Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 11-13-2014

Like the bladder idea...easy to store when empty.
When I lived in bus a year on an equip watch job way up n off the grid, (not bringing the bus off the mountain, tho moving locations on the mountain). I purchased a 55 gal potable plastic drum which I put in my pickup when I went down for supplies. Like curt, used an extra rv water pump ( the old parr pump) that was in the bus, hose from tank to pump to bus...worked great.
Also have a blue boy to empty tanks when needed. I was told to discreetly dig a hole and dump in the hole. No problem with a blue boy, and I don't flush t paper so tanks didn't fill as fast.
Since I was up there so long thru the winter, when I ran out of propane I got a buddy adapter so I could use portable propane tanks to operate the stove, frig n furnace. I actually took a 20 gal tank up as often I was a month or more in one camp spot.
Course traveling wouldn't need that, (propane adaptor) but the bladder is a great idea, didn't know they made them that large. The way to go to dry camp and not have to move if you like your spot!

Rose Mary
82 turbo FC 35
JP's White Bird
SW Oregon
Old 11-13-2014

Living on a boat at anchor is similar ti boondocking. We used every trick we could think of to conserve water.

When boiling pasta, throw a few eggs in the pot. You get boiled eggs with no extra water. We used similar techniques as described for using dish water to flush, etc.

Always use angel hair pasta, it cooks faster, using less energy. Also use as little water in the pan that you can get by with.

We carried condiment packages we would get at Sam's Club. Ketchup, mustard, mayo and pickle relish. No refrigeration needed. Canned chicken works for lots of stuff. 1 large can of chicken, 7 packs of mayo, 2 packs of pickle relish...instant chicken salad.

I'll try to think of more.
Old 11-13-2014
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
Thanks! They do, and I've tried them but the fixtures in our 86 have a narrow opening the bulb plugs into. The philips have a collar that sticks out just after the base that will not fit into the fixture. Just wish someone made an LED bulb that has the same dimensions as the old style filament 1156.
Todd, Neutek has a new bulb that matches what you are looking for. They are the ones that manufacture the all copper LED replacement for our bullet (air-craft style) indoor fixtures. The new bulbs have frosted lenses so you cannot see the LEDs. I'm in process of getting specs and costs.

As far as solar I have many solar solutions that I will also post soon. Just put 900 watts on my bus for under $2,000 and that includes the mounting hardware, three 300 watt panels, a Midnight 150 Classic MPPT controller, and Unistrut hardware. All top of the line material. I have kits now all the way down to 100 watts.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 11-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
Old thread, but I have a boondocking questions I'm hoping someone may be able to answer. We can make it about 10 days but run out of water before we fill the waste tanks. I am trying to figure out a way to add fresh water without moving the beast from sweet spots in the southwest. Anyone have a setup where the can pump fresh water into the tank? What do you use?

If I can figure out how to add water we can go a lot longer then 9-10 days. We do not employ some of these water conservation tips because I too got the beast so we could live in a motorhome and not tent camp! I do want my cake and eat it too!!!
My solution was to add an aux. water tank in a bay on the water inlet side of the coach. Aux tank holds 29 gallons. I carry a small electric pump and using the water fill hoses I can pump from the aux tank direct into the fresh water inlet - if and when needed.
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 11-13-2014

[QUOTE=KingBiscuit;276224]Living on a boat at anchor is similar ti boondocking. We used every trick we could think of to conserve water.

When boiling pasta, throw a few eggs in the pot. You get boiled eggs with no extra water. We used similar techniques as described for using dish water to flush, etc.

Always use angel hair pasta, it cooks faster, using less energy. Also use as little water in the pan that you can get by with.

We carried condiment packages we would get at Sam's Club. Ketchup, mustard, mayo and pickle relish. No refrigeration needed. Canned chicken works for lots of stuff. 1 large can of chicken, 7 packs of mayo, 2 packs of pickle relish...instant chicken salad.

I'll try to think of more.[/QUOT

Dan
Some great ideas, putting eggs in boiling pasta h2o, and the condiment thing..., our old dometic sometimes got the mayo too cold an it separates or on some especially hot days in a row, or parked wrong w sun-- how long r u comfortable with a jar of mayo in the frig a bit on the warm side.. plus frees frig space. Like those ideas

Rose Mary
82 turbo FC 35
JP's White Bird
SW Oregon

Last edited by Rose Mary; 11-13-2014 at 10:52 PM. Reason: irritating auto correct is a pita
Old 11-13-2014

Found some 1156 style LED bulbs for the aircraft swivel lights in my FC. So far they have worked out great, no elements have quit working. Look at this site www.MiniInTheBox.com they have many LED's.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 11-14-2014

This tip is probably TMI and was just something I did, I don't think Mel did this. If we were away from the boat, just before we would head back, I'd try to find a public restroom and do my business. This helps stretch the time between holding tank dumps. Boats have much less tank capacity than birds....at least ours did.
Old 11-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBiscuit View Post
This tip is probably TMI and was just something I did, I don't think Mel did this. If we were away from the boat, just before we would head back, I'd try to find a public restroom and do my business. This helps stretch the time between holding tank dumps. Boats have much less tank capacity than birds....at least ours did.
Conducting private business in a public facility
Does the IRS know about this
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 11-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSS View Post
Conducting private business in a public facility
Does the IRS know about this
No deposit, no return!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee