Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 02-19-2019

Default Jeeps Suck unless you like repairing your Toad...

I've owned a 99 Grand Cherokee. In the family since brand new. Replaced most stuff under warranty in the first 60K. Lots of stuff since. You literally could not give me any Jeep on a Friday and still have me owning it by Sunday evening. So when I was looking for a tow car the idea of having to use a Jeep to have an automatic 4x4 toad SUV hurt me in my heart. I'm being dead serious. So I spent 4 months seriously looking at used Jeeps. Which is fun because every recommendation comes with a LIST of stuff to replace and repair when you buy one. Or else. Awesome right?

I'm going to tell you there is a better TOAD. There is. And it's reliable with a proven drivetrain. Similar pricing. Manual lever to activate a true mechanical Neutral in the transfer case, just like the jeep.

I waited to make sure I was right. Wanted to give it some time to be sure before I made this post on here. To give some hope to those like me who have been savagely burned by Jeep in the past and will never own another. There is hope...

The answer you are seeking is a 2003-2009 Lexus GX470. Which is really just a fancier Toyota 4 runner.
Old 02-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BachelorJack View Post
I've owned a 99 Grand Cherokee.

There's your problem right there! Not that the frames on the wranglers last, but the GC is a big 'ole hunk u' junk, and well known too! This is what happens when chrysler oversteps themselves.

Instagram
Old 02-19-2019

I second your recommendation and will add one in the same family.
I have a 1999 toyota Land Cruiser for the last 18 or 19 years. Called 100 series, made from 1998 until 2006 or 2007, same generation.
It is an absolute beast offroad or in the snow. Both center and rear diff lock via switches.

And tows on all 4s with transfer case in neutral. Has manual high, neutral and low on transfer case.
We have 270k miles on ours with zero major problems. Power antenna has failed twice, radiator tank split, that's it.
Other than that... I've serviced it: replaced valve cover gaskets, plugs, timing belt, air filter, tires, brakes, engine and trans services, and diff / transfer case oil, batteries, replaced some rubber hoses.

Burns zero oil between changes and runs extremely clean at smog intervals.

I would not hesitate to drive this anywhere, as is.

Only downside to this toad is it is heavy. But heavy probably is why it LASTS. I'm guessing 6k lbs.
Ex-PT36
Old 02-20-2019

Doesn't Toyota say no to four down towing?

I've towed my 2016 f150 probably close to 4000 miles since June. The truck weighs 4700 pounds (aluminum) and I get a 6.5 storage pod. It helps that I already had the truck when I bought the bus. For my money it can't be beat.
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Old 02-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4rrx View Post
Doesn't Toyota say no to four down towing?

I've towed my 2016 f150 probably close to 4000 miles since June. The truck weighs 4700 pounds (aluminum) and I get a 6.5 storage pod. It helps that I already had the truck when I bought the bus. For my money it can't be beat.
Chris - I researched. can't remember what the official word is. But, I've towed for 3 or 4 thousand miles. I use blue ox yoke. blue ox yoke adapters for Land Cruiser. The fact that the adapters exist suggest it is standard / acceptable practice.

The first time I did it. Trans in park. Key unlocked. transfer case in neutral.

I stopped every few miles and then gradually increased the increment to shoot the transfer case with an IR temp gun. Never saw temps over 90F or 100F.

I remember reading about another who had towed his cruiser many thousands of miles.

Your aluminum truck sounds great. For the price and reliability, these cruisers can't be beat.
Ex-PT36
Old 02-20-2019

What state do they make those Lexus Toyota vehicles in?
Old 02-20-2019

I towed two Grand Cherokees tens of thousands of miles. The 2014 is terrific; I'd have no other. Easy to switch into towing, and no issues. The 2006 was also a good toad; the only problem there was a software issue which has probably been resolved years ago. It towed as well as any.
Old 02-20-2019

2nd Liberty. No problems.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-20-2019
Just the Driver

3rd Wrangler..no problems

Bryan and Karen Altier
2006 M450 LXI. “Ruffin it EZ II”
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock