Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 10-15-2008
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Default How many times? FC gen cover...ID 10 T ME

Hello all I finally tore myself away from Hershey, PA and Fedeli Coachworks this morning and am now anchored at Sam’s in Elmira, NY. This weekend is vintage car racing at Watkins Glen where I get to watch my 70 year old brother in law race his 38 Ford in-line 8.
The Hershey experience was terrific! Not a drop of rain or cloud in the sky. Temps in the 70's, great food , lots to do or not do. your pleasure. I think it will be a hard act to follow.

The coach is performing better than ever with headlight upgrade and Pro-Sine 2.0 as a wonderful addition.

Lisa flew back to NH on Monday and today was my first solo.
My only mishap beside getting turned around a bit by the woman insid my GPS was once again tearing away at the generator cover! John Heckman was kind to help me repair it last week and today I managed to catch it on something again... had no clue until I stepped out of the coach... not pretty. I get the ID 10 T award for that two weeks in a row! So how may times do I have to do this before I am truly initiated? Arghh!

This will force me to modify the thing. It appears to be two inches or so lower than it needs to be, and I'm wondering if I could fabricate one out of some other material and mount it higher and contour it as much as possible... perhaps some kind of ABS?

Any suggestions...?

Thanks - Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 10-15-2008
Forum owner

raising the generator 2'' was something that was very popular years ago,evrything but the outside cover was raised.
something else i have done is to raise the ride height of the coach up an inch or so.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-15-2008
Gardner

Bill,
I would think that it will take 5 times, then you will accept the damage as an upgrade and not worry about it any more.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-16-2008

Gardner,

Your absolutely right! I have it figured out. Just need to keep a pry bar, hammer and some undercoating in the compartment next to the slide.

Now, every time I tear at it I will end up with a new and unpredictable outcome. Its really an advanced form of abstract art that is constantly evolving.

Truly remarkable... these little coaches were so far ahead of their time!

Thanks - Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Old 10-16-2008

Randy,

How difficult was raising the gen-set and was it worth the effort? Did adjusting the suspension upward have a noticeable effect on handling and how is this done?

Thanks for the input. Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Old 10-16-2008
Forum owner

i never raised one of the gennys personaly,i did hear alot about it back in the day.
raising the coach ride height is done with the air bags,you adjust the height control valves to raise it up.
i did 2 coachs that way,both owners raved about the driveabilty change,they loved it,and they no longer hit the gennie door in rough parking lots.
something else you should look at is John Finns gennerator door mods,the door swings open for easy access to the engine,and the fan was replaced with a squirrel cage fan in a successful attemp to quiet it down.
pics are on his website

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-16-2008
Senior

Why not make a two piece cover with the bottom 3 inches or so replaceable. Take the cover off and cut the bottom off and then have someone weld to two ends shut so you can bolt it together. Next time you crunch it just fix the bottom part which is just painted flat black anyway.
6V92