Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions

Highway, Road and Weather Forecast and Radar Conditions Sometimes as we travel throughout the country it may help to know what the current Highway, Road and Weather conditions are. Here is a good place to list current conditions and also good and bad roads that you have found in your travels You will also find here links to all of the USA road conditions and Weather Forecast and Radar condition web sites.

Site Search:

Old 06-23-2008
'97 WLWB 43' mid-door

Default California 1 — Pacific Coast Highway

We're working our way to Portland; presently in Arizona and heading toward Tehachapi.

[IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/small_menu.png[/IMG]

[IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/small_link.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/matchCase_Off.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/searchWebSign.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/altMenuSign0.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/contextMenuSign.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/contextMenuSign.png[/IMG]

Anyone who's driven a 60', or so, combination (in our case a 43' plus Grand Cherokee) over The Pacific Coast Highway want to offer comments pro and con on taking CA-1 from Morro Bay and rejoining US-101 north of Ft Bragg? We'll detour on CA-17 from Santa Cruz to Palo Alto before crossing the Golden Gate. We last drove this beautiful coast about 35 years ago, but the Coach Commander won't think much of similar braided-arm driving with our Bird.
If you reply, for ease of collecting responses, we'd appreciate answers to our personal email besides the forum: <FritznJan@ma.com>
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 06-23-2008

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...45-bus-map.htm

This is CalTrans site that has maps where anything over 45 ft is prohibited.
Blue Bird Maps 156
Old 06-23-2008
Former Bird Owner

From LA, you can drive up CA 1 as far as Hearst Castle. Then cut over to 101.

Then take 156 back to 1 at Monterey. (Stop in the area and drive your toad down a way to Big Sur and Carmel.) You can then take 1 all the way into San Francisco, if you wish.

North of San Francisco, CA 1 is "iffy" for a large rig and toad, at best. Stick to 101 and enjoy the redwoods, etc.

As another post pointed out, there's a bunch of restricted zones for over 40' coaches. (Actually, it's "over 40'" that's restricted.

You may see signs that read "Trucks XX feet Kingpin to rear axle not advised." These signs also apply to RVs and Busses, the equivalent measure for a 40' rig is 32' kingpin to rear axle. So, if the restriction is 32' or less, you're not allowed. (As I recall the rule.)

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 06-23-2008
Geek

"not advised" is not a legal prohibition. Whether there is an equivalency between the "kingpin to rear axle" and motorhome lengths I can't say, but the only thing that counts for legality of over-40 is specific prohibitions as noted in the previously posted map link.

That map, which continues to evolve, came into being when California legalized over-40 in 2002 (or was it '03) - prior to that they were illegal period, while obviously trucks of that length were not.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-24-2008
'97 WLWB 43' mid-door

As the notices often suggest, "Inquire locally about road conditions" . . . . Thanks to Brett, Pete and Don for their posts with "local" info. The CalTrans website looks to be a good one to file away for later use. After one meets some logging truck on lesser highways, the kingpin length argument frequently generates discussion. Since I'd posted, I spent some more time with Google Earth and associated composite Mapquest views. Having substantial "road recce" time in fighters, I've marveled over those products for pre-trip reconnaisance. With some scaling effort, it was apparent that some sections of CA-1 were no-brainer "stay outs", but others looked like judicious driving might allow passage. Of course that's my driving, not the dimwit in the oncoming lane. Thanks for the info. Looks like US-101 with side trips will be our plan. The Jeep's gotta earn its keep.
More...(drag mouse)
Next Tab
Forward
Page Bottom
Toggle Bookmarks
Close Tab
Back
Page top
[IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/other_labels.png[/IMG]

[IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/small_menu.png[/IMG]

[IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/small_link.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/matchCase_Off.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/searchWebSign.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/altMenuSign0.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/contextMenuSign.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://easygestures/skin/contextMenuSign.png[/IMG]
Old 06-24-2008
Former Bird Owner

Don, you are correct that "not advised" isn't "illegal." But "not advised" means you're not likely to be able to stay in your lane -- and if you're not able to stay in your lane, that's illegal and you can get a ticket. The CHP is less concerned about the letter of the law as they are about safe driving practices (in most cases with most patrolmen). If you're driving and maintaining safe lane position, you're not likely to get attention from the CHP. If you're all over the road, you're going to get pulled over.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com