Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 11-30-2009

David,

Try the cold water--cat litter jug trick. "Free" water- -requires very little coordination!
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".
Old 11-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin41bb View Post
David,

Try the cold water--cat litter jug trick. "Free" water- -requires very little coordination!

Well...Maybe. I AM getting pretty good at it though.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 11-30-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
The "torpedo" thing was one I hadn't heard of but we have/do use most of the other ideas.

How about the "Stink Pickle" (Larry the Cable Guy) or "Drop the kids off at the pool", I can't take credit for that one either and I ain't saying who can, but we all know the source.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-30-2009
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Oh man, I don't think I'm up to this one. Good suggestions but a little too much detail for my tastes. I can just see my instructions to the little woman about torpedos and such. This is going to have to be put off to some one else.

You know Randy I haven't forgotten you were going to give driving lessons at Maxton and never got around to it. A seminar on water consumption my be in order too. I can just see my wife's reaction to this. "You mean you want me to WHAT!!!" Frankly I'll unhook and drive the 25 miles to dump the tanks before I am going to even go there.

I have trouble getting her up in the morning in a good mood.
Heck-man,I'll be glad to teach you how to drive,anytime your ready!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-30-2009

I can just see my wife's reaction to this. "You mean you want me to WHAT!!!" Frankly I'll unhook and drive the 25 miles to dump the tanks before I am going to even go there.

I have trouble getting her up in the morning in a good mood.

Yup, didn't get a 'bird to do the freekin' green peace thing.
We routinely fill and dump weekly, in the bird or the toter.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 12-01-2009

Default Litterpan in the shower

While I hope to rectify the situation sooner rather than later, I have no experience owing a Bluebird. I do, however, have extensive experience with wives.

There’s no doubt about it. If I told my wife she had to shower with a cat litter pan or hold something open with her foot while she was sitting on the commode she would simply tell me “thanks, have a good trip.” She is perfectly comfortable traveling in our old Cadillac, stopping for restroom breaks at rest stops and sleeping in hotels.

I’ve already lied to her and told her that we would never have to dump the tanks or worry about running out of water. That, I’ve told her, is included in the “lifetime support” provided by Bluebird. Tires too, and they get 20 mpg!

I’ll eventually get around to telling her that the factory is closed.

I’m going to Hell…I just know it.
Old 12-01-2009

I fellow has to know his limits. I've been married to my lovely wife (no pun in tended at all on that one) for thirty eight years and that doesn't happen without some thought and effort.

I love my BB because I can work around my "issues". I can toss her on the bed in the back (pun IS intended there) and drive my little hoofies to the the quick. In the Bella she can sleep, we tried that one in the Napper (the old springer that Suska calls The Good Goin Inn) and that didn't work too well. Single beds only and rather narrow at that so that any significant bounce would just about send you flying one direction or the other. Ethel said it was pretty hard to sleep with a death grip on both sides of the mattress. But this just gave me leverage to buy the Bella which I wanted anyways.

But there are compromises in this. We made a rule that each of us could only "complain" a total of 15 minutes each day. You can take it in five minute spots or take your entire 15 at one time but only 15 minutes total each day.. This is a better suggestion then water conservation trust me. You can't walk away in a motor home like you do at home.

I have also learned to give her space. When she finally gets up in the morning I leave the coach so she can do her thing (what ever it is they do in the morning) and I come back later when the coast is clear.
I never ask leading questions like "How did you sleep?" Especially the first night out. Or "what are you planning for dinner?" If it happens it happens and if it doesn't we stop at a restaurant.

I try not to get "pissed off" at the traffic or get up set if she makes a mistake giving directions (but I admit I've have done that a time or two) And that really helps a lot. I am lost or turned around heading the wrong way. My wife is over their sniffling and mad at me for not being understanding. For the life of me I can't figure out how a woman can get turn right and turn left mixed up. Pretty soon I am going to ask her to point and grunt.

The very best part of traveling in a BB is going with other people. Seems like all the tensions melt away when we have our "friends" to stop and enjoy the experience with.

We are so fortunate indeed.

Randy, I certainly could have used you when I first started off. I fear the bad habits are engrained too deeply now. Ethel will not drive the Bella and here is another place that a fellow has to know his limitations. There is no way I could ride in the co-pilots set with her driving my problem not hers. Just couldn't do it.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 12-01-2009

One of my biggest selling points to my Bride was convenience. Staying in our BB is not camping. To back up now and add restrictions and require learned skills as descried above will not happen. I'm still having to explain how we will not be able to use the Genny at Quartzsite.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-01-2009

Default Boondocking

Sometime you guys remind me to tell you how, when things get tough, Boat Sex (ever been on a charter trip where you can't get off?) applies just as well in Blue Birds.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 12-01-2009
Gardner

Rick,

Perhaps there is a way to change part of the lie into the truth. What you need is a crapalytic converter. It feeds the black tank fluids into the exhaust and burns it up as you travel. It also helps to discourage those pesky tailgaters.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey