Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-18-2012

Default Primus/Foretravel electric water valve help

Hello all,

I own a 1995 Foretravel U320. It must be about the only Foretravel that was made with the Primus heat/hot water system.

I have read the posts on this forum about the Primus in a effort to try and learn as much as possible about its operation. I believe that they are not exactly the same as the BlueBird systems, but I think they are close.

I think I'm having a issue with one of the electric water valves. I would like to replace it and wondered where I might be able to find a replacement.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-18-2012

Lon, you have a pic of that valve, and the model number of the Primus?
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 11-18-2012

I will try and post pictures of the valve and the Primus boilers.
Its GREAT to find somebody that knows about this system!

I'm also going to try and post a picture of wires that were cut prior to my taking possession of the coach. Hopefully somebody may be able to tell me what they were hooked up to and why somebody would cut them.

The system works fine with these wires cut.

Thanks again for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electric valve 2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	19107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric valve 1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	19108   Click image for larger version

Name:	primus 2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	19109   Click image for larger version

Name:	primus wiring 1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	19110  
Old 11-19-2012
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by lframke View Post
I will try and post pictures of the valve and the Primus boilers.
Its GREAT to find somebody that knows about this system!

I'm also going to try and post a picture of wires that were cut prior to my taking possession of the coach. Hopefully somebody may be able to tell me what they were hooked up to and why somebody would cut them.

The system works fine with these wires cut.

Thanks again for your help!
Can you get the numbers off the piece? I can see it is a Bosch component, Made in France, but the Bosch part number isn't legible. May as well get all the numbers off it...

I would take that number, include the mfg name, and google it. This simple technique often reveals information about the function of the component, and the part number that has superceded it (if it is no longer available). Be sure to look at the search results for any vendors who offer it for sale on the web.

I can't tell from the pics (#1 and 2) what the function of the part might be. But I don't see any plumbing associated with it, so perhaps it isn't a valve at all. If it is a purely electrical part (not a fluid flow control of some sort), and you're sure it belongs with the Primus, and the Primus works fine without it, there are not many functions it could serve.

I'd suggest identifying the function of the "valve" by its Bosch identifier number, and working backwards from that to discover what function was severed by cutting the wires.

Each Primus boiler has an electric circulation pump on the bottom of the boiler. Looking at the 4th pic you posted (with the air bag in the shot), it looks to me like one of these pump could be involved. Perhaps (and I'm guessing) a previous owner (PO) gutted the original pump when it failed and added a circ pump elsewhere in the plumbing?

Good luck with this. Someone with more Primus experience will come along to help, in the mean time see if you can get the Bosch numbers off the part, they'll make the answer to your question more findable with a web search or phone call to the Bosch distributor.

--Ned
Full-time in 2019

Last edited by nbedinger; 11-19-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-19-2012

Are the first two pics just snap disks?
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 11-19-2012
Forum owner

the first 2 pics are of the bottom of a control valve.
Its the winter/summer valve,i think.
Having never worked on a Foretravel.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-20-2012

The pictures show the end of the valve. The other end has two hose connections. This all started when I noticed that one of the valves was hot. When I disconnected the power it cooled down. I figured a short and thought I would just replace the 3 aging valves.

I take it the Primus when installed in the BlueBird uses a different set-up for water control.

I really appreciate your help. The primus questions on the Foretravel Forum fall on deaf ears. Today I found out why. I received a email from somebody that worked at Foretravel. He told me that only about 3 coaches were made with the Primus system (1995). Two were made for a experimental edition called the Foretravel Forever model. It featured a Jacuzzi tub. It was determined that the Primus system could generate enough hot water for this to work. After this model was discontinued Foretravel went with the Aquahot and used up the remaining Primus equipment on my, and maybe one more Foretravel.

I'm sure glad BlueBird used it on more coaches, at least I have somebody to ask about it.

Thanks!