probably be better to just have new hoses made. The old fittings have been compromised and contaminated with the brass. I don’t think cleaning the brass off and then trying to TIG would work.

In big metropolitan areas, there are even service trucks that will come to you, take off the old hose, make a new one right where you are, and put it on. I’m sure it would be more than taking your old hose to NAPA but how much is your time worth and can you do the work yourself

Max.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift

Last edited by max hendrix; 01-06-2019 at 02:04 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 01-06-2019

Thanks. I suspected it would not be permanent. I only have to drive about 600 miles to be home. Will chance it.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II