Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Reasons I Bought My Bluebird

Reasons I Bought My Bluebird This is the place to list the reasons you decided to buy a Bluebird and direct others to who are considering a Bluebird.

Site Search:

Old 05-22-2012
Forum Moderator

Default Newel/Foretravel etc Versus Bluebird

Quote from David Brady

Quote "The trouble with Newell is the trouble with Foretravel which is the trouble with all the other generic motorhomes, and that is, none of them are true bus builders. These manufacturers dabble in bus building. Carrying passengers is a whole different mindset. No longer can you can you leave it to Wally the welder. When you carry passengers you're held to higher standard. This is what sets Prevost, MCI, Setra, Blue Bird, and other bus manufacturers apart. I have yet to see an independent endurance test nor any NHTSA standards for any of these other manufacturers." Unquote
Old 11-12-2012

I was watching a show called Extreme RVs last night, and I have to say, I was quite impressed with Newell. Looked much like what I've heard described about the BB factory. They had multiple stations that a coach went through, and they showed the entire process from body/shell fabrication all the way through systems install to final product. One really neat feature on their slideouts was the fact that the floors raised or lowered such that the entire flooring in the coach was at the same "height" once the slideouts were out. They also described how there were no structural issues with the slideouts due to how the frames were built on the chassis.

Then there was Rexhall who showed how the had pretty much "full body" slideouts, which went from just behind the entry door almost all the way to the rear. Wow. I'm not a fan of slideouts but that was really cool. Then the awnings were retracted into the slideout top so that nothing was protruding out the side. Of course tons of wiring and high tech stuff, lots of LED lighting, etc.

Neat to see them being built in their respective factories. I forget how many coats of paint was on the Newell but it was double digits, same with gallons of paint needed. Yee ha!
VB 1570
Old 11-12-2012
davidmbrady

Yikes, did I write that? One of my finer moments no doubt! But, I still stand by it. I think there's a lot to be said for the third party testing that Blue Bird has been subjected to over the last 80 years and how this testing has evolved, refined, and toughened the product.
Old 11-12-2012

I saw that last nght, too (Travel channel 277, DirecTV). I think it was 12 coats of paint. All the time I was watching it, I was thinking it would be fastinating to see some footage about Bluebird.

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition
Old 11-12-2012
RV Appraiser

I have been in several Newells over the years, they are a great coach but I am bias for birds. There are always different strokes for different folks. If I were to buy a Newell it would have to be a mid 80's model just because of its unique styling and charcater. I don't care for the newer Newell models they pretty much look like everyone else.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 11-12-2012

"I don't care for the newer Newell models they pretty much look like everyone else." The one I saw was even uglier "in person" than it was in the pictures. The only thing I liked about it was that it was a mid-entry. Otherwise, I didn't like it at all. I think the one I saw was an 07.

Of course, I don't have $500,000+ to spend, either.
Build number 4371