Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 09-19-2011

Default cash in Tennessee!!

Unbelievable!

Be aware!

Welcome to the People's Republik of Tennessee. Speaking of traffic stops, what is going on in Tennessee? And what ever happened to, "No sir you may not search my vehicle without a warrant." Check this story out.
What do they consider large sums? Before you know it they will consider a few thousand dollars a huge amount and start taking people's vacation cash.

http://www.copblock.org/4480/highway...-in-tennessee/

Ed & Carolyn Nowokunski
95BMC37 - Thunderchief
The Great Outdoors (TGO)
Titusville, Florida
Old 09-19-2011

At the risk of being moderated I would say that is "transformation" taking place, dont forget to vote!
Cape Cod,ma
Old 09-19-2011

I'm all for them shaking down the scumbag drug dealers. If they don't get their cash in Mexico, they can't fund the destruction of their and our economy.

Then again, I'm not in the habit of transporting tens of thousands in cash in airtight wrap across state and international borders. If they want to shake me down for the $20 - $30 bucks I have in my pocket, whatever.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 09-19-2011

I have seen a similiar "example" that was done here(in another parish), in La., in the late '80s. I was "supposed" to be trained on "profiling" drug vehicles in this Parish, by two deputies, and bring the info back so we could use it, but...... to make along story short, those two deputies are now behind bars for not following the letter of the law, among other things.
Old 09-19-2011
Slow Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
dont forget to vote!
X2!!
2007 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
Old 09-19-2011

Might be time to moderate me a bit...i question if any of this belongs on WOG but I'll say it anyway:

I have to admit I cannot understand the frustration of someone who gets a few hundred thousand in cash wrapped in plastic hidden in the gas tank of their car...seized by the PO-PO...Likely because it never happens to me...the only time I've come across that type of money the jokers who had it could'nt explain how they got it, who it belonged to, or anything about it! Funny, you run their SSN and they ain't had a job in like EVER. IT'S "JUST THERE" LIKE MAGIC...MAN-WHY DOESNT THIS HAPPEN TO ME? MAKES ME THINK ALSO...WHY AFTER ALL THE POSTS ON ALL THE FORUMS ABOUT OPENING A LOCKED SAFE, NO BODY EVER SAYS...WOW, I FOUND $100,000 IN THERE, LETS HAVE A RALLY! MAYBE NEXT TIME I CLOSE ON A HOUSE I'LL ASK FOR MY FUNDS IN STACKS OF 100'S WRAPPED IN PLASTIC AND DRIVE IT HOME UNDER THE REAR SEAT OF MY CAR....BETTER YET, I'LL GET A GUY I HARDLY KNOW TO RENT A CAR, STUFF THE MONEY IN A REAR SEAT, AND DRIVE IT TO MY HOUSE...YEA, THAT THE WAY TO DO IT...AND THEN I'LL PUT IT IN A SHOEBOX AND HIDE IT IN MY ATTIC UNDER THE INSULATION (while I'm ranting...you know how many hundred dollar bills fit into a shoebox? I'll tell you later)

There might be another side to this issue...and I'll proffer it:

First: there are many criminal enterprises that result in massive cash intake drugs are only one, but also think of gambiling, sumggling cigs/alcohol (almost anything taxed high in one state and low somewhere else), auto theft (not the typical steal and strip or steal and joy ride...the ones where your 50K Benz is taken tonight and in a shipping container tomorrow headed to Mexico or the Mideast. All these are well organized, well financed and well led operations...dummies dont run these crews.

Second: it's IS all about the money. It is why the crook is in the business. Most of the mopes actually caught are the underlings...you never get the top layer unless you invest YEARS in investigation using thousands of hours of manpower and hundreds of thousands of dollars of personnel and technology costs. Yes, back in the day I wanted the top dog...but we often came up short...SO, I'd rather get some underlings AND the $$$, the houses and the cars than just the low level losers anyday.

Third: Yes, a sometimes used approach is to "look for and get the money". You grab a cash courier and "seize the benjamins", belive me, they figure out real quick that they often only have two options...inform OR get cut loose and run for their lives. Sound like a nasty sort of business...your right, it is. There are times when the "Andy Taylor, Sheriff of Mayberry" fits the need, and other times an other sort of mindset is needed. This type of aggressive asset forfeiture investigative approach has made some great cases...and has led to abuses...which should be investigated and dealt with on a case by case basis. Perfect system? Nope...what is? That is why it is a two step process the Police "seize"...and a court "orders the forfieture".

Since we just had the 9-11 anniversary...I'll make one observation about the $$$:

my former departments helicopter unit has provided LE air support and critical medivac services to a urban county with a population of over 1.1 million since about 1985 Remember 9-11...look at the photos of the Pentagon medivac pad...one of our birds and crew are there. This program was started and continues to be funded in part by seized assets. A program that does not provide any direct monetary reward for anyone in the agency...but does make the jurisdiction safer and saves lives.

A good asset seizure program CAN be a good thing. It CAN be a bad thing also...there are two sides to the issue.

And as far as the shoebox...you can fit about $340,000 nice, neat and tight into a shoebox with 100.00 bills.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 09-20-2011

Call me a Good Ole boy but I agree with profiling for Drug dealers; but not for shaking people down for cash to support their agencies as this piece suggests. If they had stopped Families or Seniors then I would be outraged. If they shook down every RV driving thru especialy Bluebirds then i would write my Congressman, called a TV station, gotten on the phoneor computor with y'all. And If they were actively seeking the drugs; why were'nt they searching for that rather then money. These are Highway Troopers, not FBI searching the money trail for Al Capone. Come on let's get real..
Old 09-20-2011

I guess I'm old fashioned, I still believe in "do process". I wonder what other legal items will be unreasonable to possess?
Cape Cod,ma
Old 09-20-2011

It's and ugly world we live in. I can see both sides of this. If you want the drug and crime problems solved you have to decide what "tools" the cops have at their disposal. Can't have it both ways unfortunately. It's a war out there and just like in a war innocent people suffer. I have my opinion as to what's reasonable and others have theirs. The real problem is there is no consensus and as a result of that no strong policy pro or con.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 09-20-2011

Maybe something like a Constitution would be a good guideline....
Cape Cod,ma