Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > Service Centers & Mobile Mechanics

Service Centers & Mobile Mechanics Good Places To Stop For Repairs And Maintenance, Mobile Mechanics, Or Bad Places To Avoid Too -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please add the names of facilities that you can recommend for service and repairs for a 'Bird, or those places to avoid for the same things. Be sure to give as much information as you can....... NAME OF BUSINESS..... BUSINESS LOCATION..... BUSINESS PHONE NUMBER..... BUSINESS CONTACT PERSON..... YEAR/ MODEL/ENGINE/TRANS OF 'BIRD WORKED ON..... WHAT ARE THEIR HOURLY REPAIR RATES..... SERVICE WAS GOOD, OR BAD..... WHAT KIND OF SERVICE, OR REPAIR WAS DONE..... REASON YOU RECOMMEND, OR AVOID DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM..... YOUR NAME..... Here is a tip about how to post your record and comments. First copy the topics above and then open a "New Thread" with the NAME OF THE BUSINESS and/or the TOWN WHERE THE BUSINESS IS LOCATED, then paste what you just copied there and then fill in the information.

Site Search:

Old 01-22-2012

Default Looking for a fair and competent Wanderlodge Mech in Houston

I am a new owner of a Wanderlodge 98 LXI43. I love it but have had issues that my prior motorhome service guy can't handle. I've spent more money with him guessing at solutions than I should have. Does anyone know of a good facility or repairman in Houston. Right now I'm having error messages on the inverters and the alternator isn't charging the batteries. Randy Dupree has been very kind in taking a few calls from me the past few months but I've got to get someone local. I also hope to attend a rally soon so I can meet some folks who can help me get up to speed. Thanks

Ben August
Old 01-22-2012
Forum owner

Ben,its true that most RV techs and truck techs don't have a clue on the Wanderlodge.
Its a complex machine and its not something camping world or a truck stop can fix.
Did you get the batteries charged?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-31-2012

I can't recommend someone for you but you could check to see what others have said here: http://www.rvservicereviews.com/

Click on Texas and see what you think.

Good luck.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 01-31-2012
Consistently clueless

My experience in Texas so far is that even previous Blue Bird dealers are unprepared for working on a Wanderlodge. Buddy Gregg's was the only one in this area with much of a clue.

Someone posted about a facility in San Antonio recently, saying they had a good experience. Iron Horse or something similar? It might be worth your while to travel a little to find a good tech. I remember the post said they had hookups and allowed you to live in the coach as they worked on it. Sounded like a class act.

1990 WB-40 Royal Conversion
GS 810327023 -- FMCA 421581 -- SKP 109591

"[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]"
Walt Kelly, 08/25/1913 - 10/18/1973
Old 01-31-2012

Default good Teck

Ben , i can only share what i have been doing for the past 3 years . do all the research here on the WOG to a particular issue . then visit repair facilities untill you find someone willing to work with you . i have found that paying someone 100 $ per hour to scratch there head is what we are all looking to avoid . With all Birds unique the time spent on the WOG is real money saved .
the hardest part for me has been trying to find a tec willing to lisiten to my suggestions about a issue . they seem to have a way about them that keeps the clock running that drives me NUTS
Case in Point , I had a issue with no power on the starbard side , Jim Nichols shared how there was a contact in a box above the Refer . I informed the tec that here he would find the problem . well you guessed it 5 hrs latter guess were he found the problem .
so find smeone who dosent have big ego

good Luck and may the WOG be with you

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 02-01-2012

Ben, I keep George Morris on a retainer. I have saved hundreds, if not thousands of dollars by having (the) mechanic call George Morris in Ga. Usually they think I am nuts, Their egos think they know more, but he has been on target 100% of the time. The last time was with MMO in the brake system. Sally use to say we were paying to train every bus mechanic in Memphis, Tn to work on a Wanderlodge!
But, you have to be fair to George. I keep track of how much time he is on the phone and round it off and then send a check.
Bruce

Bruce and Sally Summerlin
Germantown, Tennessee
2000 LXi Millinium
Old 06-18-2012

Exclamation Throw a guy a bone

Hey, guys...new Bird Watcher here. I'm about to drive to Canada to pick up my "bluebird". If you find somebody in the Houston Metro who understands these grand ladies....please let us know here on the WOG and esp. over at VintageBirds, because we all are in this together.

Also, I'd love to connect with any of the TX WOG clan from time to time here and there for general info. and to help my wife get used to the idea of going "nomadic" for our silver years.

Joe G.
Hopefully in a '72 by July 4th
Old 01-08-2013

I recently purchases an 86 pt40 8v92 and need some general diesel repairs...(oil lines behind starter replaced). I spent 30 years in the auto repair business and am very leary about just going to any shop. Anyone have any recommendations for diesel repairs in the houston area. I would tackle it myself, but do not have a place to work on it, so i have to trust it to a paid wrench. Any recommendations would be appreciated
Old 01-08-2013

If you are willing to travel to Seguin, there is a great diesel repair shop there, right off I-10. Plus, he owns a bird. His name is Clyde, and his business is Seguin Diesel Truck Repair. His phone is 830 379 7212.
Old 01-08-2013

What Steve said is probably best.

I also look at the Newell Authorized Service Providers which is online and also the Prevost Authorized Service Providers which are online.

In Houston you may call PPL and ask if they recommend anyone. They have to deal with these things daily.
Fruita Colorado