Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 05-29-2012

Default steps on a fc

the prior owner, evidently ran into something and bent the retractable step mechanism on my 78 fc. Tried to repair, but the shocks, etc are beyond repair. Doesn't come out unless they are pried out with a crowbar. So I want to remove the whole thing, and build some custom steps. COncerned about the air - do the hoses need to be capped off, the switch on the inside landing seems to work, but the steps are too far gone to go in and out. Anything I would need to do except just pull the thing out? thanks again
Old 05-29-2012
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by thardst1 View Post
the prior owner, evidently ran into something and bent the retractable step mechanism on my 78 fc. Tried to repair, but the shocks, etc are beyond repair. Doesn't come out unless they are pried out with a crowbar. So I want to remove the whole thing, and build some custom steps. COncerned about the air - do the hoses need to be capped off, the switch on the inside landing seems to work, but the steps are too far gone to go in and out. Anything I would need to do except just pull the thing out? thanks again
Got a complete functioning step asseembly. It is a FC pull off. $125.00 for the step or $175.00 with a like new air solenoid valve assy. Shipping is extra
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_5869.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	16469   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_5870.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	16470  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 05-29-2012

how would I know if I need the solenoid assembly? Looking to spend more than that on building steps, so would definitely be interested in the steps. Can the step assembly be pulled out manually w/o the solenoid? thanks
Old 05-29-2012

Quote:
how would I know if I need the solenoid assembly? Looking to spend more than that on building steps, so would definitely be interested in the steps. Can the step assembly be pulled out manually w/o the solenoid? thanks
The air solenoid is up under and behind the step and they usually do 1 of 3 things, work, don't work or just leak They are about $115.00 new.

The step can be pulled out manually too. There should be a little metal catch holding it up and the bar attached to the air cylinder rod end should cam over and lock the step open when pulled down. Be extremely careful! A malfuntioning aired up step can literally take your arm off

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
Clearwater, Florida
Old 05-29-2012

so in your pics, the solenoid is the silver cylinder? I am thinking that manually pulling them out is preferred...my steps are too far bent up to use, so how much would shipping be to 78654? maybe without the solenoid, thinking if the solenoid I have doesn't work, then will go the manual route. thanks, Tom
Old 05-29-2012

You need the complete assemble. The step comes out when the door opens if working correctly. What Ryan has will bolt right up to your bent up step.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-29-2012

Quote:
so in your pics, the solenoid is the silver cylinder? I am thinking that manually pulling them out is preferred...my steps are too far bent up to use, so how much would shipping be to 78654? maybe without the solenoid, thinking if the solenoid I have doesn't work, then will go the manual route. thanks, Tom
Tom,

Basically what is in the picture is a complete step assemby with the air cylinder for the $125.00.

The solenoid (the extra $50.00 and not pictured) is what is electrically triggered by the various switches as Ed has said and supplies coach air to pressurize the air cylinder to either open or close the step.

http://www.dupreeproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0100P%2D020

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
Clearwater, Florida
Old 05-29-2012

Quote:
JMHO, but I think if you buy the steps and the cylinder, I would go ahead and buy the solenoid with it. I wouldn't go to a manual step when you have everything else in place, especially for $50 difference. The automatic retracting step is a nice feature to have.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 05-29-2012

Pretty sure the steps would actually work if they were not bent crazy....cause there is pressure built up when we pried them out. but sure, Ryan, send me a quote to get them shipped to 78654, thanks, Tom..this is something I can install myself, right?(I mean the solenoid)...

Last edited by thardst1; 05-29-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Ryan not Rick:)
Old 05-29-2012

Quote:
Pretty sure the steps would actually work if they were not bent crazy....cause there is pressure built up when we pried them out. but sure, Ryan, send me a quote to get them shipped to 78654, thanks, Tom..this is something I can install myself, right?(I mean the solenoid)...
Tom,

If the steps are the same and they should be, the entire assy. is held in place with 4 bolts from above. Pretty straight forward. Your solenoid is probably fine? Have you tried taking the step apart and straightening things back up. It can be done if not too bent up

Shipping would probably set you back $60.00~$80.00 The step weighs about 50lbs. give or take. My zip is 33764

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
Clearwater, Florida